X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Breaking a fitting/hub off of PVC

Any thoughts on how to break off a fitting that is glued onto PVC? Should I just use a hacksaw to make some cuts into the hub and then use a thin screwdriver to bust it off piece by piece?

Is there anything to use to get the cement off and reapply cement/primer to the PVC pipe?

By the way, busting up the floor, ripping open sheetrock, redoing everything, etc. isn't an option. It will turn into a cluster and I want to avoid that.

Thanks in advance
    YourHomeContractor.com - The Trusted Online Community For Homeowners and Contractors.

Plumbing Reviews

Re: Breaking a fitting/hub off of PVC

Buy the bit that can drill out the hub. I have 1-1/2 and 2" size. If that is not available, then do as you are saying and pry out with a screwdriver. Use a file to get the burrs and douse with primer.

http://www.accentshopping.com/product.asp/P_ID/152258

Comment

Too risky sometimes to cut and chip away at a fitting. I like to use a decent heat gun to soften the PVC then peel it out in one piece. It takes a while with 3" and 4" though

Comment

Originally posted by NorthernIllinoisPlumber View Post
        Buy the bit that can drill out the hub. I have 1-1/2 and 2" size. If that is not available, then do as you are saying and pry out with a screwdriver. Use a file to get the burrs and douse with primer.

http://www.accentshopping.com/product.asp/P_ID/152258
        That thing looks pretty cool!

The thing is, it is impossible to use that where I need it, but i definetely should get one of those.
        YourHomeContractor.com - The Trusted Online Community For Homeowners and Contractors.

Plumbing Reviews

Comment

House, Have you heard of the Pipe Hog by Wheeler Rex? They are the cats a**! I used to use Ram Bits but they aren't as sturdy but they are cheap! The Pipe Hog is not cheap but you'll probably never break one.

Comment

Originally posted by gusty60 View Post
            House, Have you heard of the Pipe Hog by Wheeler Rex? They are the cats a**! I used to use Ram Bits but they aren't as sturdy but they are cheap! The Pipe Hog is not cheap but you'll probably never break one.
            I'll Google it and look into it. Thanks

Plumbing Reviews

Comment

I mainly use mine when the hacks ( I mean carpenters) chop off the pvc to the hub on kitchen remodels. Sure makes things easy!

Comment

In my 20 plus years of plumbing, I've never had to gain access to a hub/fitting where it was absolute necessary to perform the task.

Kind of a job security deal where I would take the work farther to get to pipe or what not.

Not saying it is wrong.
                Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

Originally posted by gusty60 View Post
                  same set i've had for years.

the pasco are good for a 1 time repair. they tend to melt ot the pipe.

the wheeler are good for a lifetime of repairs. they actually cut the pipe out with replaceable carbide cutters.

rick.
                  phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post

the wheeler are good for a lifetime of repairs. they actually cut the pipe out with replaceable carbide cutters.

rick.
                    Agreed, I think Rick is 100% right
                    Help With Your Pool Or Spa Pump?►WeT HeaD Pump Repair ► Watch Me On YouTube: Pool & Spa Pump Repair TV
                    New: Pump Repair MagazineNew: Pool & Spa Pump Repair Forums

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post

rick.

Melt? What kind of drill do you use?

Comment

I'm sure this must be an episode of the Twilight Zone and I am the only one looking in from the outside.

The OP is asking how to remove the hub of a PVC fitting from a piece of pipe coming out of the slab and everyone is telling him how to remove a piece of PVC from the hub of a fitting. The method the OP mentioned with cutting the fitting off from the hub and then cutting slices in the hub is the way to go but he needs to be real careful.

Mark
                        "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

the pasco doesn't do a good job of cutting. it tends to cut by friction and not by sharpness. the shavings are literally melted pieces of pipe.

the wheeler actually creates chips from cutting, not melting the pipe.

rick.
                          phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by HouseOfAtlas View Post
                            That thing looks pretty cool!

The thing is, it is impossible to use that where I need it, but i definetely should get one of those.
                            Originally posted by HouseOfAtlas View Post
                            I'll Google it and look into it. Thanks
                            Originally posted by ToUtahNow View Post
                            I'm sure this must be an episode of the Twilight Zone and I am the only one looking in from the outside.

The OP is asking how to remove the hub of a PVC fitting from a piece of pipe coming out of the slab and everyone is telling him how to remove a piece of PVC from the hub of a fitting. The method the OP mentioned with cutting the fitting off from the hub and then cutting slices in the hub is the way to go but he needs to be real careful.

Mark
                            i was just going with the flow

thread drift

rick.
                            phoebe it is

Comment

When you have to remove a plastic fitting or a plastic closet ring, do as Mark suggests and cut a lot of little bite sized pieces that you can pop off with an old screw driver. I have removed over 50 this way. Make sure you wear eye and face protection as things will be flying.

Comment

Working...
                              X