Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pipe Location Problem. Sewer Line Replacement.

I am replacing a sewer line in Lansing, MI and I called MIS DIG and had them mark all the utilities. There was no paint or flags in the area we needed to dig. About tens minutes into digging we grazed the top of a water line. I stopped digging at 9:05am and called the city right a way. They sent the inspector out and he said the line looked fine but I should have the line relocated he called the water company and they said they would send a guy right out because it was an emergency. About two hrs later he showed up with his partner. They looked in the hole and came to the conclusion that sure enough that’s a water line and they don't mark water lines they need to call our supervisor he does that. About 5min later he arrived said that it is MIS DIGs problem but he thinks the line needs to be repaired because there was to small dents about 1/4 round 1/16 or less deep. It will be a quick fix while we wait for MIS DIG to remark. About 3hrs later they changed 3' of 3/4 copper line and it took three guys. MIS DIG came rolling in 3hrs late for an emergency locating and remarked it. Then the supervisor from the water company asks for my info because he needs to know wear to send the bill. It is now a little after 2:00pm and the whole day was wasted because of MIG DIG bad locating job. Does anyone now if there is any way to go after MIS DIG for wasting my time, and money? Thanks for any advise. Sorry it’s long.

Re: Pipe Location Problem. Sewer Line Replacement.

you should not be responsible for the repair. but they will not pay you for wasting the day either.
    welcome to the real world of city b.s.

welcome to the ridgid forum.

p.s we already have a service guy on this forum. you might want a different name so as not to confuse us

rick.
    phoebe it is

Comment

Opps! I called him Carl in another thread. My bad
      YourHomeContractor.com - The Trusted Online Community For Homeowners and Contractors.

Plumbing Reviews

Comment

Hello friend,
        I am new to this forum..liked so thought to reply.
        I agree with plumber Rick..they will not pay you a single penny if you will waste a full day no matters how good your performance was in your earlier work.

Regards,
        Nelson
        Sewer Line Replacement

Comment

Thread resurrection.

To me, this falls under do you want to make money or not. Repair the line yourself and keep trucking.

J.C.

Comment

I had a job like this. Our locating service is JULIE what they do is they give you a list of all the utilities that are a member of their system. So it is the contractor responsibility to locate any non-member utilities. But in this case where I hit a water line, the city's water department was a member.

I had my dig site marked out in white paint. I show up and all the utilities where no where near my dig area. The water service was marked a good 5 feet away. So I started to dig and as I got close to my sewer we hit the water service.I dug down till I hit my sewer and exposed the pipe so the water had a place to drain while I waited for the city to show up and turn off the water. They come along and look at what happened, and they sent one of their guys in the hole to make the repair. After they where done they asked me how I am going to pay their bill, that it was my fault for hitting the water service. I explained to them they are the ones that missed the locate by 5 feet. The allowable variance on the locate is 18" to either side of my dig site. So they dropped the idea of billing me.
            Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
            A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
            Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
            Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Comment

In British Columbia, our locate people fax or email a map to us for a 'locate'. They then tell us that this is only a map of where utilities were installed and that they have no control of depth or 'actual' location after their installation. They don't come out, or paint. If we want an actual on-site locate we have to pay a 'Locater'. BC Locate also tells us that even with a map in hand, we have to hand dig to locate and verify all utilities before using a machine. This way, when and if we hit anything, it's ALWAYS our fault, and we ALWAYS have to pay.

Mick

Comment

I generally take pics of the area after it has been located so that if there is any question about the accuracy of the locate I have proof. I cut a phone line one time that was very poorly located, well beyond the acceptable 18''.... When the phone company billed me I sent the pics back addressed to the general manager showing the piss poor locating and a short explanation of why I didn't think I needed to pay the bill. I think he may have had a short chat with the Phone Techs as since then every locate has been dead-nuts on....

Comment

Originally posted by SewerRatz View Post
                  I had a job like this. Our locating service is JULIE what they do is they give you a list of all the utilities that are a member of their system. So it is the contractor responsibility to locate any non-member utilities. But in this case where I hit a water line, the city's water department was a member.

I had my dig site marked out in white paint. I show up and all the utilities where no where near my dig area. The water service was marked a good 5 feet away. So I started to dig and as I got close to my sewer we hit the water service.I dug down till I hit my sewer and exposed the pipe so the water had a place to drain while I waited for the city to show up and turn off the water. They come along and look at what happened, and they sent one of their guys in the hole to make the repair. After they where done they asked me how I am going to pay their bill, that it was my fault for hitting the water service. I explained to them they are the ones that missed the locate by 5 feet. The allowable variance on the locate is 18" to either side of my dig site. So they dropped the idea of billing me.
                  Same here. We once had to run a line beside a road that had:

1) Gas Main
                  2) Power Main
                  3) Phone
                  4) Cable

All in the right-of-way between the road and ditch line running longways with the road. Keep in mind that the allowable variance on ALL utilities is 18"

All were in a couple of feet of one another.

What does that mean? We had to excavate where there was zero possibility of liability on the locator or utility no matter what because the variances overlapped and took over the whole area's space.

Lot of shoveling that day. Many people cursed at.

J.C.

Comment

Working...
                  X