X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Delta PEX parts

Installed one of these last week. I think Dunbar pointed it out first about an all plastic Delta faucet. This is a pic of a Delta kitchen faucets supply stem/tube. They used to be copper and/or brass. Now PEX. The supply tubes on the separate valve are also PEX. Didn't think to take a pic of those. The faucet valve and spout were all metal.

Might end up being ok but push connections make me nervous.
    Last edited by BobsPlumbing; 01-18-2010, 11:43 PM.

Re: Delta PEX parts

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rDYdxCLgWnQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OmlJJ...eature=related

I knows what's coming 12-14 years from now.
    Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

I was visiting our son in Vermont and found that their kitchen faucet needed replacement. I found that the Delta unit I bought had all pex supply lines. Because the supply lines were too long but too short to loop, I had to custom cut the supply line lengths. I used a new plastic pipe/tubing cutter and made a clean perpendicular cut. I belive the pipe was of proper length as it overlapped the brass 3/8" fitting and some slight bending of the pex tubing was required to seat the pex tube into the brass fitting. I used the plastic washer, properly oriented and the cap that came with the Delta faucet and tightened the connection until it was watertight. Everything worked great, no leaks, a job well done. One day later, with nobody around the hot water connection began to profusely spray water which ultimately began pooling up in the basement. Since we had left to return to New York, my son had to call a professional plumber to come in. He said he couldn't see any prolem with the installation and put it back together. It's still together but were afraid to turn our backs on it. Is this a result of some demonic spirit or have I missed some key step in the connection of 3/8" pex to brass - like dancing around the sink shaking a chicken's foot.

I feel that I take care in attention to detail and take great pride in all my work. If my efforts have netted this as an outcome, the all-pex-faucets will become a nightmare for Delta when they reach the average DIY homeowner.

Comment

Thank California for the PEX innards...

" 0% lead content in anything that carries or dispenses drinking water"

Brass has a very small lead content... Thus the invention of the all Pex waterway to comply with (soon to be in effect) Cali law and to continue the downward spiral of product quality for the sake of the corporate profit margin.

Comment

Originally posted by willymac View Post
          I was visiting our son in Vermont and found that their kitchen faucet needed replacement. I found that the Delta unit I bought had all pex supply lines. Because the supply lines were too long but too short to loop, I had to custom cut the supply line lengths. I used a new plastic pipe/tubing cutter and made a clean perpendicular cut. I belive the pipe was of proper length as it overlapped the brass 3/8" fitting and some slight bending of the pex tubing was required to seat the pex tube into the brass fitting. I used the plastic washer, properly oriented and the cap that came with the Delta faucet and tightened the connection until it was watertight. Everything worked great, no leaks, a job well done. One day later, with nobody around the hot water connection began to profusely spray water which ultimately began pooling up in the basement. Since we had left to return to New York, my son had to call a professional plumber to come in. He said he couldn't see any prolem with the installation and put it back together. It's still together but were afraid to turn our backs on it. Is this a result of some demonic spirit or have I missed some key step in the connection of 3/8" pex to brass - like dancing around the sink shaking a chicken's foot.

I feel that I take care in attention to detail and take great pride in all my work. If my efforts have netted this as an outcome, the all-pex-faucets will become a nightmare for Delta when they reach the average DIY homeowner.
          Sorry, but I think you missed something in your connections. It can happen.

J.C.

Comment

Prop 65 has been in effect for several years, and allowed a lead content somewhere in low single digit percent. But it has phase in provisions, and as of Jan. 1, 2010, the limit will be 0.8 %, hence the rash of introductions of "ultra low lead" products. Notice the loophole: the spec limits the lead content of all water contact parts. If you have a LONG pex supply line, or a PVC-lined pull-out spout, that helps a lot to bring down the average lead, even if you have to have a brass body or something. The net of course is a lot more plastic.

Like it or not, California represents 10% of the population of the entire USA. The California economy is larger than most COUNTRIES. So as CA goes, so goes the market. The mayor of San Francisco, speaking on a different issue, sums it up: "like it or not, it's gonna happen!"

Comment

I'm glad to see that my concerns are bellowing from other mouths now in regards to this design.

