X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Split cast question

I have seen it in houses built in the 40's and 50's.

Comment

I replumbed a home built in 1927. The vert. stack crumbled. dried out. Doesn't get the moisture like the the horizontal.
      I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Done some remodeling at the coast that you could crumble the bell in your hand. But.....that WAS the coastline with sea air.

J.C.

Comment

Don't forget "Liberty" pipe produced during the second world war. It was incredibly thin. I've seen many vertical Liberty pipe stacks fail.
          NoHub spun pipe seemed to have the most failures too.
          Toolaholic, I'm remodeling a 1938 house down here, on the beach, with the original extra heavy still in good shape.
          Mike

Comment

Update.The plumber tells me the pipe i.d. was something like 2 3/4" so he had quite a bit*h getting a mission band on.He did it but it was on a perfect fit but it didn't leak.
            In his words..."Looked like a child had a go at the band!"
            Last edited by Jay Mpls; 12-14-2008, 10:02 PM. Reason: mild curses not allowed

Comment

Was that at a transition point? CI to PVC or ABS?

Thanks.

J.C.

Comment

He put in pvc.

Comment

Originally posted by myakka View Post
                  Don't forget "Liberty" pipe produced during the second world war. It was incredibly thin. I've seen many vertical Liberty pipe stacks fail.
                  NoHub spun pipe seemed to have the most failures too.
                  Toolaholic, I'm remodeling a 1938 house down here, on the beach, with the original extra heavy still in good shape.
                  Mike
                  I'm jealous,been remodeling for 47 years ,and It's still fun most days. I'm blessed to have My 37 year old Son beside Me. After working togeather for 10 years,We became friends again,I GREW UP!
                  I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Originally posted by Jay Mpls View Post
                    He put in pvc.
                    Just curious if they used a PVC transition fitting along with the mission band. If not you can get the "kink" alot of times.

J.C.

Comment

The cast I see split is usually vertical. The last one I repaired was from a circa 1900 vintage house, the split was in the first floor, but there were two floors on above it. What a mess.
                      Time flies like an arrow.

Fruit flies like a banana.

Comment

Usually only see splits in Service Weight. Rarely ever in Xheavy. USually splits down a seem, mostly on horizontal. I think that the installer is usually to blame. Either not enough hangers, or improperly hung putting too much stress on the pipe.

Sometimes weather has an impact if the seem was weak to begin with.

Comment

Working...
                        X