• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• West coast get your pipe thawers out,

http://www.ktla.com/landing_news/?Br...917&feedID=171
    Brrr! Arctic Blast Headed for SoCal

RSS KTLA News

December 10, 2008

LOS ANGELES -- A rare 50 year Arctic blast is on it's way to Southern California according to weather forecasters.

Experts predict the cold weather pattern, which could extend from Alaska to San Diego, will arrive this weekend and send temperatures plummeting.

Freeze warnings are already in effect for the desert areas of Southern California, including the Antelope Valley.

OWSweather.com Meteorologist Kevin Martin predicts a 50 year event.

While Martin is usually conservative on these events, the pattern highly favors it.

"We are in a pre-1950 type pattern, "said Martin. "We know we are due for a winter storm sometime this year.

The type we may be dealing with will be ranked up there with the known years before 1950, which set record low daytime temperatures into the forecast region.

With this, may come low elevation snow."

Forecaster Cameron Venable is seeing very cold temperatures in the Los Angeles areas as well.

Torrance is not usually known for winter weather, thus making this an interesting event for Venable to track.

"Temperatures in Siberia, Russia will be -81 degrees this week, "said Martin. "With those type of temperatures the arctic air mass has to spill somewhere.

Our answer of the exact track will become more clear this week.

All residents in the mountain communities should prepare this week for very cold, winter weather, with snow."

Indications are a second, colder storm could hit near the 18th-22nd time-frame.

The details on that will have to be sorted out.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

http://www.abc15.com/content/weather...MI75y4Fsw.cspx
    Cold air from Siberia set to blast desert southwest
    Reported by: Jenn Burgess
    Email: jburgess@abc15.com
    Last Update: 12/09 10:09 am

Snow turned Happy Jack, Arizona into a winter wonderland. (Betty Bonds)
    Related Links
    National Weather Service, Phoenix
    10-Day Forecast
    A warm November behind them, forecasters in Southern California are now preparing for cold storms to move into the region.

One meteorologist examined the forecast models and said he knows they're due for a winter storm sometime this year. "The type we may be dealing with will be ranked up there with the known years before 1950, which set record low daytime temperatures into the forecast region." Kevin Martin of OWSweather.com said. "With this, may come low elevation snow."

He added that temperatures in Siberia, Russia will be -81 degrees this week. "With those types of temperatures the arctic air mass has to spill somewhere."

Meteorologists with the National Weather Service in Phoenix confirmed that there is a massive pool of cold air over Siberia.

The NWS said that system will affect the Valley this weekend and into next week.

Along with that, they added the potential for snowfall in Arizona's high elevations, is likely.
    Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
    attributed to Samuel Johnson
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Re: West coast get your pipe thawers out,

thanks bhd

i'll swap from tee shirts to long sleeve tee shirts

suppose to be in the mid 70's today

a few years back, i had my first freeze call on a line on the roof feeding swamp coolers. funny part was i called my buddy steve and he had a few calls that day too. along with another plumber friend.

i guess my $14.00 a month gas bill might go up if joey gets cold

i just paid $102. to the gas co. this covers my $2. bill balance and a $100 credit. lets see if it will make it through winter

rick.
    phoebe it is

Comment

I'm on my way
      INSIGHT PIPE is now Maine Drain Serving most of ME with no charge for travel! 207-431-6232 is nolonger a working # our NEW # is 207-355-1476
      Sewer main snaking (roto rooting). Sink clogs. Sewer backup. Pipe inspection/locating. No Dig trenchless repair. Root clog removal.We are NOT to replace your local Plumber, as we do not do plumbing. WE ARE YOUR DRAIN CLEANING EXPERTS!!! www.sewermaine.com waterville winslow bangor augusta skowhegan fairfield pittsfield oakland

Comment

Originally posted by Gene Bickford View Post
        I'm on my way
        gene, i invited you over a year ago

we can clean up in the clean up business

rick.
        phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post

rick.
          If you make that offer 1 more time and business doesn't pick up here soon, I'll be calling you from LAX
          INSIGHT PIPE is now Maine Drain Serving most of ME with no charge for travel! 207-431-6232 is nolonger a working # our NEW # is 207-355-1476
          Sewer main snaking (roto rooting). Sink clogs. Sewer backup. Pipe inspection/locating. No Dig trenchless repair. Root clog removal.We are NOT to replace your local Plumber, as we do not do plumbing. WE ARE YOUR DRAIN CLEANING EXPERTS!!! www.sewermaine.com waterville winslow bangor augusta skowhegan fairfield pittsfield oakland

Comment

It was chilly last night. I just got into my car from a meeting at the thermometer is reading 80 degrees.
            I love my plumber

"My Hero"

Welcome, Phoebe Jacqueline!

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post

rick.
              you never invited me

i see how it is now

its to hot there for me and i think the cost of my electric in the summer time is a lot less then yours
              Charlie

My seek the peek fundraiser page
              http://observatory.mountwashington.o...nal&fr_id=1040

http://www.mountwashington.org/weather/conditions.php

new work pictures 12/09
              http://public.fotki.com/hvachawk/

Comment

charlie, it goes without saying, your always invited

i though we had a bromance going

rick.

p.s. bring rosie, baxter can use a playmate
                phoebe it is

Comment

Sounds like the only global warming is centered around Rick and Joey.

You guys should go up and visit Vince. Maybe we should all go up and visit Vince. I'm sure it would be an education.

I'll bring the country ham and grits!
                  "Man will do many things to get himself loved, he will do all things to get himself envied." Mark Twain

Comment

Boy it really is getting cold here. I may have to set a yard heater next to the spa soon. After jumping out of the 102 degree spa tonight the 20' to the house was almost unbearable.

Mark
                    "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Originally posted by ToUtahNow View Post
                      Boy it really is getting cold here. I may have to set a yard heater next to the spa soon. After jumping out of the 102 degree spa tonight the 20' to the house was almost unbearable.

Mark
                      \

OHHH, You poor thing!

Comment

They said by Tues. here -4 for a high w/ -15 or less for a low!!

Comment

Originally posted by ToUtahNow View Post

Mark
                          when we did have a hot tub ,up until last year it was nice to go in it in the winter with the snow coming down .
                          then like you said it was not so nice to get out and put the cover and walk [ run ] to the house
                          Charlie

My seek the peek fundraiser page
                          http://observatory.mountwashington.o...nal&fr_id=1040

http://www.mountwashington.org/weather/conditions.php

new work pictures 12/09
                          http://public.fotki.com/hvachawk/

Comment

It gets really chilly here once the sun goes down. We are already down to a balmy 63 degrees.

Mark
                            "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

It will be 90 here tomorrow, high humidity and nice chicks on the beach.

Simon

Comment

Working...
                              X