Who still sharpens their bitts ????

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who still sharpens their bitts ????

As an old Carpenter I started out sharpening My own hand saws and circ. saw blades.
    I have multiple sharpening set ups. On the job the other day I hand filed Some of My large
    Millw. augers. A good book is the razors edge. That's what has given Me good skills.
    Smart Buss. ? Maybe not,but I sure enjoy it,and It's real handy. Maybe with some help We can find a good U tube on Auger sharpening. Wonder If any trade schools are passing this on to the Kids? Thanks Tool
    I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Re: Who still sharpens their bitts ????

i plan on sharpening my bitts as soon as i get me a bitt sharpener.

i frequent the dump here and i find many, many good tools there. mostly wrenches and drill bits.

i guess alot of people can't be bothered to take the time to re-sharpen or even clean their tools.

good for me. i'll take them.

i guess i'm from a different generation, old school. and that's okay, i am who i am.

i look at the tools i've gotten for nothing other than a little elbow grease to bring them back up to working condition with great pride.

Vince

Comment

I always kept a file to sharpen my augure bits when I was doing new home plumbing. I knew sticking my head in the floor joist and pushing wasn't the way it should be when I was apprenticing. The trouble is all I can do is put a sharp edge on the blade and teeth but eventually I'd have to let a pro get all the depths of the teeth and the angles back to the way they should be.

For regular drill bits the drill doctor ROCKS. Great investment.

Comment

I do

Comment

I sharpen everything but skillsaw blades, annular cutters, drills, and augurs cost$$$

Comment

Originally posted by saysflushable View Post
            I always kept a file to sharpen my augure bits when I was doing new home plumbing. I knew sticking my head in the floor joist and pushing wasn't the way it should be when I was apprenticing. The trouble is all I can do is put a sharp edge on the blade and teeth but eventually I'd have to let a pro get all the depths of the teeth and the angles back to the way they should be.

For regular drill bits the drill doctor ROCKS. Great investment.
            i do the same thing and the drill doctor is the best drill sharpening tool i spent money on

no only if they had a tool to sharpen hole saws ,we had a drive kor by us that did it but they stopped doing it
            Charlie

My seek the peek fundraiser page
            http://observatory.mountwashington.o...nal&fr_id=1040

http://www.mountwashington.org/weather/conditions.php

new work pictures 12/09
            http://public.fotki.com/hvachawk/

Comment

Drill Doctor is the Best for sure...

I need to keep a file on the truck for those odd sharpening jobs...good idea.

Comment

I do as well it only takes a few minutes per bit.I try and teach a guy whenever I can,and if he cares.

Comment

I use a Tormek sharpener to sharpen most of the tools in my wood shop.
                  sigpic

Comment

In case you don't know, there is a special file for sharpening auger bits. I'll post a pic of one tomorrow if you like.
                    Jim

Comment

I've seen plumbers use power tools and grinders to sharpen their self feed bits.
                      To me, it just shortens the life and use of them. The grinders don't put the right angle on the bit, and they take off too much.
                      A hand file with a sharp angle does best.
                      By that I mean not the ones that are like a rectangle.
                      That way you can shave it right into the corners.
                      Obama the Plumber

Comment

Working...
                      X