X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stainless threaded pipe

I will be helping some guys put together some stainless threaded piping. Having never done this before I was wondering what the best sealing compound would be. Pipe dope? Teflon tape? I'm really interested in a particular product if possible. Thanks

Re: Stainless threaded pipe

The material (stainless) and type of connection (threaded) is part of the puzzle. What is the process in the pipe? This will weigh in your decision too (or should).
    ---------------
    Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
    ---------------
    “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
    ---------
    "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
    ---------
    sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Originally posted by rookie plumber View Post
      I will be helping some guys put together some stainless threaded piping. Having never done this before I was wondering what the best sealing compound would be. Pipe dope? Teflon tape? I'm really interested in a particular product if possible. Thanks
      Pink Masters teflon has worked well for me - iv'e however never threaded it - think special chasers are required.

Comment

" What is the pipe gonna be used for?" = Process

Comment

A non potable application, a heat exchanger to cool down a mile long saw blade.

Comment

Need pics, lot's of pics.
            Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Sorry these guys are very fussy and said no to the pictures, brand new technology and I have to respect their wishes. It's possible that they may read this and change their mind but I doubt it.

Comment

why on earth stainless?

it is so expensive and only needed if you are flowing something corrosive or at very high temps, and in either of those cases you should probably weld it. and certainly in either of those cases there is an engineer involved who will tell you in excruciating detail exactly what to use and how to do it (apologies to any engineers; I used to be one of you if that helps you swallow it...you know it's true).

If it is just cooling water or cooling fluid for the saw, why not copper? or black pipe?

What are you flowing, what is its temp and pressure?
                Last edited by Ace Sewer; 11-07-2008, 03:03 AM.
                This is my reminder to myself that no good will ever come from discussing politics or religion with anyone, ever.

Comment

Originally posted by Ace Sewer View Post
                  why on earth stainless?

it is so expensive and only needed if you are flowing something corrosive or at very high temps, and in either of those cases you should probably weld it. and certainly in either of those cases there is an engineer involved who will tell you in excruciating detail exactly what to use and how to do it (apologies to any engineers; I used to be one of you if that helps you swallow it...you know it's true).

If it is just cooling water or cooling fluid for the saw, why not copper? or black pipe?

What are you flowing, what is its temp and pressure?

Key Word:

ENGINEER
                  Just got into it again with one over some structual 14 guage studs in the showers.
                  They're worse than banks at wasting money.Seams like everyone of them are trying to "ONE-UP" the last one in some crackpot idea that's now necessary.Doesn't matter if you've had fifty working for fifty years.

Comment

a 5,280 Ft. saw blade !! Hard to believe!!!!!!
                    Last edited by toolaholic; 11-07-2008, 10:05 PM. Reason: Over worked !!
                    I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

My choice would be a quality Teflon tape, in accordance with MIL-T-27730.

If this is your first stainless screw job, you'll probably learn more than you ever wanted to know about thread cutting speed and cutting lubricant before you're done. Good luck!

Comment

This isn't pipe, but it is about stainless. I remember a time back on McConnell AFB when we were putting a KC-135 up on a pedestal for a static display. They were using SS bolts and nuts to hold the landing gear to the pedestals we put up. One guy was standing there twirling the huge nut onto the huge bolt as we were BSing and the nut suddenly stopped twirling right in the middle of the threads. We eventually had the bolt in the vise on the back of the truck and were using a backhoe to push against a pipewrench/cheater. Never did get it loose. Always stuck with me as a "danger" about SS and threads.
                        God Bless You Super Good!!!

Comment

Originally posted by toolaholic
                          a 5,0280 Ft. saw blade !! Hard to believe!!!!!!
                          Yeah, hard to believe there are so many digits.

Comment

Originally posted by rookie plumber View Post
                            A non potable application, a heat exchanger to cool down a mile long saw blade.
                            Again, as I and another here asked, what is the process fluid???

Your sealant needs to be compatible with the coolant. It also has to provide lubrication to threads during assembly or galling will be the order of the day and you'll be cussing up a storm.

Any time you are using SS, galling will be an issue that will require attention, especially with bolting material like flange studs, anchor bolts, etc. A quality anti-seize compound is what you want for bolting, like FelPro 5000, Never-Seez, Dow Molykote P37, or another proven product.

If you have nothing better to do here is a 165 report which evaluated 8 of the top thread lubricants (public information, your tax dollars at work) for use in various applications.
                            ---------------
                            Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
                            ---------------
                            “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
                            ---------
                            "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
                            ---------
                            sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

There are lots of engineers but this is new to some of the guys I am working with and because this is a method of pipe joining, they came to me for advise. The heat exchanger portion of the system that I am working on is mostly copper and brass, that's why I was invited on board. Most of the stainless components (in another area away from me) are welded and screwed together. A slurry mix is being pumped at about five gallons a second and the saw blade which resembles a wire is rolled on to two big drums that are sending it through the material to be cut at sixty feet a second. Heat exchangers, a tempering valve, flow meters, sensors, pumps and an expansion tank, it's plumbing, but a little different than what I've been doing on the residential level. There is no thread cutting that I am aware of at this time, all of the components on site have been provided by outside sources for assembly at this location. Thanks for the interest so far, hopefully I will get the A OK to submit a picture sometime soon.

Comment

Working...
                              X