Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Had a confrontation with a diy

so for those who think i give advise to just anyone, think again

i was at a supply house today and a homeowner or handyman with his son was buying a tankless heater and 20' of csst/ tract pipe.

the girl behind the counter had cut the pipe with a burr on 1 end. the customer asked how to fix it so it's smooth.

guess what the counter girl turns to me for advise

i actually lectured the counter girl and the homeowner on the fact that this product is suppose to be sold to licensed installers only

i gave no advise other than there's a reason why it's sold to trained and licensed pros only.

i went as far as calling the corporate office as the branch manager was out to lunch. still waiting for a response from corporate.

even called mark for his input

then later in the day i spoke to the branch manager and pleaded my case.
    of course with sales way down at the branch, they are happy to sell to anyone, licensed or not licensed

i continued with my reasoning and he actually saw it my way

there will be no more sales of csst to anyone without a license and certification

duckbutter should be smiling

rick.
    phoebe it is

Re: Had a confrontation with a diy

You did the right thing. What were you doing in Massachusetts today,service call?
    I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

If you spend a good amount of money with that supplier,

I'd threaten to take your money elsewhere if they make a habit of selling to people like that.
      Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

I'm so proud of you. I didn't you had it in you.
        Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Nice job, except I would've took the handyman down with a lateral elbow to the chops.
          West Trail Mechanical Ltd
          Service. Commitment. Expertise.

www.westtrailmechanical.ca

Comment

Most of the suppliers here will not sell to Joe the plumber.Need a license and an established account.
            Last edited by Jay Mpls; 12-10-2008, 02:54 PM.

Comment

for the novices here, what is csst/tract pipe?
              there's a solution to every problem.....you just have to be willing to find it.

Comment

Nice,

GO RICK@@!!!!!
                Help With Your Pool Or Spa Pump?►WeT HeaD Pump Repair ► Watch Me On YouTube: Pool & Spa Pump Repair TV
                New: Pump Repair MagazineNew: Pool & Spa Pump Repair Forums

Comment

Originally posted by FINER9998 View Post
                  for the novices here, what is csst/tract pipe?
                  Corrugated Stainless Steel Tubing for interior gas distribution.

Mark
                  "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

at the risk of upsetting someone, the problem with selling it to a diy type is.......?
                    there's a solution to every problem.....you just have to be willing to find it.

Comment

Originally posted by FINER9998 View Post
                      at the risk of upsetting someone, the problem with selling it to a diy type is.......?
                      The manufacture and its listing require it only be installed by a qualified installer who has completed a CSST training class. This is not a flex-connector, this is the gas lines installed in concealed construction.

Mark
                      "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Originally posted by ToUtahNow View Post
                        The manufacture and its listing require it only be installed by a qualified installer who has completed a CSST training class. This is not a flex-connector, this is the gas lines installed in concealed construction.

Mark
                        Not to mention that in most places it requires a plumbing license and permit to install a water heater. And why should a contractor help the supplier take work away from our industry. They ( the suppliers) are able to do so with out our help.

Comment

Ah, its better to use BLACK IRON anyway...anyone can buy that.

Comment

Originally posted by Chemeng View Post
                            Ah, its better to use BLACK IRON anyway...anyone can buy that.

Anyone can buy it but "anyone" can't thread it BI is an artform ...

Unless you want the nipple-coupling-nipple-coupling-nipple-leak-coupling-nipple handyman special...LOL

Okie
                            Last edited by OkieBill; 12-11-2008, 12:48 AM.

Comment

I have a manual Ridgid threader, but I sometime don't even use it for only a few threads....the Home Depot I go to threads them for free for me even though they are supposed to charge $1 per thread. In Toronto, they often use soft copper tube to run to a furnace, water tank, or stove. I hate that stuff...one accidental nail in the line and it could be game over. I have never seen a nail go through BLACK IRON.

Comment

Working...
                              X