X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Copper water service stolen

Has any one ever had this happen? If so how did you fix it? Have ever tried to solder a copper to pex fitting on copper, crimp pex to copper then pull copper out fom slab with pex cripmed on to copper. I had three rolls of copper broken off in a commercial building. One of them I can tunnel under footing to get new service in, the other two are more difficult.

Re: Copper water service stolen

When I was still doing plumbing I worked on about 10 jobs where all of the copper had been taken. All of these were in the city, where the incoming water service is still lead, so they left that alone. Luckily all of the houses had a full basement to work in. In many of them the water meter was even broken off and taken to scrap, just letting the basement flood.
    Distractions are everywhere, don't lose sight of your dream.

Comment

Originally posted by Big Jim
      Yes. We've done it for short loops, from one manifold to another, that were leaking under the slab and there was no easy or inexpensive way to access the leak, or repiping was not an option. It's not easy, but it can be done on short runs.
      These are all striaght runs and never been connected to anything inside the building only outside to cut off valve. This on on a shell building ready to finish out.
      Did you use a backhoe or mini track?

Comment

we use a "sock" (looks like a big chinese finger trap)when we pull our waterlines most pull fairly easily. a little help from our diesel van always works though
        Mike
        Clark County Plumbing And Drain
        www.plumbinginclarkcounty.com

Comment

Originally posted by haycad View Post
          we use a "sock" (looks like a big chinese finger trap)when we pull our waterlines most pull fairly easily. a little help from our diesel van always works though
          Thanks haycad. Is that the same thing electricians use to pull cable?
          That sounds like a great idea wish I would have thought of that before.

Comment

in most pex warranty's its stated that you cant pull it (but i generally misplace that paper) the pipe seems to handle the pull fine its the crimped fittings that dont fare to well. you can purchase or maybe even rent a sock we get ours from ditch witch
            Mike

Comment

Originally posted by haycad View Post
              Where did you get your ""sock" from? We are trying to find a place to buy em.
              http://www.all-clear-sewer.com/

Comment

Originally posted by plumbertim1975 View Post
                Has any one ever had this happen? If so how did you fix it? Have ever tried to solder a copper to pex fitting on copper, crimp pex to copper then pull copper out fom slab with pex cripmed on to copper. I had three rolls of copper broken off in a commercial building. One of them I can tunnel under footing to get new service in, the other two are more difficult.
                We run a cable down the inside of the old line with our new line hooked to the cable. As you pull the cable, the old line comes out and the new line goes in.

Comment

Originally posted by All Clear Sewer View Post
                  we get ours from ditch witch i dont know if there around you or not im not sure "sock" is the correct term either? but thats what we call them ,they work great
                  Mike

Comment

Yea we got a ditch witch dealer about 40 miles down the road. I`ll give em a call and see what they got. We have been looking for one for a long time. The only thing I can find is the one for pulling cable.
                    We do our pulling with the backhoe and it works great with running the cable through the pipe.

Comment

We run a cable down the inside of the old line with our new line hooked to the cable. As you pull the cable, the old line comes out and the new line goes in.
                      What kind of cable are you refering to? Something like aircraft cable?

Comment

Up here in Rochester , they were actually breaking into basements of homes while people were at work and stealing all the copper lines
                        Help With Your Pool Or Spa Pump?►WeT HeaD Pump Repair ► Watch Me On YouTube: Pool & Spa Pump Repair TV
                        New: Pump Repair MagazineNew: Pool & Spa Pump Repair Forums

Comment

I think these guys have what you are looking for. The are in England though so it might be problematic to get.

http://www.super-rod.co.uk/
                          Last edited by Ace Sewer; 11-07-2008, 02:11 AM.
                          This is my reminder to myself that no good will ever come from discussing politics or religion with anyone, ever.

Comment

Did you check greenlee?
                            Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Originally posted by PlumbingSkool View Post
                              Up here in Rochester , they were actually breaking into basements of homes while people were at work and stealing all the copper lines
                              That is one reason I started using pex instead of copper.

Comment

Working...
                              X