X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Boom!

I'm busy, I mean busy to where I broke my all time one month record.

I stopped all advertizing after getting almost nothing but DIY inquireies and bargain hunters last month...braced for the worst and put my money into the market (which has panned out very well).

Almost every call I get now is either a regular or a referral.

I have a theory, I think a trend is starting..I think people will start swaying from larger flashier shops with fancy ads and colorful trucks, to smaller shops that handle customers one on one.

We all just witnessed some of the biggest, most trusted financial institutions fail and almost take our way of life with them...all in the name of corrupt greed, cutting corners for profit, special interest lobbying and then attempt to label it "legal".

I'm hearing that larger shops are suffering, yet I'm into 7 day weeks again.

Had a guy (a referral) tell me just last night that he won't bother picking up the yellow pages or look online...he only hires through referrals now.

I don't think what he said was a coincidence...I'm almost willing to bet money that we'll see the Ben Franklins and Rooters start to dissappear within the next six months.

Re: Boom!

Mark,

Glad to see things are picking up for you.

Mark
    "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Originally posted by ToUtahNow View Post
      Mark,

Glad to see things are picking up for you.

Mark
      It's just bizarre, I stopped spending on advertizing, braced for the worst and figured we'd have to live on savings for a few months.

By the way, I took yer advice and sold MS at $19, it then went up to $22...gggrrrrrr

Comment

That's great news mark. I'm real happy to hear this.
        Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Originally posted by gear junkie View Post
          That's great news mark. I'm real happy to hear this.
          Not a jab...I was considering opening a thread titled "Why I'm glad I didn't buy a drain cleaner".

Right now my truck iis a nuclear waste site...I have to clean/organize this afternoon...I'm off right now to wrap a bath remodel, back later.

Comment

I hope the rooters and others dont collapse. That would mean a lot of cheap labor flooding the business world.

Comment

They (big franchises) won't collapse. But I agree with Mark, that they will see some market 'correction.' Also, I have had people tell me specifically that they called me because they didn't want some 'BIG' company, as they have burned before by bad service and inflated prices, and they would rather deal with a company like mine, where the owner comes directly to their house! The local franchises are my main competition and I know at least a couple that are slow. Meanwhile, I have had three record months in a row. October in particular was STELLAR!!! If I can reproduce October's results every month, then I will be doing quite well.

Anyway, congrats on your success Mark!
              Last edited by Service Guy; 11-02-2008, 09:20 PM.
              Water Heater Reviews & Water Heater Information

Comment

The Duckman ROCKS.
                Great news Mark.

Comment

I to have been told I was called because I was local, and 100% accountable. Face it...the big companies can afford to send morons out to scam and make people mad. We (local) shops have to give 110% to keep customers. I am not talking about cheap prices, or cutting deals. I mean fair pricing, a great work ethic, and actually LISTENING to customers! Accountability pays.

Comment

Originally posted by NorthernIllinoisPlumber View Post
                    I to have been told I was called because I was local, and 100% accountable. Face it...the big companies can afford to send morons out to scam and make people mad. We (local) shops have to give 110% to keep customers. I am not talking about cheap prices, or cutting deals. I mean fair pricing, a great work ethic, and actually LISTENING to customers! Accountability pays.
                    Dead on...just home at 10 pm, happy customer in my wake.

Big companies won't send someone in on a sunday just to get a job done when the schedule is too booked.

Comment

Good to hear you're busy. I ended up the same way and today I shut the phones down because I spent my day with swollen numb hands and swollen feet, my back so sore that I became a vegetable and watched tv, fooled around on the internet.

Going to bed early and making a go at a clogged urinal in the morning,

leaking hose bibb

then a water heater replacement.

3 jobs and on monday's I land enough work to spread/layout the week, not including the sporatic calls that filter in day by day.

Even though the money is good, I cut back on eating out, I'm chewing my food longer, and making sure 1 day a week I don't drive/leave the shop.
                      Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

I work for a large company and I can tell you that I tell my customers if I cannot get to you I will not charge overtime for a visit on the weekend or if it is late. I feel that it is unfair to make a customer sit home and loose their salary for the day and then have to pay us. So I try to make it reasonable for the customer.

So if the customer calls me on a Friday and I cannot get to them I will do it on Saturday for regular pay.

Also am glad to see you are busy. We are slammed at this time as well.

Comment

I always charge overtime. They wont work for their boss with out overtime pay and they cant expect you to do it. I could work 24/7 at times but I like anyone else need a day off once in a while. If you want my service on Saturday or Sunday your gonna pay over time. It`s now 8:00 here and I just got back to the shop. did a 140` install that was a real pita then did 4 clean-outs. I could work all night if I wanted but I would like to see my kids grow. It`s called quality of life if you work all the time and do it for no extra you will grow old and lonely and have no-one to share all your wealth with. If your times worth nothing then do it for free but I feel my time is worth every cent as I`ve spent a life time getting to where I`m at.
                          http://www.all-clear-sewer.com/

Comment

I used to work for a National name brand. I quit on July 1st this year. On my own now trying to get to Duck Butter's status. I know I will get there. I much prefer working for myself then for someone else or a big corporation.
                            ANYONE CAN TAKE THE HELM WHEN THE SEA IS CALM.

Comment

My back, knee's, shoulders and joints are sore..back to a boiler job to wrap up tomorrow and then it looks like I "might" finally have some down time.

I found out why the local market went nuts - an inspector last week had to actually schedule an inspection for the next day (which is ALWAYS same day here)...he explained that he was swamped in boiler inspections.

People here have been going nuts to get rid of old inefficient gas & especially oil boilers in lieu of the surge in oil prices this past year.

Still braced in expectation of a slowdown, but maybe we'll get lucky.

Comment

Working...
                              X