X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What do you hate about your job?

Thinking back when you first entered your trade up to now, what do you dislike about your job? Are you happier now then when you first started?
    Buy cheap, buy twice.

Re: What do you hate about your job?

1) The trend towards cheaper parts found in plumbing supply houses.
    2) When Customers insist on installing cheap fixtures on either their homes or rental units and expect me to stand by them. Case in point, when a Customer insists on me installing Glacier Bay faucets then I tell them immediately that I will not serice them and please only call me to replace them.

With that said, this isn't my first career. I started plumbing/drain cleaning after a long time in corporate america. To this day, I count and recount my blessings that I found this trade. I'm able to use all my people, communication and analytical skills that I honed in corp life and combine them with my passion to get hands on dirty. In corp life, at-a-boys come very infrequently and the instant satisfaction of completing a task and actually being thanked for a job well done still blows me away. If you've never experienced corp life then you are prob taking this great trade for granted.

Comment

Originally posted by gear junkie View Post
      Thinking back when you first entered your trade up to now, what do you dislike about your job? Are you happier now then when you first started?
      I can't recall ever being disenchanted with the trade and it seems to get better every day.

Mark
      "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

I didn't like it much when I started, it seemed dirty and the pay wasn't spectacular either.
        But once I learned all (*still learning) the complexities and beautiful physics of the plumbing trade, I absolutely LOVE plumbing, and I enjoy my job every day.

The one thing I don't like is customer's who try to take advantage of me. But over the years, I have learned how to deal with them.
        Water Heater Reviews & Water Heater Information

Comment

I hate it when I get Crap splashed on my face
          http://www.all-clear-sewer.com/

Comment

I am much happier now then when I got into the trade. The first couple years in service were brutal and humbling.

Their are some things I don't like, but not to the point of hate with the exception of stepping in dog poop. Dealing with people that lie, probably top the short list.

People are very different and some have no respect or manners.
            Anyone can tear a man down, few can build one up.

Comment

Having to tell my wife there is another bullet hole in my truck and yes, I'm going back to that same neighborhood tommorrow

All the 'people' issues that Tyman mentioned

The lack of legal parking spaces

The numerous spider webs I walk into everyday

The cocky nature of pedestrians that cross against the red light expecting me to stop. Sometimes, I just don't feel like stopping....

Of course we are happier now than when we first started. Worked a lot harder making $6 per hour than my current pay. Using my head muscles now and not my back muscles
              Last edited by plumberscrack; 11-10-2008, 08:48 PM.

Comment

Paperwork side of the business. When I'm here, I should be doing paperwork.

That and the physical pain I'm enduring to get to my destination.

But, depending on what time you ask that question will determine how good I feel thanks to great medicines.

This calls for another dose!
                Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

Originally posted by ToUtahNow View Post
                  I can't recall ever being disenchanted with the trade and it seems to get better every day.

Mark
                  i have to agree with you Mark
                  i say the day i hate my job is the time to start looking to do something different
                  Charlie

My seek the peek fundraiser page
                  http://observatory.mountwashington.o...nal&fr_id=1040

http://www.mountwashington.org/weather/conditions.php

new work pictures 12/09
                  http://public.fotki.com/hvachawk/

Comment

it was a paycheck when i first started i was always looking for something better to come along it never did. now i love being a plumber and a business owner i couldnt imagine doing anything else.
                    Mike
                    Clark County Plumbing And Drain
                    www.plumbinginclarkcounty.com

Comment

I love and hate being my own boss... It is my success or my failure.

I hate water heaters because I'm a one man operation and they are going to hurt me if I don't watch how I handle them

This week is my unofficial 1 year mark for my business I'm still here and still learning...

I hate the pain in my right knee when it rains or is humid ( I always thought people made that up until it started happening to me)

I have paid the bills and even managed to put some away ( SR-20 and seesnake funds).

Just this last week I met my first looked me in the eyes and lied to me customer ( stiffed me on the bill). I would rather they just say Bill I can't afford it right now can I go on the dollar a week payment plan...lol but it is a lesson that I have learned and I'm guessing one that we all have to get at some point...

I love Hacktown!!! Speaking of that I have some pics that should be good for a laugh... ( give me a sec to get them posted)

Okie

Comment

It's been 47 great Years so far. I love working with My hands, always have. I get to work with My Son . I love the variety of carpentry, Elec. Plumbing,welding Fab., Running My dump or backhoe. It's not what I do ,It's what I am !
                        I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Originally posted by HVAC HAWK View Post
                          i have to agree with you Mark
                          i say the day i hate my job is the time to start looking to do something different
                          What are you doing to me Charlie! You're not supposed to be telling me stuff like that.
                          Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

I like being a plumber, doing the job well and looking back at the end of the day and admiring my work.

I hate customers that want things done for nothing, expect you to use cheap parts, expect that all jobs only take ten minutes to do and complain about how much tradesman make.

Simon

Comment

customers that tell me how to do the job. um, excuse me, you called me. i pack up my tools and charge them for my time. instant attitude change.

being watched while i work. i stop working and wait for them to leave or at least stop staring.

customers that deliberately leave money lying around just to see if you'll steal it. maybe i should add some money.

snob customers. one timers

customers that freak when i clean my tools on their time. i went to the job with clean tools, i'm leaving with clean tools, yu tool.

Vince

all that being said, the rewards of my profession far outweigh the the few hardliners i come across every now and again

Comment

Working...
                              X