Split cast question

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Split cast question

A co worker called to and asks Had I ever seen a split cast stack.
    This is a house built in the 50s in St Paul.
    Service weight pipe.
    The h.o. was taking a shower and heard this great CRACK and went into
    the basement and saw water all over the place and her stack split.
    With out seeing it I vote there has been some settling of the house
    and it is a stress fracture.Hot shower/cold unfinished basement.
    (Cold,maybe 55-60 degrees is my thought.)
    He thought the pipe itself looked a bit thin.
    It came in at the end of the day and the guy was booked.
    He applied a "silver bandage" and will be back.
    Hope to have a pic from him.
    Well?

Re: Split cast question

I've never seen a whole stack crack. There have been times when I used the soil pipe cutters on an old pipe and I had to keep cutting because it kept cracking farther down, but never a total split. That's crazy!!
    YourHomeContractor.com - The Trusted Online Community For Homeowners and Contractors.

Plumbing Reviews

Comment

I've seen this happen so many times in my area that I figured it was normal.

Probably cracked on the casting.

Cast iron splits all the time at the top on horizontal runs, sewer gas thinning it out over years, plumbers using the cheap cast iron.
      Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

funny you brought this up. we/ mark, adam and i were chatting about this last week over dinner

i brought up the fact that i've also seen it happen lots of times. it actually seems to spring open with a gap.

an interesting observation was a hotel we did new in 1990. the owner called me looking for advise

seems that they are having problems with the planter/ area drain lines splitting on top/ 12:00 .

i asked if it was just the planter drains or also the waste / sanitary lines?

he said just the planter/ area drains.

i told him interesting as all the pipe was installed the same time with the same material. told him it's the lack of rinsing of the pipe and the stagnant water from the planters with dirt/ fertilizer that's sitting there.

the waste lines are always being flushed with the normal use of fixtures.

have also seen lots of roof drains split on the horizontal piping.

rick.
        phoebe it is

Comment

I heard something about this, Asian manufacturers buying our scrap and processing it out at sea.

Comment

It finally gave way...I dont think the house settled. I would not even bring it up, unless you see cracked drywall.

Comment

The way it gave way is interesting. I see a lot of very old cast in these parts (Atlas knows) as many od the houses went up around 1900 1920 and those stacks do fine.
              Poor quality after the war?
              It's quiet this morning.First service call at 10. This week is looking slim right now!
              Rick,I have seen some instances of this in newer parts of town to the southwest where some of the houses have no basement and the cast has split open exactly on top/12:00.So they then had a cast iron trench!
              Last edited by Jay Mpls; 12-10-2008, 08:56 AM.

Comment

I've seen a ton of cracked cast iron, usually horizontal runs at 12:00, sometimes verticals, 2", 3", and 4", the vast majority of it in one building about 10 years old. All I can think about this one building is a bunch hit the ground hard when they were unloading it and got tiny cracks in it. Anyone got a theory?
                This is my reminder to myself that no good will ever come from discussing politics or religion with anyone, ever.

Comment

We see it all of the time. Most of the time it is limited to one five foot length of soil pipe, from bell to spigot. My theory is that since cast iron is so brittle it just cracked from some sort of tension.

Occaisonally you'll see a crack from the bottom of the F&W vertically down 2- five foot lengths. That must be from something to do with the structure as the crack goes right across a bell joint and down to the next five footer. We replace as much as can be gotten to without wrecking the whole house.

Comment

This stuff is all nohub... usually its right the way thru one piece at 12:00, sections either side of it just fine.
                    This is my reminder to myself that no good will ever come from discussing politics or religion with anyone, ever.

Comment

Let's see if we can narrow it down.

What brand or brands have you seen?

I have not seen it that often but maybe I just haven't been where some of you have been so to speak.

Also, Charlotte Foundry is here & maybe they make better CI. Or is what you're seeing made by Charlotte?

McWain? Others?

J.C.
                      Last edited by BobsPlumbing; 12-10-2008, 07:52 PM.

Comment

I don't think I ever saw no-hub crack like the bell and spigot cracked. Could be age or more likely the n.h. was made with better techniques. Also the N.H. couplings would be more flexible than a well packed/poured lead joint.
                        Last edited by APHCO; 12-10-2008, 07:51 PM. Reason: corect speling erors

Comment

there is a big building downtown I service. Because of our winters and all the salt were replace at least 10 to 15 lengths a year in the underground parking lot. is is just wet enough to get in there but never a wash out.

Comment

Know I've seen cracked tyler, think charlotte as well

Comment

Funny this came up, just got home (8:30pm) from working o.t. to replace a 3" no hub cast iron stack. Most, 90%, that I see is horizontal piping that has crumbled along the top. This is caused by the pipe drying out and the sewer gases and becoming brittle. I do see it vertically occasionally and most of that time is the stack from the 2nd to 3rd floor. The h.o. does not use the 3rd floor bath often and the cast dries out, then guests stay over and use the 3rd floor bath and bang, a split.

Tonight was in a 30 year old commercial building, a 10 foot piece of NH split about 6 feet above the 2nd floor and carried down through the floor.
                              It didn't stop there it cracked another 12" piece and the NH san tee below that. I believe this was due to downward pressure put on the pipe. Not enough support and the weight split it.

I love when it cracks, it pays my bills.

Comment

Working...
                              X