Just starting out. any advice?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Just starting out. any advice?

I have already contacted the contractor board and ratted myself out. They say as long as I keep it under $500 and put not state licensed contractor on all ads. I had one guy call me up and ask for a bid on gas sewer and water on a remodel told him I look give him my thoughts and suggestions for free but could do the work and recommended some other contractors and warned against others. This dude (total stranger only talked one phone never a face to face) like my honesty policy so much he called the board who said I would have to be hired by someone who was licensed for me to do the work. He then told his GC to hire me and he would pay my cost plus work comp etc. The GC said no so he hired another GC that would. WOW! Does this stuff happen in real life or am I dreaming?

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
      you can be the best plumber in town. problem is nobody knows you yet.

you need to establish yourself, mark your territory. it would be the same for me if i was to move from my community.

i would suggest you get back in with a service co, and in the mean time get your license. you need income and you need to establish yourself in your community. hard to do when you're workig for a local service co.

i was lucky as the company i worked for did just large scale new construction. therefore there was not a conflict with me doing service on the side. can you work for a general contractor on the side?

can you hook up with a 1 man shop and shae some work?

not an easy position to be in

rick.
      Rick,
      How do you go about marking your territory? Fire hydrants?

Comment

Originally posted by nomoreleak View Post
        I have already contacted the contractor board and ratted myself out. They say as long as I keep it under $500 and put not state licensed contractor on all ads.
        They better not do that in my state!!!! Your state just dropped the ball for every guy that "almost" has his license to open a business. I would be furious if this occurred. Its just wrong....

Comment

You have only 3.5 years experience and no license. My advice is to get some more training on the job and get your license!
          You need some more experience under your belt before you start out on your own. You still need time to learn from a good master plumber. You'll likely develop really bad habits if you go out on your own this early.

Trust me, you'll be better off in the long run. I started plumbing at age 19. I didn't get my license and go out on my own until I was 29. 10 years experience working under master plumbers, I passed the licensing exam first try. I am glad I waited, running a plumbing business is no picnic!
          Water Heater Reviews & Water Heater Information

Comment

This is turning into a joe the plumber thread real quick.
            Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

Originally posted by NHMaster3015 View Post
              Here's the best advice I can give. Keep a tight hold on your wallet and don't do anything stupid. Drinking helps you through the tough times.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Seat UP View Post
                Rick,
                How do you go about marking your territory? Fire hydrants?
                Well,Well,Well.
                I wonder who this could be talking all this big ****.

Comment

Working...
                X