X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• finding small leak

we ran about 600 feet of cast iron in a medical building above a finished ceiling in cast iron to service the second floor. we have isolated the leak done to about 200 feet we haved sprayed leak detector on all of the fittings and pipe and found one cracked pipe and one cracked fitting but it still bleedes off on the 5 # test i think it is a sand hole in a piece of pipe. what i am wondering of there is a sniffer and gas that can be used to locate the leak easly and not be frowned upon since it is in an occupied medical building we are going to try spearment tommorow but i was hoping to be educated for an easier and faster way for next time

Re: finding small leak

unfortunately, air is the proper test in an occupied medical complex.

try the spearmint scent and have the guy with the bad nose do the placing of the spearmint into the line. keep the good sniffers to locate the leak.

you could also try a smoke bomb. not a flare

rick.
    phoebe it is

Comment

I am a big fan of pine sol or any generic version.When you find your leak every one else thinks your cleaning!I came across this when I couldn't find pepermint.
      Scent for scent I'm sure it is as strong.And as Rick with the concrete chainsaw says..
      have the guy with the cold or bad sniffer dump it in.
      I suppose this is in an area where you are pushing up a thousand ceiling tiles.

Comment

Not saying I would BUT....

A guy could juce up the system with 134A and use a refigerant leak detector

Okie

Comment

figured it out it was our caps on out t wyes we had two of them where we turned directions we used torque 80 bands and the caps were the shallow type and with the high torque bands it was liping over and was cuasing such a little leak but the leak detector would not bubble wierd went to regular bands and no problem

Comment

Help me. I don't understand this. Didn't the plumbing test show the leak?

Thanks.

J.C.

Comment

the leak test when we sprayad it on it never bubbled but when we put fernco caps on it held the test when we started looking at the blind cap and high torque band and it had a lip rolled up and we had another plumber on the job said he had seen it before

Comment

If you are talking about Husky bands I think they are the worst.

Comment

Originally posted by OkieBill View Post
                  Not saying I would BUT....

A guy could juce up the system with 134A and use a refigerant leak detector

Okie
                  Yea right, not in this country!
                  ANYONE CAN TAKE THE HELM WHEN THE SEA IS CALM.

Comment

I have to disagree with Husky bands being the worst. My opinion is they are the best ones out there. I have put alot more air pressure than needed and the guy with the good hearing usually finds the leak.

Comment

It seems like the rubber is harder in the Hushies and in cold weather they dont set-up as good.

Comment

Working...
                      X