What do you hate about your job?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: What do you hate about your job?

The usual gripes; traffic, parking, jetting from an access over my head, night calls. The stupid stuff that is part of any job. Worst part of it really is the fact that it is winter most of the year here, and I am damp most of the time, and I get cold more easily every year.

Iv'e been an engineer; never want to sit in a cubical again. The occaisional sewage splash in the face and eau d' grease trap pale in comparison to that horror.

I've been a heavy equipment oiler and mechanic. Poop may stink but it washes right off. Lay in a puddle of diesel mud for an hour and you will stink for days.

All in all, I can't think of anything I'd rather be doing. If I could, I'd be doing it.
    This is my reminder to myself that no good will ever come from discussing politics or religion with anyone, ever.

Comment

GD inspectors and their multiple interpretations of the same thing.

Trades that don't respect each other. I try not to put the DWV in the way of lights, A/C ductwork etc. & think others should return the same effort in there placements.

Insurance.

Paperwork.

Redundant code changes.

J.C.

Comment

Long hours at the desk after the long hours in the field
        Taxes, taxes and more taxes.
        Keeping everybody happy
        Answering the phone
        SCHEDULING!!!!
        Prioritizing family and work
        Getting to the job and finding out that the part you were sure you had 5 of-you ain't got none of
        Pretending like it's hard work so the customer won't feel so bad paying my confiscatory rates
        Worrying
        Hey, what time is it? Did I already mention long hours at the desk?
        "Man will do many things to get himself loved, he will do all things to get himself envied." Mark Twain

Comment

Living under a code that has been butchered by Architorcherists and large GC's to fit thier Ideals at the cost of safety, sanitation and value to customers
          Mike

Comment

My green hands (I just can't do gloves),

throbbing pain in my joins from working with 1-1/4" + BM pipe,

customers that try to pick at the final job as if an imperfection entitles them to as discount (had to explain to a customer that he didn't need a tank the size of his well tank for his boiler TXT last night).

Comment

Originally posted by DuckButter View Post
              My green hands (I just can't do gloves),

throbbing pain in my joins from working with 1-1/4" + BM pipe,

customers that try to pick at the final job as if an imperfection entitles them to as discount (had to explain to a customer that he didn't need a tank the size of his well tank for his boiler TXT last night).
              I don't understand how or what kind of a guy these types of manipulators choose to try and screw.A lot of them fish hard with some really good bait.

In construction I've always been paid in full on my contracts(scumbag who screwed me posing as a friend doesn't count).
              I don't know yet how I'm going to react when a silly homeowner tries something way over his head(mentally,morally,spiritually).
              Ahh,I got my friends that can help me stay cooled down.

Comment

Add to the list -
                Tonight, call for an "emergency" leak under a sink from a regular customer.

Talked to the guy twice before I stopped short on the job I was on to get there so the leak doesn't get to the ceiling of the condo below..the guy was panicking.

Fighting in dead traffic in downtown Boston, the guy calls about 40 minutes into my drive to tell me he forgot he'd promised to take his girlfriend out to dinner and he needed to call me tomorrow to reschedule.

I told him to look in the yellow pages.

Comment

Add to the list -
                  Tonight, call for an "emergency" leak under a sink from a regular customer.

Talked to the guy twice before I stopped short on the job I was on to get there so the leak doesn't get to the ceiling of the condo below..the guy was panicking.

Fighting in dead traffic in downtown Boston, the guy calls about 40 minutes into my drive to tell me he forgot he'd promised to take his girlfriend out to dinner and he needed to call me tomorrow to reschedule.

I told him to look in the yellow pages.
                  You can learn from him. If your priorities were straight, like his, you would be home eating dinner with your wife
                  I love my plumber

"My Hero"

Welcome, Phoebe Jacqueline!

Comment

Basements without walkouts

Steps

Having everything you need to do the job and that "one" item is mysteriously missing, and back up a flight of steps you go.

People who over time keep expecting more for less the more you work for them.

Women who smoke while you're setting a toilet..

Hearing that PVC "crack" a few seconds after you've tightened the bolts on a toilet.

People who have the heat cranked up and you're sweating profusely just standing there in their home talking to them.

People that have to listen to you with their "good ear" and you have to say everything twice, but they hear the price right off the bat.

Females that leave their female hygiene necessities all over the bathroom, the bedroom, the downstairs hallway, you name it.

Scratches, cuts on the hands or arms knowing the heal time involved, and how long you have to protect them from germs.

I've got more, just be patient.
                    Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

Originally posted by MrsSeatDown View Post
                      You can learn from him. If your priorities were straight, like his, you would be home eating dinner with your wife
                      My wife knew there would be sacrifices, we discussed it before I even started.
                      She hated 12 or 14 hour days when I first started, but after seeing me without work for days straight, she's more happy to see me busy when the work is there.
                      Both her and I are perfectly fine with our priorities, thank you.

Comment

starvation is good motivation for your occupation.

Vince

just think, we take perfectly food, and turn it into sh!t

Comment

My wife knew there would be sacrifices, we discussed it before I even started.
                          She hated 12 or 14 hour days when I first started, but after seeing me without work for days straight, she's more happy to see me busy when the work is there.
                          Both her and I are perfectly fine with our priorities, thank you.
                          I was just teasing Rick use to drop everything to run to someone on a Friday who was desperately begging. Always turned out they knew about the problem for days and now they were having company so it was an emergency.
                          I love my plumber

"My Hero"

Welcome, Phoebe Jacqueline!

Comment

Originally posted by MrsSeatDown View Post
                            I was just teasing Rick use to drop everything to run to someone on a Friday who was desperately begging. Always turned out they knew about the problem for days and now they were having company so it was an emergency.
                            Those are the worst! I go to a Saturday night call. "IT'S AN EMERGENCY!!!" I get there and they tell me, "yeah, its been leaking all week."
                            Water Heater Reviews & Water Heater Information

Comment

Originally posted by Vince the Plumber View Post

customers that freak when i clean my tools on their time. i went to the job with clean tools, i'm leaving with clean tools, yu tool.

Vince
                              So if you show up with clean clothes do you launder them before you leave?
                              "Man will do many things to get himself loved, he will do all things to get himself envied." Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by SlimTim View Post
                                So if you show up with clean clothes do you launder them before you leave?
                                Another great reason to go flatrate. I never get complaints about cleaning my tools, since I don't charge by the hour.
                                Water Heater Reviews & Water Heater Information

Comment

Working...
                                X