Old dip tube problem???

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Old dip tube problem???

I have a customer that is having some ploblems and I am asking you all if you have idea's for me. Michigan area. Plumbed a house for this customer in 1994-1996. Had the dip tube problem and it was replaced and flushed out. In 2001 the heater went bad, do not remember what was wrong but they insist I replaced it under warrentee. So it has come to my attention that they are still getting flakes white/blue and have had their dishwasher selenoid cleaned replaced every year. I am not sure they are dip tube flakes ..the owner thinks they look the same as always....It weems like the kitchen area is worse than other areas. I have been wondering if a section of old dip tube could have goteen in a line and is still falling apart slowly..seems unlikely...I have suggested putting a 3/4" ball valve as a drain to hook to a hose so we can flush it good whenever we want. It may tell us somthing about whats in the heater. It is city water, others on the street are not having problems. I would appreciate any insight you may have. Thanks

Re: Old dip tube problem???

Copper pipe? Nevermind. I was thinking out of my mind. Check your Private Messages at the top right.

J.C.
    Last edited by BobsPlumbing; 11-30-2008, 08:13 PM.

Comment

It sounds like accelerated degradation of the anode rod due to reaction with the water. If the rod is aluminum, try changing it out to magnesium, or visa versa.

Comment

mstplmr did you check your PM's?

J.C.

Comment

mstplmr I would make sure it's dip tube material 1st then pull the dip tube on the w/h and see if it's another bad one. Is it Holland city water or well? I've not seen Holland water do anything strange to anode rods but well water may be doing something strange.

Comment

Yes, still could be old dip tube particles left in the pipes now working their way to the faucets and selonoids. Especially if the pipes weren't flushed properly after the first incident.

Place the particles in a clean cup of water. If they float it's a dip tube. If they sink it's sediment or other contaminate

Comment

The dip tube that was in the 94' 75 gallon gas water heater today was only an inch long.

Just think about how inefficient that tank has operated over the years.
              Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

Guys thanks for the info. I think it was the anode rod. We flushed the heater by running the hot in garage and laundry hose into a tank and got a ton of material from it. The homowner says it is the stuff he was finding. I switched it out to an aluminum rod and we will keep an eye on it. It was the first time I have seen that, and i wonder why with city water we don't see it at the other houses? Thanks, Mark

Comment

Working...
                X