X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Guess the solution

Customer just called. Boiler not firing and only the pilot light is lit on the water heater, regardless of how the temperature is set on the tank. First person who guesses the solution correctly gets....well I guess they get just the pride and ability to gloat that they were right. I will be back on in a couple hours to let you know the outcome.
    Distractions are everywhere, don't lose sight of your dream.

Re: Guess the solution

My first initial guess would be that there is very little gas coming through a possible bad regulator???? That would explain both the boiler not firing up and the water heater only getting enough for the pilot.

Comment

The vent on the requlator at the gas meter is iced over causing 'street pressure' (probably 2 lbs) inside the building. The gas valves wont open with 2 lbs to them.

Andy

Comment

knob on gas valve set to 'pilot'
        This is my reminder to myself that no good will ever come from discussing politics or religion with anyone, ever.

Comment

Water heater gas valve was set to pilot. Homeowner installed the conversion kit on a Whirlpool heater and forgot to turn the gas control back to on. I could not figure out why the boiler would not even try to fire. Good power, jumped thermostat wires, nothing. I guess I am just not that smart yet. Since I couldn't remedy the problem, no charge and referred him to someone else. But he insisted and gave me $25 for gas.

Comment

I think its the regulator. I didn't think regulators could go bad, but after seeing a few occasions where a brand new regulator fixed everything, I'm a believer now
            YourHomeContractor.com - The Trusted Online Community For Homeowners and Contractors.

Plumbing Reviews

Comment

The boiler was a mid 70's Weil Mclain. 24V going into a pilot control box. 5v coming from a white wire down to the burner assembly. 15V coming from between the red (spark) wire and the white wire. No voltage at the gas valve or anywhere else. I'm thinking it was something in the pilot control box, but not real sure.

Comment

Do you even know how to test for proper voltage?

What model Weil Mclain boiler?

VHE? HEII?, AHE?

Was the pilot lit on boiler?

Did it try to spark?

Some of those mid 70's WM boilers had a 90 sec time delay. Don't be impatient with those

Did it have a normal thermocouple? or plug in type?

Comment

Nope, no idea how to test for proper voltage. No pilot light. No attempt to spark. There was no thermocouple, an electronic spark and flame sensor.

Comment

gas bill not paid

Comment

Originally posted by Devine Plumbing View Post
                      Nope, no idea how to test for proper voltage. .
                      PLEASE, tell me your kidding.
                      I don't know how to test for proper voltage, but I don't work on boilers or even act like I know the slightest thing about them.
                      That was a joke right?
                      INSIGHT PIPE is now Maine Drain Serving most of ME with no charge for travel! 207-431-6232 is nolonger a working # our NEW # is 207-355-1476
                      Sewer main snaking (roto rooting). Sink clogs. Sewer backup. Pipe inspection/locating. No Dig trenchless repair. Root clog removal.We are NOT to replace your local Plumber, as we do not do plumbing. WE ARE YOUR DRAIN CLEANING EXPERTS!!! www.sewermaine.com waterville winslow bangor augusta skowhegan fairfield pittsfield oakland

Comment

Originally posted by Gene Bickford View Post
                        PLEASE, tell me your kidding.
                        I don't know how to test for proper voltage, but I don't work on boilers or even act like I know the slightest thing about them.
                        That was a joke right?
                        I don't work on boilers, short of maybe changing a solenoid valve. However, if a customer of mine calls me at 9:00 at night on a Friday night complaining of no heat and it is 15 degrees out, I will go out there to make sure it is not something simple like a blown fuse, tripped circuit, gas valve shut off, loose wire, etc. If I can't fix it or be of assistance, no charge.

Comment

You say " I don't work on boilers" yet You started a post about working on boilers.

I'm all for someone willing to work, but at some point YOU are crossing the line. It's one thing to do plumbing without a license but now your working on heating systems???
                          I know you are Devine but I hope you are right with the lord cause when you smoke out a family your judgment day will come.

When I first started in the drain cleaning business I was desperate and taking any job I could get, including a few water heaters and plumbing jobs. When I found this forum I realized how little I knew about plumbing and how much I was over my head and had NO business doing what I was so I stopped.Now I do drain cleaning and thats it. Some customers call me their plumber and I correct them right then.

I have read many of your post. I think you are a knowledgeable man in regards to plumbing and it sounds like you know a few things about heating. Why not go to school and become legit?

I'm not trying to trash you, but I think you have crossed the line when it comes to heating, lives are at stake. When you put your head on your pillow do you feel your right?
                          INSIGHT PIPE is now Maine Drain Serving most of ME with no charge for travel! 207-431-6232 is nolonger a working # our NEW # is 207-355-1476
                          Sewer main snaking (roto rooting). Sink clogs. Sewer backup. Pipe inspection/locating. No Dig trenchless repair. Root clog removal.We are NOT to replace your local Plumber, as we do not do plumbing. WE ARE YOUR DRAIN CLEANING EXPERTS!!! www.sewermaine.com waterville winslow bangor augusta skowhegan fairfield pittsfield oakland

Comment

I started a post, not because I am hoping for some secret information that is magically going to turn me into a boiler technician. I have no desire to work on boilers, and refer all of my boiler calls to another company. However, when the call does come in after the customer has already called four companies and none of them want to come out due to slippery conditions, I am willing to go do a simple service call making sure that the gas and power are turned on. I am just a lowly drain cleaner, probably with just enough knowledge to make me dangerous, thats why I stay away from plumbing, heating, air conditioning, etc.

Comment

Working...
                            X