X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stainless Steel Supply Lines

Have any of you had leaks from a faucet or water closet connector after you take it off the faucet or toilet and reconnect it? Does it happen often? By the way, I'm talking about the braided flex lines.

I've been noticing that there is water just sitting in the swivel part on quite a few of them, but it could be from water that was in the line when I disconnect/reconnected it. I wiped it clean and sat there for like 5 minutes and watched water slowly appear. I just got fed up and just replaced it.

Any brands that you guys like/dislike?
    YourHomeContractor.com - The Trusted Online Community For Homeowners and Contractors.

Plumbing Reviews

Re: Stainless Steel Supply Lines

Originally posted by HouseOfAtlas View Post
    Have any of you had leaks from a faucet or water closet connector after you take it off the faucet or toilet and reconnect it? Does it happen often? By the way, I'm talking about the braided flex lines.

I've been noticing that there is water just sitting in the swivel part on quite a few of them, but it could be from water that was in the line when I disconnect/reconnected it. I wiped it clean and sat there for like 5 minutes and watched water slowly appear. I just got fed up and just replaced it.

Any brands that you guys like/dislike?
    house,

wipe it dry with toilet paper then use youfinger to check for leaks.

sh!t happens.

Vince

Comment

It sounds to me like you are over-tightening them and splitting the rubber seal. They are not brass ferrules, you don't have to crank down on them!
      Water Heater Reviews & Water Heater Information

Comment

When I take them apart, someone else has already installed it from years ago

I don't install them that tight really. When I install a water closet connector, I will turn the connector on the fill valve by hand and then give it another 1/4" - 1/2" turn with a wrench.
        YourHomeContractor.com - The Trusted Online Community For Homeowners and Contractors.

Plumbing Reviews

Comment

I never re-use them. Put a new one in...after all, it did not leak before you touched it. $2.17 Hodes Co.

Comment

When I take them apart, someone else has already installed it from years ago
            You are taking apart an OLD supply and then NOT REPLACING IT, BUT RE-USING IT!!! Sorry but I call that hack work.

Comment

Originally posted by NorthernIllinoisPlumber View Post
              I never re-use them. Put a new one in...after all, it did not leak before you touched it.
              Exactly. I use stainless steel supplies with Brass nuts on both ends.
              Kind of like these:

Comment

I always replace them with same style as service guy(I dont buy vinyl). Not replacing them is just like selling used parts.

Comment

I like the Fluidmasters because they aren't likely to twist and kink the inner tube. Real SS braids. The ones with no SS at all are trash - they'll swell over a few years until they split.

Comment

i've stopped 5 years ago using braided stainless steel 3/4'' water heater flex connectors.

first there was an issue with the polymer liner that was turning to goop. then years later we are finding that the crimp connector is failing and bursting.

went back to copper flexes.

i've tried a few stainless corrugated flexes and i like the flexibility of them.

unfortunately i still have a few cases of copper flexes.

with the stainless braided flexes i primarily use the 1/2'' slip joint by 1/2'' slip or w.c. 3/8'' compression is not as common and 1/2'' compression is rare along with 7/16'' typically on a 3 way kitchen a/s.

i actually liked the fluidmaster all in 1 connectors as they had the adapters for all sizes. hard to find now.

i stock 12'', 16'', 20'', 24'', connectors in lavs and 9'', 12'' and 16'' in w.c. also washing machine, dishwasher and ice makers supplies.

imagine the inventory when you need all the different size compression sizes. that's why the fluidmaster is a good choice.

rick.
                    phoebe it is

Comment

Vinyl is a no-no in my book.

Anything with plastic barbs is a serious no-no.

I use fluidmaster supplies as well but I do not like the fact that they are widening the webbing of the stainless braid lately. That is where I feel Watts has an advantage in what it provides in durability.

Lowe's is the only place that sells Watts braided stainless supply lines and I can't get good margins buying from them.

All supply lines no matter what size off my truck? $6 a piece, always. Even a 30" faucet supply or 20" toilet supply. Extensions are a must have on the truck as well in 12's and 20's.
                      Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

Originally posted by Service Guy View Post
                        You are taking apart an OLD supply and then NOT REPLACING IT, BUT RE-USING IT!!! Sorry but I call that hack work.
                        I guess I never thought of it like that. Just like when I clean out a drain, if I take apart an old trap but it's still working (not leaking), why replace it?

But if a supply looks old with rust, I do replace it and from now on I'll replace the old ones, even if they are only a couple years old.

Plumbing Reviews

Comment

on any custom work we do, we use the fluidmaster braided lines, the spec homes just get 3/8 pex supplies.

On water heaters I still can't make myself use the copper flex lines. For me nothing beats hard copper all the way to the tank. And when I worked in North Carolina our inspectors wouldn't pass them, they claimed it was a burst hazard.
                          No, it's not rocket science, it's plumbing and unlike rocket science it requires a license.

Comment

I guess I never thought of it like that. Just like when I clean out a drain, if I take apart an old trap but it's still working (not leaking), why replace it?

But if a supply looks old with rust, I do replace it and from now on I'll replace the old ones, even if they are only a couple years old.
                            Yeah, your just better off replacing them...in this job: you touch it, you own it! This policy will minimize callbacks!

Comment

Originally posted by MoJourneyman View Post
                              on any custom work we do, we use the fluidmaster braided lines, the spec homes just get 3/8 pex supplies.

On water heaters I still can't make myself use the copper flex lines. For me nothing beats hard copper all the way to the tank. And when I worked in North Carolina our inspectors wouldn't pass them, they claimed it was a burst hazard.
                              I do hard copper on every water heater also. Sometimes I'll do pex tubing on an electric water heater. I never use 'flexes' on a water heater. But Rick lives in earthquake country, so they make sense where he is. If I lived in LA, I would be using copper flexes also.

Comment

Working...
                              X