X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cold water return system/pump

we are getting consistent requests for the installation of cold water return pumps. You know, the type that cheat by pumping from the hot water to cold water, either at the tank or at the last sink in the loop.

Crap, crap, crapity, crap??? Or is there a favorite brand/model that works and is profitable?
    spodelee

Until lions have their own storytellers, stories of the hunt shall always glorify the hunter

Re: cold water return system/pump

Watts?
    ANYONE CAN TAKE THE HELM WHEN THE SEA IS CALM.

Comment

I've had zero callbacks or questions with different Laing models. Also here positive things about Grundfos. By a bunch, jump in and get on with it.

J.C.

Comment

I hate em all and have installed many brands. I did like the Laing the most but there is no way I would install one of those in my house. When something goes wrong (and it will) you may end up with a cracked toilet.

Comment

Originally posted by rookie plumber View Post
          I hate em all and have installed many brands. I did like the Laing the most but there is no way I would install one of those in my house. When something goes wrong (and it will) you may end up with a cracked toilet.
          Gotta' respectfully disagree. I myself have been to correct a hotline someone ran to a toilet more than once. (No not me this time. ) Different toilets. One customer lived there about a month before they noticed. Another customers had been that way for years.

So that's full temperature swing from room temperature all the way up to the water heaters setting on multiple flushes. And yes, they both got hot in the tank. I checked.

No cracking.

J.C.

Comment

First off, that's what a check valve is for...and secondly I once saw a toilet(with flushometer) hooked up to a hot line. It was flushed a bunch of times before it was swithed over to cold and NO CRACKS. IF a toilet won't crack with 1.6 gallons of hot water DUMPING through it, then what are the chances of a tank/bowl cracking?

Comment

Good info. Looks like the Laing is not readily accessible in my neck of the woods, but the Grunfos is at about $196. Couple hours to install on average (assuming a power recept is available in the water heater closet)?
              Last edited by spodelee; 11-28-2008, 12:15 AM.
              spodelee

Until lions have their own storytellers, stories of the hunt shall always glorify the hunter

Comment

But, do they do what is claimed,that is: act as a return line and circulate the hot water. Are they worth the expense for the customer? Are they reliable enough to be profitable to the plumber??

Comment

Working...
                X