What do you say, when !!!!!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: What do you say, when !!!!!

I used to work for a guy who's biggest customer was a nightclub. We found ourselves there at least once a week. We always seemed to manage the schedule to where thier stop was the last stop of the day. When we finished the job we would order a pitcher of beer at the bar and take it to a table to do paperwork. Once, and only once the owner came to table to discuss what he thought was a high bill. He had the audacity to ask what the parts that we used and my labor as a helper cost! The guy i worked for stayed calm and stood his ground and replied "what did that pitcher of beer that i just paid ten dollars for cost you"? The owner had no reply and paid the bill. To the best of my knowledge is still a customer of that company. The markup charged on materials covers alot of things including labor burden picking it up, warranty issues, etc. That expensive of a house they must be some sort of business owners shoot them stait. I will give you my discount, but i will charge labor for delivery, a warranty fee, for every little part - wax ring, closet bolts, etc. at the end of the sale they are getting the same product at what should be a comparable sale. the only difference is that they feel like they got a better deal buying ten apples (all expenses itemized and billed seperatly) rather than two (toilet and labor). Thanks to the Dave Ramsey's of the world everyone thinks that everything is negotiable and should be negotiated. IMO these kind of customers get off thinking that they screwed thier contractor out of his mark-up, but in actuality they paid the same thing they just bought applaes and oranges, not just apples.

Did I make any sense in all of that??

Comment

Thank you. Since them, some nice folks took their place, always do it seems. As I said
      They lost the use of My services ! Will not answer their calls!
      I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Toolaholic, you know where I stand on this subject. See my informative thread..."firing a customer."
        Water Heater Reviews & Water Heater Information

Comment

True Story: Once a lady complained about my price to repair her shower-valve. She said her old plumber only charged $X dollars, and she thought I was a rip-off for what I charged.
          I asked her, "Why did you call me then, instead of your old plumber?"
          Her answer, word for word: "Oh,well he went out of business."

I guess she thought I should charge the same as he did, and go out of business too.
          Water Heater Reviews & Water Heater Information

Comment

Many thanks to all of you who have reminded me of just how much I have missed the business.
            sigpic

Comment

She sent an other E mail after I ignored the Ist one. Her interior decorator girlfriend can get
              the toilet at a discount. Blew that one off too . Ring on My cell,when can You install? Explain
              Mark up helps with shop, insurance, bla bla bla. You lost the use of My services,CLICK.
              RING,DING,IGNORE,GOES TO VOICE MAIL. BLA BLA BAD dog! HE HE HE. PROBABLY PISTOL WHIPPED THE KAT AROUND THE KITCHEN !
              I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Good work Tool.

I wish more tradesmen would stand up to the foolishness. You get enough people thinking the way we do and that stops the foolishness right there and then.
                Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

Last week when I stopped by to look at the old toilet,. The husband showed Me the latest hack job. In the garage is a new landscape sprinkler control box. Plumbed with about 30ft of
                  plastic irrigation line drooping to the rear wall. Exits 8 ft. high out the wall and Up the rear hill about another 15 ft. in elevation. No back flow protection of course ! Never said a word.
                  Some folks don't deserve us!

Comment

Working...
                  X