X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ever done this???

Ever broken a selffeed bit? My first. This is a DeWalt bit. I have Lenox & Milwaukee also. This one did cut great when sharp with the double large cutting edge.

By the way-it was sharp, sharpened right, there were no nails or knots in the wood, and the bit only made it in about 1/16".

J.C.

P.S. Didn't know exactly where to put this thread but I know alot of plumbers use these.
    Last edited by BobsPlumbing; 01-18-2010, 11:43 PM.

Re: Ever done this???

I've had the same Milwaukee bits for 20 years, never broken one. Of course, I use them only once a year now but in the beginning it was every day.

I sharpen them crudely with a carbide bit and it makes them sharp enough to get destroyed by the carpenters nails again.

If the bit truely failed to no fault of yours, and it's a new one, I'd be asking DeWalt to cough up a new one.
    Last edited by DUNBAR PLUMBING; 12-02-2008, 06:41 PM.
    Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

Never seen that before and I have drilled some pretty nasty holes too.

Stop by a DeWalt service center and see if they will give you a new one. I'm pretty sure they arn't suppose to do that.

I'm using the Lenox One-Tooth bits now and I'm very happy with those

Comment

I have a couple of Lenox 1 tooths and they work pretty well. The first 2.5" I bought the tooth wall "kicked out" a little at the slot. Just enough when you compared it to a new one it wouldn't cut at all. The paint was still pretty fresh on it. Drilled maybe 10 holes.

Finally ran into the Lenox rep by accident and got it replaced. The next one has drilled many holes with no problems.

Think I'm going to get the Milwaukee Super Hawg 3 tooth bits. Have to order online though. Not one place here has them. I checked.

J.C.
        Last edited by BobsPlumbing; 12-02-2008, 07:32 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
          Ever broken a selffeed bit? My first. This is a DeWalt bit. I have Lenox & Milwaukee also. This one did cut great when sharp with the double large cutting edge.

By the way-it was sharp, sharpened right, there were no nails or knots in the wood, and the bit only made it in about 1/16".

J.C.

P.S. Didn't know exactly where to put this thread but I know alot of plumbers use these.

I have never done that m because I would never use dewalt for that type of bit, they ,make better tools then bits

But then again, just my opinion

Originally posted by DUNBAR View Post
          I've had the same Milwaukee bits for 20 years, never broken one. Of course, I use them only once a year now but in the beginning it was every day.

I sharpen them crudely with a carbide bit and it makes them sharp enough to get destroyed by the carpenters nails again.

If the bit truely failed to no fault of yours, and it's a new one, I'd be asking DeWalt to cough up a new one.
          Agreed and my point exactly.

I have been roughing houses since I was 16 using Milwaukee bits, ans I mean drilling through nails, all that nasty crap you do to bits and in fact I have never even seen an arbor break.
          Last edited by PlumbingSkool; 12-02-2008, 07:16 PM.
          Help With Your Pool Or Spa Pump?►WeT HeaD Pump Repair ► Watch Me On YouTube: Pool & Spa Pump Repair TV
          New: Pump Repair MagazineNew: Pool & Spa Pump Repair Forums

Comment

I wonder if Dewalt changed there design on these recently...

I just bought a 2" self fed Dewalt bit a few days ago and the design is different...hmmmm

I went through a nail and thought "Well my new bit is toast" but to my surprise it did not show any damage...

JC how old is that bit?

Okie

Comment

I'm gonna' guess the bit is a couple of years old. Believe it or not I had a Lenox selffeed bit in this size that "walked off the job" so I bought the only one available at the time. This DeWalt one.

I believe the weakness has to be the double cutter. Lenox & Milwaukee only have 1 clearing blade.

J.C.

Comment

I have many ,many augers and hole saws. Ist click,click of a nail I switch from auger to lenox hole saw,so should You !
                I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Originally posted by toolaholic View Post
                  I have many ,many augers and hole saws. Ist click,click of a nail I switch from auger to lenox hole saw,so should You !
                  Been doing that long before I knew there was a Ridgid Forum.

J.C.

Comment

The hole saw will work on rebar also. If you are hammer drilling in concrete and can expose the rebar take a hole saw and remove the pilot bit, cut what you can of the steel but not the concrete, hammer awhile and then the hole saw again. It works.

G3

Comment

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post

Think I'm going to get the Milwaukee Super Hawg 3 tooth bits. Have to order online though. Not one place here has them. I checked.

J.C.
                      went to home depot on sunday to check the deals

ended up with $200. worth of deals

they have the 7 piece set of 3 tooth cutters in a case for $99.00.

it's 4 bits and the arbor and pilot with case.

a good package deal.

rick.
                      phoebe it is

Comment

Thanks Rick. Checked 2 local Lowes, 1 Home Depot, 2 local supply houses, & 1 local/national supply house.

When I was near them of course. I'm not riding around wasting that much time.

J.C.

Comment

You got a permit for them guns you carrying? The drill didn't torque up on you?
                          Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

looks defective to me.

maybe there was a crack to begin with.

jc, if you look closely at the shear mark, is there any rust or oxidation?

Vince

Comment

Originally posted by gear junkie View Post
                              You got a permit for them guns you carrying? The drill didn't torque up on you?
                              Yeah, I gotta' quit drilling one handed.

J.C.

Comment

Working...
                              X