Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse

How To Post Images

Want to know the how to upload images to your posts? Image Posting Tutorial
See more
See less

My rod job did not work...H/O says it was an estimate!

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: My rod job did not work...H/O says it was an estimate!

Originally posted by BadgerDave View Post
    Not to pick on NLP or his equipment but that was kind of my point. An experienced plumber should pretty much know very quickly whether or not the repair will be an easy job or not. The condition and age of the existing piping is something that should be noted before a job is even started. Then and there would be the time to inform the homeowner that the pipe might need to be replaced not after some time has been spent trying to free up the blockage and failing to do so. If all the cards are on the table before the game starts then nobody can be accused of cheating.

You think so? From the get go, I told the lady it was a long 2" run. I always build up my customers to expect the unexpected. How much time would you spend on a clog? I spent 30 minutes on it, then 20 minutes researching the layout on a ladder in a dropped ceiling. Then 30-40 minutes bartering my career with the husband.

There are people like this everywhere. I did nothing wrong.

Comment

Badger Dave you should see the games people play, I take a call for a clogged drain I ask has it ever clogged before trying to gain history, they say nope never, I ask have you tried to already clear it with a snake or Draino? They say no I figured I'd call a pro! I go there there is empty draino bottles in the kitchen, and a badly twisted cable and snake sitting there also. They didn;'t even hide the evidence I run my snake out and have a hard time getting to take the bends, I spend a long time on this, after 45 min the wife mentions the last plumber had a hard time also
      I get the old galvanized line clear but it comes back with lots of rust and grease I tell them the line really should be replaced they say yes and I know they won't do it and will call a drain guy next time. I increase my bill by $50 from what I said on the phone they ask why? I say because my cable just took a beating in the acid bath the Drano just gave it that they said they didn't do. Drano kills snake cables. This is not a really extreme deal it happens all the time on customers that I have never worked for.
      Seattle Drain Service

Comment

Badgerdave has obviously NEVER cleaned drains professionally. There have been plenty of drains I couldn't open in my career. Only because the drains needed to be replaced. Collapsed orangeberg pipe, rusted shut galvanized, etc. Its sometimes impossible to know beforehand if its possible to clear them or not until you try it.

The whole point is this guy is a total scumbag, he is trying to get something for nothing, and make a stranger work on his nasty drains for FREE! He was given the option to replace the drain, he should have done it. He didn't want to, because he is a cheapskate scum, fine, then pay the plumber for his time and call someone else!

I get these customers once in awhile too, and they are awful. Luckily, 90% of people are nice and fair and honest. But the rest are lying, cheating thieves and I try to avoid them entirely.

And WHY DOES EVERYONE THINK THEY ARE ENTITLED TO FREE IN-HOME ESTIMATES FOR SMALL JOBS??? I am not driving out to a stranger's house with my expensive time and gas and $60,000 worth of truck and tools and inventory just so mr. price-shopping bargain-hunter can tell me he's got ten other plumbers on the way. NO WAY!
        Water Heater Reviews & Water Heater Information

Comment

OK, inquiring minds want to know: what the heck did they get into a 9-year-old PVC line that you couldn't get through with a K-50? Were there too many bends or something?

Not questioning your judgement, just curious as to whether it was incorrectly piped or full of concrete or something.

Comment

Originally posted by NorthernIllinoisPlumber View Post
            Sure enough...Rodded a kitchen sink, turns out completely blocked with grease, grime and a bunch of hard junk! The pipe needs to be cut out, and replaced. Homeowner says since I did not fix the problem, I was only giving him an estimate! Here is the 411...first he wanted a "deal" for cutting out the 2" Drain pipe. When I would not budge on my hourly rate, he wanted me to apply the initial call price to the repair. When I applied $50, he then wanted the whole amount applied to the repair. At this point, I told him if he was not going to pay for my service I was leaving...he held out the money, I took it. Anyone ever call the police for "theft of service?" Live and learn...
            My first year of being a helper, the boss asks if I want to make some extra cash one night. He hands me a stack of 10 or 12 work orders and says go turn the water off at these addresses. No need to knock on the door just turn them off outside at the meter. *wink* *wink*

I never asked why and he never said but I suspect it was for customers like that guy

Comment

Originally posted by Herk View Post
              OK, inquiring minds want to know: what the heck did they get into a 9-year-old PVC line that you couldn't get through with a K-50? Were there too many bends or something?

Not questioning your judgement, just curious as to whether it was incorrectly piped or full of concrete or something.
              Actualy, I was wondering the same thing. The only time I couldn't get a pvc drain open was because of something really FUBAR'd about it.
              Water Heater Reviews & Water Heater Information

Comment

Ok, try to picture this...the kitchen sink is in the corner, both outside walls. The 2" drain goes down the outside wall, lays on the subfloor, under the sink cabinet. It runs over two joist spaces, then drops in the basement ceiling with a longsweep/45 combo. Then a cleanout tee. Then it runs about 30' to 3". I am able to push the cable to the 3". The cable comes out full of hair, grease and food. I go in the basement, and SLOWLY unscrew the cleanout...nothing comes out. I put my gloved fingers in the tee and nothing but a hard, smelly grime. This is what I think is going on. The fiasco that was run "as plumbing" is possibly backpitched under the cabinet, and with all the bends, has been completely blocked. Normally you see this with galvenized, old piping. I did see it another time with 2" PVC. The hangars had come undone, formed a belly, and filled an 8' length with solid grease and food. That was cut out as well.

Comment

Originally posted by NorthernIllinoisPlumber View Post
                  I did see the warning signs right after the diagnosis. However, it was a losing battle. You should have heard the message he left on the machine. He even stated I used profanity, man now I REALLY know how this guy works!

We do have a new policy though: We do not rod, just cut out the pipe.
                  The Guy on Your aviator would have delt better with this BUSTURD!
                  I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

To anyone who cares.
                    NIP,I feel bad for you,this guy shopped others before he chose you to put the screwin' to.
                    I used to network with one of these thieves for a few years and got to know exactly how they work.
                    It took me(booze zombie) a long time to see through him.When I finally could see the real person he figured he'd better screwed me five grand off twenty before I moved on.
                    Everyone at one point or another gets taken by this guy.
                    I did here that his last project for one of his mistresses was a pile of garbage cause none of us would help him.She paid top dollar.Sad she has no idea.

Thank goodness you weren't into this guy for big zeros.

Oh,and for the record,daddy taught him everything he knows.He's worth millions and he's still not done cheating.

Comment

He needs a new branch! You're a 100 % right. He'll have blockages forever! You need a better written agreement,signed before You unload tools. Ask here for help
                      I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Working...
                      X