Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Had a confrontation with a diy

Originally posted by Chemeng View Post
    I have a manual Ridgid threader, but I sometime don't even use it for only a few threads....the Home Depot I go to threads them for free for me even though they are supposed to charge $1 per thread. In Toronto, they often use soft copper tube to run to a furnace, water tank, or stove. I hate that stuff...one accidental nail in the line and it could be game over. I have never seen a nail go through BLACK IRON.

then you've never worked construction and seen the framers shoot their nail guns right through our safety plates and into the steel gas lines.

with all the shear wall we are required, the nails are every 2-4'' apart. these are .131 thick heavy.

rick.
    phoebe it is

Comment

Forget nail guns, while I was doing a home for Cher, I had a framer with a framing hammer hit a 16 so hard it went through 3/4" plywood, a safety plate, in one side and out the other side of a 3/4" copper pipe and into a joist. He drove the nail so hard the pipe did not leak until months after she had moved in.

Mark
      "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

It happens everywhere Rick but the worst is the salemen asking the Licensed plumber standing beside them to explain how to install it you`d think that they would have more sense.

Tony

Comment

As I said, I have never seen a nail go through a black iron pipe...is it possible? ABSOLUTELY! Everything is possible. (I remember seeing a plumber trying to remove a copper strap from a 1/2" copper water pipe with a large screwdriver, accidentally punctured the copper water pipe...stuff happens).
          Bottom line is what has more of chance to survive a nail or screw or any impact: Copper tubing or black iron?
          I choose: BLACK IRON for natural gas! It's been around for a hundred years and is PROVEN and STRONG.

Comment

I thought Copper was a no no for natural gas everywhere???

In this day and age knowing what we know about copper and nat gas it is a shame that anyone would still use it...

Okie

Comment

Originally posted by Chemeng View Post
              I choose: BLACK IRON for natural gas! It's been around for a hundred years and is PROVEN and STRONG.
              Its a product that is above the minimum requirement. Where most products these days are at the, just meet minimum requirement.
              Great Link for a Construction Owner/Tradesmen, and just say Garager sent you....

http://www.contractorspub.com

A good climbing rope will last you 3 to 5 years, a bad climbing rope will last you a life time !!!

Comment

Originally posted by OkieBill View Post
                I thought Copper was a no no for natural gas everywhere???

In this day and age knowing what we know about copper and nat gas it is a shame that anyone would still use it...

Okie
                copper is actually legal for gas based on the sulfur content.

they actually make propress fittings for gas. it's a different o-ring / yellow.

in the older areas with meters at the curb, we still find copper gas mains.

typically because we have to install earthquake valves when the house is sold or remodeled.

rick.
                phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                  so for those who think i give advise to just anyone, think again

i was at a supply house today and a homeowner or handyman with his son was buying a tankless heater and 20' of csst/ tract pipe.

the girl behind the counter had cut the pipe with a burr on 1 end. the customer asked how to fix it so it's smooth.

guess what the counter girl turns to me for advise

i actually lectured the counter girl and the homeowner on the fact that this product is suppose to be sold to licensed installers only

i gave no advise other than there's a reason why it's sold to trained and licensed pros only.

i went as far as calling the corporate office as the branch manager was out to lunch. still waiting for a response from corporate.

even called mark for his input

then later in the day i spoke to the branch manager and pleaded my case.
                  of course with sales way down at the branch, they are happy to sell to anyone, licensed or not licensed

i continued with my reasoning and he actually saw it my way

there will be no more sales of csst to anyone without a license and certification

duckbutter should be smiling

rick.
                  Ride with Me ,I have a confrontation every stoplight, It's FUN
                  I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

In Toronto, Canada most new houses have 1" black iron from the outside gas meter through the foundation wall. Then at that point they make sort of like a manifold with 1"- 1"- 1/2" black iron Tees with valves at this point which all the copper tubing will feed off of. Going to each of :water tank, furnace, fireplace, gas stove, etc etc.

All old houses (say 10 year +) nautral gas will be piped in BLACK IRON all the way to the appliance- no copper.

Like I said: I never liked that copper tubing idea for natural gas.

Comment

Originally posted by OkieBill View Post
                      Anyone can buy it but "anyone" can't thread it BI is an artform ...

Unless you want the nipple-coupling-nipple-coupling-nipple-leak-coupling-nipple handyman special...LOL

Okie
                      Ahhh, I just weld the stuff

Comment

So Rick, the bigger question I have is, did you convince them to buy a K60?
                        Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

AFM has it right. Here they also ask us to explain for the DIY.

Earlier post - what is the problem with DIY.
                          Now that you ask I will tell you. Here we have a rigorous process of Licensing which benefits mostly the SLUGS and Grubs(Legal Fraternity persay) whoi chase Plumbers just like they chase Ambulances. Then there is the DIY that has just blown up their house, the neighbors among other things and then they expect the Insurance company to pay out. I am happy to open up the industry if all of our licenses and insurance premiums as well as every other thing we are held responsible for is gotten rid of.

Not everyone can be a plumber, at least not by shopping at the suppliers or similar

Comment

Speaking of framers and their nailguns, I was doing a Dorm building at UC Irvine years ago and sitting down for break with other plumbers when a framer started nailing off some shear panel on a wall accross the room, when appearently he was missing the studs and nails were flying at us like a machine gun. We immediately hit the deck as nails richocet all around us. We yelled for him to stop, but amazingly he did not speak or understand english! Then it came to me.......Alto! Alto! He stopped and walked around the wall and wondered why he had to stop. I believe that the old code that allowed copper gas piping states that it was a tin lined type that supposedly countered the corosion issues.

Comment

Did Rick convince them to buy a K60.. That one really cracked me up!!!

Just like you said, things are slow, sell to anyone. Rick is right on the money when it comes to that product!! Rick, if something bad did happen and this guy hooked up with one of the "sharks"(lawyers) that are all over this country, he may have been able to bring a case against the supply house for selling him that product without a license in the first place. Sure, he doen't care now, but when things go wrong(God forbid a fire or explosion) he's going to point fingers at anyone he can but himself. If he buys a new WC at retail price from said supplier, who cares? As long as he's not buying at your price, who's he going to hurt setting his own toilet? Odds are he'll get it right and that'll be the end of it, or, he'll try it 2-3 times and give up; call a pro. Good for you sticking to your guns and not offering advice to this guy. Hope they explained this clearly to the girl at the counter.

Comment

Some suppliers around here sell only to plumbers/contractors, others sell to anyone. If you are a homeowner working on your own house you can do anything you feel confident doing, plumbing, electrical, HVAC. If working for someone else, you must be liscensed and have permits just to buy the materials.
                                info for all: http://www.hoistman.com http://www.freeyabb.com/phpbb/index....wwtoolinfoforu --- "I like long walks, especially when they are taken by people who annoy me."

Comment

Working...
                                X