Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Moral Obligations?

Originally posted by toolaholic View Post
    I would return to do the second phase. This time I would be set up to record the abuse.
    One copy to child services,one to the police,one to the school. I would not send a bill.
    Wrong, another idea. Not giving it to the Mother , I'd play it for Her. Then threaten to give it to these agency's , unless She gets counseling , She validates with You

Secretly recording someone's conversations in their home sounds like a lawsuit
    waiting to happen.
    "Man will do many things to get himself loved, he will do all things to get himself envied." Mark Twain

Comment

I won't interfere with the passing of the mantle

Comment

IMO - there is not a whole lot that could be done. Child protective services would probably open an investigation, but the results may be astounding to you. My wife is a third grade teacher and was formerly at a school in the lower income area of town. Not that that should make a difference, but it seems as though it does. We have seen and heard of some pretty horrible things, but in most cases nothing is done. I guess the gov thinks they are better off in an abusive household than in "the system" bouncing from foster home to group home etc. You did however choose your profession and unfortunately our professions require that we overlook and not judge people based on thier moral choices. If i were in that position i think that i would have called mom to the side and simply said "i can see that this is not a very good time and i have what could be a potentially dangerous job to do and need to concentrate on it" which we do. I don't know what the job does, but you might need to listen for leaks or sewer machine motor binding, etc. your machine binds and you are full steam ahead on that feeder then you and or the property could be damaged. "If you would like my call out fee is XXX dollars, you can pay me for the trip out and i can return at a more convenient time. Or i will do the best i can to expedite this job, but it will require a quieter environment." This may actually be good for the child as it may give mom some time to compose herself.

Comment

Originally posted by SlimTim View Post
          Secretly recording someone's conversations in their home sounds like a lawsuit
          waiting to happen.
          I agree, you probably wouldn't want to do that, Might be against the law in many states

Comment

It is against the law. I would take the heat to help a child. I don't run with the heard.Iam My fathers Son.
            I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Originally posted by toolaholic View Post
              It is against the law. I would take the heat to help a child. I don't run with the heard.Iam My fathers Son.
              A good son Who reflects his father well.

Comment

As a plumber you don't have an obligation. As a human being, you have to decide your obligation. No easy answers or choices, my friend. But it is better to choose the hard right, than the easy wrong. On your deathbed, you won't remember how much business you did, you will probably remember whether you tried to help that young girl.

Comment

If you are not part of the solution....

you are part of the problem. And I agree with Bogart here:

Originally posted by Bogart View Post
                  As a plumber you don't have an obligation. As a human being, you have to decide your obligation. No easy answers or choices, my friend. But it is better to choose the hard right, than the easy wrong. On your deathbed, you won't remember how much business you did, you will probably remember whether you tried to help that young girl.
                  As a father of grown kids, I've seen what extreme dysfunctional families do to children. Yes, all of us are prob dysfunctional in some aspect of life, but the extreme stuff creates criminals, addicts, basically lost souls. IMO, It's better to do something (within reason) and loose, than to lay in bed wishing you could have done something.

Comment

Re: If you are not part of the solution....

Originally posted by JeffH View Post
                    you are part of the problem. And I agree with Bogart here:

As a father of grown kids, I've seen what extreme dysfunctional families do to children. Yes, all of us are prob dysfunctional in some aspect of life, but the extreme stuff creates criminals, addicts, basically lost souls. IMO, It's better to do something (within reason) and loose, than to lay in bed wishing you could have done something.

I always wait a few days before I call the health department on some folks. Thank goodness, I don't have to do that much anymore since I hand pick my calls.

You know bad things happen for sure when they are arguing like you don't even exist while you're there....and you leave knowing it gets worse.
                    Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

Working...
                    X