Been finding the reality in the statements.

To the poster that dug this thread back up...

There's a chance the piping was out of round where you connected, but you would of noticed that when you installed it into the compression fitting.

I don't know if cutting those lines void the warranty or not.

I understand that the reason they made them long was because they put anything up close to the spout and those pivot points are going to snap, given that it's plastic.

I agree though, definitely a "live with it" scenario playing out.
              Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

Originally posted by lovetheUSA View Post
                Prop 65 has been in effect for several years, and allowed a lead content somewhere in low single digit percent. But it has phase in provisions, and as of Jan. 1, 2010, the limit will be 0.8 %, hence the rash of introductions of "ultra low lead" products. Notice the loophole: the spec limits the lead content of all water contact parts. If you have a LONG pex supply line, or a PVC-lined pull-out spout, that helps a lot to bring down the average lead, even if you have to have a brass body or something. The net of course is a lot more plastic.

Like it or not, California represents 10% of the population of the entire USA. The California economy is larger than most COUNTRIES. So as CA goes, so goes the market. The mayor of San Francisco, speaking on a different issue, sums it up: "like it or not, it's gonna happen!"
                This from the state that that pays it's folks in IOU's, crys about going bankrupt while supporting the largest illegal population in the US...

Don't like it and will not stand for it The like it or not mentality is what has gotten this country into it's current troubles and California is at the tip of the spear when it comes to dysfunctional government.

Since this design cheapens the cost of the fixture I can see it going national under the guise of drinking water quality and fattening the corporate wallets.

If it actually made the product cost more it will stay confined to California along with the "California Emission" vehicles that were supposed to save the world

Comment

I will be connecting braided supplies to most of the pex supplies especially if the shut offs are mounted way up in the cabinet. Then I'll loop them in an easy bend into the shut off. I'm not running the risk off kinking them. Just my opinion

Comment

The last one I installed, it was in the instructions as an option to cut them to length as necessary.

J.C.

Comment

Originally posted by saysflushable View Post
                      I will be connecting braided supplies to most of the pex supplies especially if the shut offs are mounted way up in the cabinet. Then I'll loop them in an easy bend into the shut off. I'm not running the risk off kinking them. Just my opinion
                      I have been doing the same thing...

Comment

Originally posted by OkieBill View Post
                        it will stay confined to California along with the "California Emission" vehicles that were supposed to save the world
                        I hate to break this to you, but most car companies do not make "california" models any more. They make all their vehicles to meet CA emissions.

I am not loving the situation, just telling it like it is. By the way, we don't love the illegal aliens, either, and I hear the governator has a new system to give them a one way bus ticket to YOUR state!

Comment

Originally posted by lovetheUSA View Post
                          I hate to break this to you, but most car companies do not make "california" models any more. They make all their vehicles to meet CA emissions.

I am not loving the situation, just telling it like it is. By the way, we don't love the illegal aliens, either, and I hear the governator has a new system to give them a one way bus ticket to YOUR state!
                          Yet California is the only state that demands it's own seperate Emissions warranty (another example of trying to fix the flat as the bus is driving off the cliff)

Since your state overwhelmingly voted for Obama maybe Governator can put his hand out for some hand out...

Sounds like a typical California solution: Let's not solve the problem Lets try to make it someone elses problem...

Please send them to Oklahoma, We have the tuffest illegal laws in the country and take care of business...

Really though, I'm just picking

I was raised in San Bernardino so I'm not just a dumb Okie I'm also a dumb left coaster

Comment

Theres no problem cutting the pex supply lines and using the supplied ferrules. I've installed thousands of pex water supplies and never had one leak. They are a 100% reliable for me. Yes I said THOUSANDS

Comment

Originally posted by TheMaster View Post
                              Theres no problem cutting the pex supply lines and using the supplied ferrules. I've installed thousands of pex water supplies and never had one leak. They are a 100% reliable for me. Yes I said THOUSANDS
                              I just cleaned out the shop and dumped a couple boxes of 100 of them right into the dumpster the other day. I'll never use them and I don't know why we even had them. Wish I would have known you love them so much, could have sent them to you for the price of shipping.

Comment

Working...
                              X