X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Liquid Drano

This is sad.And only ignorance to blame.

We have tried and tried on this forum to warn others the absolute damage these acid based chemical drain cleaners to their drainage system,but we cannot get the word out far or fast enough.

A friend of mine called me to his home to help him with a problem he's having DIY'ing his own underslab plumbing repair under his back to back baths.I get there and find he's got his entire master bath jackhammered and waste exposed.It has been for quite a few months I guess cause he wanted to wait till he had the money to pay me
    The whole house smelled of that polluted dirt stench.

The waste draining from his washing mashine,connecting to his kitchen and then continuing to the bathrooms is completely rotted out thanks to drain cleaners.He's lucky his three waste line are on the front exterior wall so all a plumber has to do is pop all three out and connect in the front yard.Can you imagine the damage if I would have had to tear up his hardwood floor through the family room,kitchen,entry and carpeting in one bedroom then sawcut his slab.

Another piece of advice.
    You homeowners insurance does not cover any of this.
    I called Plumber Rick to verify this because I could not believe it.I guess he and Utah have already looked through it and found it to be true.

Homeowners,please stop using these products.

Re: Liquid Drano

True. Do you have mostly slab houses there?

J.C.

Comment

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
      True. Do you have mostly slab houses there?

J.C.
      All production housing since the early seventies.Most built before that was usually raised.Customs go both ways,most slab.

Comment

Slab houses exist here (Igloos in the winter,too.)
        But they are rare,mostly built after ww2 for the g.i.'s.
        With a lot of unfinished basements here it makes life exciting.
        And when the d.i.y'ers put copper in unheated outside walls (as opposed to interior walls)
        and they freeze and burst I like to call the burst points smiley faces because I will likely have 2 to fix and charge for.(Psssssssssssssssssssst )

Comment

I spilled some on my foot the other day, here is the pic...seriously, I can never even understand how they get away with selling this stuff anymore! BAD NEWS!!
          Attached Files

Comment

Here in NC is mostly crawlspace. You almost couldn't find a slab house if you wanted one 7 or 8 years ago. Then, the building boom....

Housing corporations that eliminate the floor system to turn & burn. Part of the overbuilding problem too in my opinion.

Anyway, doubt you can find more than 5 residences in my area on slab with CI & galvy.

Maybe 3.

J.C.

Comment

No slab houses in Toronto, Canada (unless you count garden sheds). All homes have basements due to having to pour footings below the frost line of at least 4 ft, so digging out of a basement is not that much more in terms of cost. But from all these posts I read on slab houses and their plumbing problems, I can see where they can be a really pain in the___ to service.

Comment

Originally posted by NorthernIllinoisPlumber View Post
                I spilled some on my foot the other day, here is the pic...seriously, I can never even understand how they get away with selling this stuff anymore! BAD NEWS!!

I'm heading to get corn chips right now! Gotta sudden urge and I'm howngre!
                Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

I charge extra for drano

and I tell the Customers straight off about it. They look at me like I'm crazy, but after explaining the hazards to the ecology, drains, my hands and my equipment they usually see my point. Ever work under a sink (closed environment) after drain cleaner has been used? Takes hours before normal breathing comes back.

Comment

[quote=drtyhands;191450]All production housing since the early seventies.Most built before that was usually raised.Customs go both ways,most slab.[/quote]

So that is why everyone likes to get on roofs and rod drains. They don't have a choice in the matter, short of pulling toilets.

Now why didn't they put that in the code that every structure on a slab must have a cleanout right outside the building structure?

I've been able to get one plumbing revision changed in my 3 county area, forcing plumbers to strap the expansion tanks on install.

The one they won't go along with *plumbing division* is making the new construction plumber strap all kitchen sink drains every 2' or less......removing those issues of the piping sagging between j-hooks.

Those kitchen sink drains with 110 degree water flowing through them, followed by cold water is destroying the pipe from the word go, and less than a year most times.

It goes against the known plumbing principles of installing an error-free piping system in my opinion.
                    Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

I used to do plumbing in Cali. I moved to Colorado 2 years ago. I really miss those under slab leaks in Cali, good money on those repairs. Any copper pipe underground in Colorado is type K. Will probably never leak. Hey even my own well water line was routed right under the furnace.
                      ANYONE CAN TAKE THE HELM WHEN THE SEA IS CALM.

Comment

We had the CO outside code here for years. Also supporting the expansion tank. No support on kitchen sink every 2' though. Haven't seen sagging in PVC. Maybe I should look closer.

I still do new construction. What about a C.O. in the attic vent line? That would keep people off the roof. If the roofs too steep, and the vent is what's needed to use, I've cut one in there.

J.C.

Comment

clean outs are required on slabs.

problem is finding them. some are buried, covered, missing.

remember that in single family homes and duplexes, we don't get a real plumbing inspector. we get a combination inspector.

typically they're useless for plumbing inspections.

rick.
                          phoebe it is

Comment

I still do new construction. What about a C.O. in the attic vent line? That would keep people off the roof. If the roofs too steep, and the vent is what's needed to use, I've cut one in there.

J.C.[/QUOTE]

Are You serious? Access is usually in a very full clothes closet ! Do You want to lift a 250 lb. drum machine over Your head???????? Also be fun to get down! I can see the R R boys boots sticking through the drywall! HE HE
                            I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Working...
                            X