What do you say, when !!!!!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What do you say, when !!!!!

New Customer leaves a message "the last plumber passed on His discount on a new toilet,
    Will You ?
    I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Re: What do you say, when !!!!!

Just tell him "Sure, I'll pass on my cost price......the toilets I put in start at $1500....plus installation, of course...."

"When would you like me to install that toilet??"
    I'm on "The List" and I love it!!

Comment

NO, i'd tell them to call the last guy, if he was so freaking good.

i'll help out if it's really needed but don't ask for it up front.

steve
      In the never ending struggle to keep the water flowing.... The Poo Poo Cowboy rides again!!!

Comment

The home is around 1.5 Mill. I did a lot of work for their neighbor. They lost the use of My services. Will not return the call !
        I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Originally posted by toolaholic View Post
          The home is around 1.5 Mill. I did a lot of work for their neighbor. They lost the use of My services. Will not return the call !

The guy on the other side of town in the $150000 house would probably pay you for your work without being weaselly and asking for a discount up front.

Seems the level of respect for professional workmanship seems to get lower as the customer house size gets bigger/pricier.......
          I'm on "The List" and I love it!!

Comment

Sure. But make the labor rate go up.

J.C.

Comment

Honestly, Lowe's and HD sell the toilets at my cost anyway. Tell them to pick up their own toilet and you will install it or you will pick it up and charge them for the time to do it (and sometimes those check out lines are looooong.)
              "Man will do many things to get himself loved, he will do all things to get himself envied." Mark Twain

Comment

Many years ago I had a large National Insurance Company promise to give me a ton of consulting work if I lowered my rate for them to $XXX.XX per hour. I told them the work sounded great but unfortunately I did not have a rate that low so they would have to find someone else. I still had plenty of work from clients who were not looking for a discounted rate. Some 10-years later the Insurance Company started using me again and by now my rates had increased 30%.

There are plenty of customers out there willing to pay a fair price without getting into your pocket. It never fails but when you lower your price you eat you contingency up and that's the project where you end up needing it so you lose money on the job. Stick to your prices or be prepared to take a loss.

Mark
                "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

i don't give them my wholesale cost.

but i do give them 20-30% off of list price.

that still gives me 20-30% markup from cost.

if i can't compete, i'll tell them.

sometimes they get it cheaper with no tax or shipping.

joey's new oven was a few hundred less than the best price we found at sears.
                  no tax or shipping cost.

rick.
                  phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by toolaholic View Post
                    New Customer leaves a message "the last plumber passed on His discount on a new toilet,
                    Will You ?

You already know where I'd go with this.

I'd low-ball it, and schedule the call like 9 times with no intention of ever showing up.

I'd apologize every time, and enjoy the disappointment in his voice for being so kind to bless me with the opportunity to serve him as a customer.
                    Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

Dunbar, almost every time you post, I think of Bernie Mac saying "Don't be mad at me, I'm just saying what you're thinking but scared to to say". I'm justy not secure enough in my business where I can afford the bad press.
                      Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

"What happened to the last guy?"

Probably went out of business.

Comment

Originally posted by gear junkie View Post
                          Dunbar, almost every time you post, I think of Bernie Mac saying "Don't be mad at me, I'm just saying what you're thinking but scared to to say". I'm justy not secure enough in my business where I can afford the bad press.

Ahhh but you'll get there soon enough, and you'll think back all the years that you got walked on, just like I did at one time and think of a song that pretty much nails it in summary. Minus the long hair and face makeup. I try to stress to those in business that there are times where you can't avoid these situations because there's people that will take advantage of you by surprise. That's being walked on. You either stand for your company or stand down and take the hit. They're expecting you to take it on the chin and I won't.

Don't take it as bad press, I certainly don't. If I come off as a prick to a customer, that means you've obviously went outside the realm of being considerate and polite and I'm going to make sure you know it, and enough to make sure you tell your friends and family too.

Because what's awesome is I'm notorious for being a straight shooter, honest, blunt honest and when I leave your home that the plumbing work is complete and done correct.

My only downfall at present moment is committing to time schedules and being late....which is a horrible trait I've recently acquired.
                          Last edited by DUNBAR PLUMBING; 11-29-2008, 04:12 PM.
                          Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

dunbar and everybody else,

`raise a little hell` trooper.

Vince

i`m experiencing technical difficulties with my sand (silica) box.

Comment

It gets better. 1 1/2 years ago this gal calls at 9 pm. Don't know Her,She's good friends and neighbor of My customer. Her Painters hit the Earth Quake gas valve and No Heat Or Hot water. I come out and Light off everything. No xtra charge,Paid for My gas ,I guess. I'm a sucker!

Comment

Working...
                              X