Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Knuckleheads

Sorry not a Harley-Davidson thread

Lazy tradesmen that don't think of the next guy,recent examples:

Crawl space INSIDE of house gas line to the side with tee and elbow riser with a 8" nipple turned to middle of access hole. House is @50 y.o. why someone had not tighten it to get it out of the way before me I don't get it, 5 seconds bam! Done, yes checked for leak.

Yesterday, crawl space INSIDE of house 3/4" emt running right smack in the middle of a otherwise beautiful access hole

I work on alot of 50's home with crawl space, can someone tell me why access holes were put INSIDE of the house, sometimes in a front hall closet and to often in the masterbedroom closet. More often there is an access outside opposite end of house from plumbing INSIDE= maybe for weather concerns but this is sunny socal

Many examples but these recently have stuck in my crawl space

wookie

Re: Knuckleheads

usually i see inside ones when it's a remodel. they're too lazy to cut one in the existing foundation. or don't install one in the new footings.

i had a gas main to replace with the meter out at the curb.

the tie in was under the house. problem was there was no access to the tie in house had an addition and they never made an access hole to the existing plumbing that got covered.

that's where my concrete chainsaw comes in

i like the inside access. it's usually a much closer crawl.

rick.
    phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
      usually i see inside ones when it's a remodel. they're too lazy to cut one in the existing foundation. or don't install one in the new footings.

i had a gas main to replace with the meter out at the curb.

the tie in was under the house. problem was there was no access to the tie in house had an addition and they never made an access hole to the existing plumbing that got covered.

i like the inside access. it's usually a much closer crawl.

rick.
      Yes the inside access is usually closer to the work to be done, but being a 260lb brad pitt lookalike sometimes difficult to fit in. Got to lay down all the tarps and vacum up. I'll take outside access.

wookie

Comment

problem with outside access is than you get lazy homeowners or workers that dont seal it correctly than you are crawling in every neighborhood cat or possums pee and crap
        Mike
        Clark County Plumbing And Drain
        www.plumbinginclarkcounty.com

Comment

There is one more reason for the indoor closet access to the underside of the house because my house has one. Believe it or not where I live in west Los Angeles, the area where my house sits is considered a flood zone so I actually have to pay flood insurance. Once during a huge storm I saw water coming back out of the storm drains and all of the manhole covers had popped so I kind of believe there may have been a bigger problem back when they built up our neighborhood back in 1945. No exterior crawl access means no water under your house. I like many of my neighbors have installed an exterior crawl hole so that when I have to get under there I dont have to pull everything out of the closet and set up drops.

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post

rick.
            You know, I am starting to think that Tim Allan was the wrong guy for the show, It seems you DO have every tool in the book
            Help With Your Pool Or Spa Pump?►WeT HeaD Pump Repair ► Watch Me On YouTube: Pool & Spa Pump Repair TV
            New: Pump Repair MagazineNew: Pool & Spa Pump Repair Forums

Comment

I've always loved looking for an outside cleanout only to find a deck built right over it.
              Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Originally posted by gear junkie View Post
                I've always loved looking for an outside cleanout only to find a deck built right over it.
                Or the AC unit and pad is sitting on top of the c/o.
                Kenneth Collier
                Maintenance and Sewer

P.O. Box 9441
                Jackson, MS 39206
                (601) 613-2678 (Cell)
                drainman881999@yahoo.com

Comment

In California there is no code on low voltage wiring so when you crawl under a house you can encounter a spiderweb of alarm, stereo, cable TV and telephone wires littered on the ground. On some of our repipes I actually had extra costs associated with hanging up the wires before we would start our work. I was surprised at how many people took us up on this.

Comment

Wanna' know about some real knuckleheads? More than once we've encountered a septic tank under the living space. Built additions right over it.

J.C.

Comment

Working under or having to crawl thru an old bathroom remodel where they dumped all the old broken tile, concrete,lath wire etc. right in the crawl space, lazy bums.

wookie

Comment

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
                        Wanna' know about some real knuckleheads? More than once we've encountered a septic tank under the living space. Built additions right over it.

J.C.
                        http://www.all-clear-sewer.com/

Comment

J.C.
                          I represented a City once in a city sewer overflow (backwater valve) case. In reviewing documents I found where they were missing one of their manholes. The missing manhole ended up being located in the back room of an auto parts store. I guess the store expanded and built right over the top without anyone noticing.

Mark
                          "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Originally posted by ToUtahNow View Post
                            I represented a City once in a city sewer overflow (backwater valve) case. In reviewing documents I found where they were missing one of their manholes. The missing manhole ended up being located in the back room of an auto parts store. I guess the store expanded and built right over the top without anyone noticing.

Mark
                            We went to pump a septic tank for a local GC that is just a nut. Many stories and he's been doing work for 30+ years. Anyway we're looking for the septic tank and ask him where is it?

He says, "Oh it's under the sunroom." We ask how are we going to pump it?
                            He tells us, "That's no problem. Come on in. We go inside and he's built a trapdoor over the lid that's under a rug like the door to Grandpa Munsters workshop.

Run the hoses through the house, living room & all, and pump away.

J.C.

Comment

Run the hoses through the house, living room & all, and pump away.

Comment

Working...
                              X