Brass or PVC P-traps?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brass or PVC P-traps?

Just wondering everyone's opinion. Have had this discussion with several employers but they always are coming from a cost perspective not a quality stand point. Pro's and cons for both. Keep in mind I'm not talking about the chintzy brass traps you can bend with your hands. Thanks for the input!

Re: Brass or PVC P-traps?

For exposed traps, I prefer 17g chrome plated brass. For anything else, I like pvc tubular fittings.
    Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

On commercial there's no choice, NO pvc..it doesn't hold up under the high temps of commercial hot water.

On residence, sched 40 pvc is the best choice in my opinion...they don't corrode, not subjective to galvanic action.

As Ben (GJ) mentioned, chrome plated brass (Washington trap) for pedastils or other exposed traps.

Comment

Washington trap? Out here we have something called the L.A. pattern trap, it's made of brass (not really) I have always heard it referred to as a tin trap. It's not approved for bathtub installs but there is always some goofball that does it and by the time it fails, the homeowner can't remember who installed it. When you clear a tub stoppage in two seconds without hitting anything or removing anything then it's time to take a peek under the house. As far as traps are concerned, the reason most of us repair guys carry so many different styles of traps on our trucks is mostly due to the replacement application. It's easier to snap the"right fit" into place and be on our way. I'm often disappointed to see so many in our trade that don't install chrome in exposed locations and rough in pedestal and wall hung sinks with abs traps. I have never like the tube trap but there is a place for everything.

Comment

is there any truth to the odor absorbing properties of a pvc trap?

Comment

I always use PVC or ABS traps whenever I can. Commercial, then heavy gauge brass. But the PVC will far outlast the brass in most areas. I remember many years ago replacing a trap at the north border of Idaho for the Border Patrol - it was brass and hadn't made even one year.

The only issue with PVC is people who pour hot grease down the line (as in a kitchen) or do canning and pour boiling water straight from the pan. But then, it doesn't matter which you use, the rubber washers in brass tubular will melt, too.

As to odor - never been a problem. If there were, I'd try some Bio-Clean.

Comment

In my experience plastic is just plain better in every way. Slight preference for pvc over abs, not even sure why. Never seen the problems with temp described earlier. Use chromed brass when someone demands it, hate doing it as I value function over appearance.
              This is my reminder to myself that no good will ever come from discussing politics or religion with anyone, ever.

Comment

PVC traps last longer. The brass will eat right through on a kitchen sink.
                And when ever I take a plastic trap off, I throw a brand new one on.
                Don't bother cleaning them, they look nicer too.
                Obama the Plumber

Comment

I vote for Brass, If everyone keeps using nothing but plastic , my kids will never met the mongo man when they get older

Comment

Plastic trap. No if and or buts about it.

Comment

Working...
                    X