X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Moral Obligations?

I went ahead and took a call on Thanksgiving for a customer who I have worked for before... Today the washer B/U caused some wall / floor damage..

Here is my issue... I walk to the front door and it sounds like World War three inside " You worthless piece of $hit" "You *ucking 1dot" "I don't know why I ever had you".

I go ahead and ring the doorbell thinking whatever is going on will now stop now that I'm here to fix the problem...

I step into the house and the mother is there with the teenage daughter it is only them...I was shocked to hear a parent talk to a kid like that but I was there so it would stop so I thought...

Mom proceeds to rip on child for the next 20 minutes while I work... I'm
    not kidding when I say I heard some of the crulest statements a parent could ever say to a child!

WTF is wrong with people and what are we as plumbers in the public service obligated to do about it?

Would you work in that kind of environment?

Okie

Re: Moral Obligations?

Report the situation to the local authoriites. Maybe a child abuse center or something like that.
    Water Heater Reviews & Water Heater Information

Comment

Out here emotional abuse in and of itself is not reportable. I see this stuff everyday in what I do. As a plumber/service guy coming in I can see how it would be uncomfortable and awkward to say something. I always say something, but I am not a plumber.

I bet it would had been worse if you were not there. Believe it or not I bet the mom was holding back because you were there.
      I love my plumber

"My Hero"

Welcome, Phoebe Jacqueline!

Comment

I know mom was holding back while I was there....

I could hear it from the truck in the driveway as I was leaving.

If I take the work that still has to be done (washer line replacement) I will put myself around it even more... I hate to turn away work but in this situation I may have to say something and lose the job...

In all other respects this customer has been good to me and even refered me a couple of good jobs...

I guess there are no easy answers

Okie

Comment

I grew up in that house.And I can tell you.The one time Someone interviened was the first time that I actually started to think that maybe I was not a worthless piece of SH!T.

Now that I know It was the Heads of household who did the irreparable damage I am now looking for the opportunity to rip a bullies head off.Gets me in deep doo-doo every time but I can't help it.

Comment

Why wouldn't one help a human in need if they could?

J.C.

Comment

Drtyhands: I'm sorry to hear you had to put up with that treatment ( I was the opposite, I was treated like I was an invisible "Latchkey kid" in SoCal)

JC: I guess I'm wondering if it would really be of any help or would I make things worse for the kid / kids

Not the best topic for Turkey Day... My appologies

Okie

Comment

No apologies necessary.

Every person has their own moral compass. And noone knows what they really will do until confronted with the situation.

I would like to think I would try to help those that can't help themselves.

J.C.

Good to know you keep Hacktown running even on the holidays.

Comment

Originally posted by OkieBill View Post
                  Drtyhands: I'm sorry to hear you had to put up with that treatment ( I was the opposite, I was treated like I was an invisible "Latchkey kid" in SoCal)

JC: I guess I'm wondering if it would really be of any help or would I make things worse for the kid / kids

Not the best topic for Turkey Day... My appologies

Okie
                  Bill,
                  Not to worry,for some this is the perfect topic.
                  You,my friend,remind me of all the kindness and caring that is on the otherside of those long ago closed doors.

Comment

I would haved worked just like you,

Crap, I have been at houses while they ( tenants )smoked crack in the driveway, ( slumlord job)

Also , who knows what that 16 girl just did...she could have just punched grandma in the face 2 minutes before you walked in the door,

OR

She could have got pregnant and 16 just told MOM she was pregnant , ....then Mom get all excited and then she says to mom BUT wait..... " I had an abortion Mom, cause you would make a horrible grandma"

I mean who knows what was said .......so there is always more to the story , I mean we have all heard political sound bites right

Sure its not right for anyone to yell at anyone, but such is life,

Guess your job could have been harder if you were doctor Phil, Then you would have had to deal withe the people and not the plumbing

Personally I would rather just deal with the pipes

Comment

Skool, I worked in a semi state of shock believing that it would get better... please don't confuse my lack of action with acceptance of the bad behavior.

I think part of my issue now is the anger I have with myself for not doing or saying anything...

I don't care what the kid had done! an adult and a parent no less, has no business talking to a child in that manner...

NO such thing as the child deserved it mentality in my book..

Based on past conversations with the customer I know the household is pretty messed up IMO.

I have seen enough of the world to know that many folks would have considered themselves luck to just be yelled at and called names by there parents.

I may have a few demons I'm working through with this as well

Comment

Originally posted by OkieBill View Post
                        I think part of my issue now is the anger I have with myself for not doing or saying anything...
                        Ahhh. don't beat yourself up, You fixed the plumbing, You did your job for them, If your really that horrified over it , pick up the phone now and call cps , they will have a child unit out investigating tomorrow AM.

That's the only thing to really do anyway, Confronting the Mother about her parenting skills would really not have been your place...and that could have got messy for sure, BUT contacting the proper authorities would be and you still have time as it just happened hours ago, just explain to child protective services that you were not sure what you were going to do, its better to call late then never,

That is what you could do ....

Comment

I would have done the job, get paid, and then let the lady have it! Who cares if she never calls again...why work for a loser lady?

Comment

Stuff like this really makes me sad. People dont realize how much that emotional abuse can impact someone for the rest of their life. Girl will probably grow up to abuse her kids as well.

Okie, I dont know if I would have done anything differently than you did. Its such a tough call intervening but I agree with Adam.. there are times when it really could make a difference.

Poor kid.

Josh

Comment

What the lady did was horrible but there may be things going on in their World that we can't imagine. Either way I would had said something just because that is who I am. Perhaps at that time she may offer an explanation to which you could help defuse the issue. New customers are easy to come by, the self esteem of a young person is not.

Mark
                              "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Working...
                              X