Hot Water...and its dangers.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hot Water...and its dangers.

In the last week I have dealt with a couple customers regarding their hot water heaters and the temerpature they have them set at, or want to set them at. One had the temp at about 140 degrees, the other was set at 120 (when I installed it) and she wanted it hotter. I would not do it. I dont think people realize (or know) the severity of this, especially the elderly and very young (who cannot fend for themselves).

I try to make it a point to check the water heater, at least the temp. Do you?

Re: Hot Water...and its dangers.

I put a new dishwasher in my house and the owners manual said that the water had to be 130 degrees for the dishwasher to work properly. With the new energy star ratings the old heating element drew 15 amps . The new one only draws 7 amps. The factory service guy said that the water needs to be hotter when washing so that the dishes are hotter and will dry quicker. Any one ever hears of this? G e dishwasher

Comment

I would not turn it up anymore!

Comment

I told them to take it back.still waiting for customer relations to call me. If you buy a new dishwasher make sure that it has the added heat option or your dishes wont dry either.

Comment

our company will only set the heaters at 120, i wouldnt go any higher. you ever wash you hand when its been set at 140. it felt like ur hands on fire

Comment

I can see res. water heaters in the future having no temp. adjustment.

Comment

If I've heard correctly, the Building code where I live now stipulates 140 Degrees as the Hot Water tank setting by code due to Legionairres Disease. However I don't know how keen I am about setting hot water tanks this hot although most indirect systems with IBC Boilers we have tend to be set that high and/or they have a control feature built into the Boiler that periodically heats the tank up to 140 to kill the disease if you set it at a lower temperature than 140 (If I recall correctly anyways).

Comment

Originally posted by NorthernIllinoisPlumber View Post
                In the last week I have dealt with a couple customers regarding their hot water heaters and the temerpature they have them set at, or want to set them at. One had the temp at about 140 degrees, the other was set at 120 (when I installed it) and she wanted it hotter. I would not do it. I dont think people realize (or know) the severity of this, especially the elderly and very young (who cannot fend for themselves).

I try to make it a point to check the water heater, at least the temp. Do you?

Every water heater I've installed was set to 120 degrees and not one degree hotter.

The same exact words I'd state if I was to testify in court.

Always remember that when you install a PRV/EXP tank at someone's home with high water pressure, you need to adjust the pressure balanced rotational stops for hot water limits if there are small kids in the home.

They'll be off considerably if you leave them alone, especially if really high pressure was common in the structure.
                Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

Working...
                X