X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Closet carrier ?

I've never installed closet carriers before , is there a min. and a max. amount that the outlet can be installed at . They are going to use JR Smith horizontal carriers feeding into a tee or a cross on a vert. stack . All the manufactures tell you the min. and the max. heights that the closet can be set at but they don't give any dim. on the height of the carrier outlet . It's a slab building and I'd like to get the stack at the right height on the underground . Most of the bathrooms have 3 - 4 closets in battery .
    Steve in the trade since 73 doing new residential/Commercial work

Re: Closet carrier ?

Isn't the outlet height dictated by the type of fixture, finished flooring, & ADA code?

J.C.

Comment

The inlet to the carrier is dictated by what you say but there has to be some rule of thumb you can use if say you have 3 stalls 36" wide and your stack is 30" away from the first closet , you can figure your height of the last closet in the battery and allow for pitch to the first carrier , but at what height would you need to leave a tee in the stack . You can look at the fixture cut sheets at JR Smith web site and they give you all sorts of dim. but nothing on a height for a fitting to pick up the carrier battery . I don't want to have to cut into the slab to put in a 4" tee if I have to be 3" above the floor to pick up the carriers

Comment

I understand your trepidation. When attempting something for the first time, one should do one's homework. In you case, J.R. Smith (as well as Zurn, Josam and Wade) has the information you've requested from us on their website. I'm attaching some drawings I took from their site showing a top view of both a single and a double carrier as well as the all important front view. The "D" dimension in the front view gives you the minimum and maximum play on the carrier face plate. Another consideration is the height requirement of the particular wc in battery in question. For example, if you have three at standard height (14"-15") and one at ADA height, placing the riser so that the ADA wc is farthest from it , you can buy yourself a couple of inches extra fall. As mentioned by JC, how the fixture lays out to the carrier and floor finish heights also have to be taken into consideration.
        A friend of mine who did quite a lot of these used to prefab his batteries on welded strut, transport them to the job site, drop them on the deck with a boom, roll them across the floor with a custom made creeper, set them in place, bolt them down, make one hookup to waste, water and vent and call it a day.

Comment

Originally posted by leakfree View Post
          The inlet to the carrier is dictated by what you say but there has to be some rule of thumb you can use if say you have 3 stalls 36" wide and your stack is 30" away from the first closet , you can figure your height of the last closet in the battery and allow for pitch to the first carrier , but at what height would you need to leave a tee in the stack . You can look at the fixture cut sheets at JR Smith web site and they give you all sorts of dim. but nothing on a height for a fitting to pick up the carrier battery . I don't want to have to cut into the slab to put in a 4" tee if I have to be 3" above the floor to pick up the carriers
          I think I understand you. I'm not as experienced at commercial as some either but what I've done is always worked off the spec. book/code/ADA code for the required heights & widths. Then work from the farthest fixture to the end connection. If that puts the connection in the slab you have to allow for it. Here we are required to sleeve or protect ALL pipes through the slab. So lets say you screw up you still have room around the stack to remove the sleeve or protection and use an inside pipe cutter to get a Tee almost to the floor level.

I know. No help.

J.C.

Comment

Me thinks that I may have been a little stupid , because now that I really look at the cut sheet I can do some math and come up with a min. height for the stack fitting based on the min. / max . height of the inlet and the overall height of the carrier and work my way back to a number at the barrel that I know is 4"

Thanks I just didn't see it before when I looked

Comment

[quote=leakfree;188130]Me thinks that I may have been a little stupid , because now that I really look at the cut sheet I can do some math and come up with a min. height for the stack fitting based on the min. / max . height of the inlet and the overall height of the carrier and work my way back to a number at the barrel that I know is 4"

Thanks I just didn't see it before when I looked[/quote

No plumber is stupid. Proven by you figuring it out. Just be careful with ADA height requirements including finished floor and your local inspections.

I've seen guys here fail over 3/8". Ever had to tear a carrier out of a wall?

Good luck. You'll get it I'm sure.

J.C.

Comment

Starting off with a vertical carrier w/a side inlet is one way to avoid running out of fall. Of course that may mean setting the vertical fitting (less hardware) into the pour which can be a pita, not only because it has to be dead on center when installed, but also after the pour.

Comment

Plumbus

I just didn't see how I could come up with a height the first time that I looked at the cut sheet , now I do . It will work out fine using horizontal carriers , plenty of horizontal space . I've been doing mostly res. work for the last 20 or so years . The last shop that I was with just decided to close up and I managed to get hired on with a comm. shop ( probably been 20 years since I set a carrier ) . Work is tough to find if your looking for res. in the midwest and I want to make sure this job comes out of the ground right . It's not a small job , it has over 800' of 4" type L suspended for the cold water alone add in the hot , tempered , return ,W + V lines and there is alot of piping , lots of work that's good for me. Service work does'nt seem to be my cup of tea I'd like to stay in new const. ( 6 years til retirement )
                  Last edited by leakfree; 11-16-2008, 11:07 PM.

Comment

Working...
                  X