X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Protecting PEX

I noticed some time back that many of the supply houses carry short sleeves designed to protect pex stub outs from getting paint on them, the manufacturer of those sleeves of course stating that paint would damage the integrity of the pex.
    I work for several builders who use the sprayed in foam insulation throughout the ceiling, floor, and exterior walls. Is this something I should be concerned about? The pex ends up completely encased in foam, which, while it protects the pipes from the potential of freezing, doesn't seem very good for the longevity of the piping.
    Any thoughts?
    No, it's not rocket science, it's plumbing and unlike rocket science it requires a license.

Re: Protecting PEX

I have not heard anything but I would get with the insulators get some info on the foam,if it's the stuff i have seen I'm betting it is harmless just messy....Then get with the MFG and ask what is up...Then tell us.

Comment

My uneducated guess is the foam contains no solvents (you wouldn't want it outgassing into the house for the next several years) so that would probably make it ok with Pex. The paint issues probably have to do with Oil base paints which contain solvents, which can damage certain plastics. Not to mention, the paint on the pex will probably "alligator" when the tube is moved and connected, and would really look crappy.

Comment

I'm actually waiting for both uponor and gaco http://www.gacowallfoam.com/ to get back to me on this, I'll let you know when I hear something.
        I was under the impression that the foam was a polyurethane base, between that and the respirator the installers wear it got me wondering about any possible reaction. Especially in some of the absolutely Huge houses we build were all of the lines in the crawl space are completely encased in foam.
        No, it's not rocket science, it's plumbing and unlike rocket science it requires a license.

Comment

When it comes to spray foams, we need to refer you back to the spray foam manufacturer. Inquire if the product has been tested and approved for use with PEX tubing. Also, spray foams must not come into contact with our EP (Engineered Plastic) fittings. The fitting must be wrapped with 4-6 mil poly and zip tied shut. If you have any other questions, please let me know. Thanks!

Daniel Worm
          Designer - Plumbing
          Technical Services

was the reply from Uponor, still waiting to hear back from the foam manufacturer.

Comment

Working...
          X