Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Transporting Acetylene Gas

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Transporting Acetylene Gas

    Welding gas likely caused blast





    An explosion that destroyed a car on a residential street and sent its driver to the hospital Thursday morning was likely caused by a leaking acetylene-gas tank in the back seat, according to investigators.



    Authorities said fumes from a small leak in the tank ignited when the driver, Anthony Nuss, 30, of 3609 Krierview Drive, started his car at about 8:20 a.m. as he left his home for work.
    Green Township Fire Department Lt. Mike Nie said the tank may have been leaking overnight.
    "As far as we know, there's no cause for concern for this being a criminal act," Nie said. It is what Nie described as a "very unfortunate set of circumstances."
    Nuss was taken to University Hospital for treatment of burns. His injuries, according to the sheriff's office, were believed to be non-life-threatening.
    The explosion scattered debris several hundred feet in all directions. The car's bumper ended up about 150 feet behind the car.
    Some debris landed on the rooftops of homes, and the blast blew out windows of at least two homes on either side of Nuss' car, a red Chevrolet Cavalier.
    Ray Cella, 48, who lives on Musketeer Drive near Nuss' home, said he saw the explosion from his house. He described it as "an extremely bright light, like a magnesium flash."
    He said shortly after that, the gas tank blew.
    Robyn Delgado, 35, came out of her house after the explosion. "The car was totally on fire. Not the back, not the front, but the entire thing," she said.
    Delgado witnessed an unidentified woman pull Nuss from the burning car.
    He was on fire, Delgado said. The woman called for water.
    Delgado yelled to roll Nuss on the ground to put out the flames.
    Delgado said by then several people running toward the scene took off their shirts to help smother the fire.
    "It was awful. I've never seen anything like it. I'm still shaking."
    Cella said he ran to the scene with a fire extinguisher.
    A Hamilton County sheriff's deputy dragged Nuss farther away from the car as small explosions continued, Cella said. He said Nuss kept asking if he was going to be all right even after the deputy said he would be fine.
    "He kept repeating it, so I knew he couldn't hear," Cella said.
    Investigators from Green Township, the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives and the Hamilton County Sheriff's Office were on the scene until early afternoon.
    Mike Silverglade, who lives 10 houses from where the explosion occurred, said the noise was so loud he thought a tree had fallen on his house. "I've never seen response time so fast," he said. "It was phenomenal. They were here within seconds."
    Another resident was eating breakfast when he heard the blast. "I was in the middle of my Cheerios when I thought my furnace had exploded," said Don Kling.
    Neighbors said Nuss is a good neighbor, friendly and often does repairs on his house, where he lives with his wife and two children.
    The explosion knocked out power to homes in the neighborhood. Duke Energy workers secured wires blasted loose by the explosion, but did not turn the power back on while investigators were on scene.




    VIDEO
    Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

  • #2
    Re: Transporting Acetylene Gas

    Damn Noob!


    I bet he lost his job......and for being late for work. IDIOT!
    Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: Transporting Acetylene Gas

      Full article.




      Link to video of the topic.
      http://gannett.a.mms.mavenapps.net/m...ject=911383480
      Last edited by Bob D.; 11-01-2008, 07:31 AM.
      "It's a table saw, do you know where your fingers are?" Bob D. 2006

      https://www.youtube.com/user/PowerToolInstitute

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: Transporting Acetylene Gas

        Thanks for posting the photo Bob.


        To have that tank explode in the back seat, knowing the back of his head was inches away, it's amazing he didn't die...really is.
        Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: Transporting Acetylene Gas

          I bet he shut off the gas at the torch handle instead of the tank.

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: Transporting Acetylene Gas

            Originally posted by Bogart View Post
            I bet he shut off the gas at the torch handle instead of the tank.
            Honest accident...Poor guy...I can see this happening to me before I saw this.I hope I never forget this and tell as many as I can.

            I always think twice about this.I picture myself trapped and seeing the bottle go off in the bed.

            I cannot justify having a small bottle of mapp behind the front seat of my truck.I carry a lot of specialty tools,testing equipment,off hours torch kit etc. back there.


            Thanks for bringing this here Dunbar.

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: Transporting Acetylene Gas

              I can't tell you how many plumbers/fitters in my area think shutting off bottles at the handle, instead of removing the regulator is ok. I was/is very outspoken about this, and many times would give some chimp a verbal beatdown over this, yet I am the arsehole. Well, I have Mapp and acetylene both on my van at all times, they don't go back aboard unless disconnected.

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: Transporting Acetylene Gas

                Bogart has a very good point in removing the regulators. They cost good $$$ and even with the tank valve off you don't want to smash them up. Be sure to put the valve protector caps back on the tanks too.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: Transporting Acetylene Gas

                  Gentlemen,
                  Turning off the acetylene at the torch rather than the bottle has very little to do it with it leaking. In fact, acetylene bottles are known to leak without any regulator on them at all if they are laid down horizontally instead of being transported upright or at a certain incline. This is because the acetylene is contained in acetone. Acetone, being a solvent, will in time eat through seals and produce a leaking tank. Thus, BOOOOM!!! Which is why acetylene should always be transported and stored upright. When it cannot be transported upright and is laid down, it is to be left standing for at least 4 hours before using.

                  Comment

                  Working...
                  X