gravity to fhw conversion

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• gravity to fhw conversion

hi guys, Im possibly going to convert an ancient gravity system on a big ole house in salem ma to fhw. for a customer. My house was once gravity too but has since been converted to fhw. my system seems to work well. the attic tank is gone, and a steel tank was added in the basement, the piping around the boiler was reduced for the pump as well. the pump is also on the return. Those old gravity systems sure were an art. and I'm sure there's an art to a proper conversion too. my customer has an old upfeed system where the rad pipes feed in the bottom. I really want to do this right and any help would be much appreciated. thanks

Re: gravity to fhw conversion

a couple of questions.....

what's the reason for the conversion?

are you installing a new boiler or just adding a pump to the old one?

are you removing/replacing any oversized heat mains?

Is it currently an open system?

what type of radiation do they currently have?

is it single supply/return or 2 pipe supply/return

are the radiator valves operational?

Comment

it is an old open system with an expansion tank that is ready to go. I believe it has one supply and one return. the valves may or may not work, i havent checked yet. If I dont get rid of the attic set up soon im sure there will be problems. plus closing the system may retard corrosion in the pipes by eliminating most of the oxygen.

Comment

It would be nice to repair the existing system. These systems work well mostly because of the art required. Fix leaks, repair expansion tank, upgrade boiler, update valves( air bleeds, drains, flow controls).

Comment

Tear all that old crap out and start over. It will probably cost about the same when you figure in all the hours messing with rotted piping and running return lines and all the call backs trying to balance the thing.
          sigpic

Comment

NHMaster is right
            I fell into a poorly converted gravity system in Cohassett(old customers bought a "cottage" on the beach) and never got it to work right till we changed it to baseboard and fan assisted convectors
            Mike

Comment

Working...
            X