X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• chain wrench

our company services gas stations, and as such we frequently have to spin a 4" riser out of a sump. Ridgid used to make a chain wrench, or chain vise that attached to the riser and a piece of 2" x 5' square stock went over a square tab on the vise and stuck out of the ground so we could put a pair of 36" wrenches. anybody know where we can get one of these. originally i believe the wrench was sold with a 6' two sided handle with a ratcheting piece in the middle for two men to use.
    thanks

ron

Ron,

That was the UST Wrench (cat #56807) and you are correct, we don't make it anymore. I just did a quick Google and didn't find anything, but you might check eBay, or Google on your own.

That was quite an outfit, wasn't it. I had a particular fondness for it, because I got to do the magazine ad photo shoot. The pro was busy the day they did field trials, so knowing I'm an avid photographer, I was asked to shoot some action shots. They ended up in the national advertising campaign! I've still got a copy from one of the magazines in my portfolio.

Sorry we couldn't help you more,
    Steve
    Steve
    www.MorrisGarage.com

Comment

WILL A MCMANNIS WRENCH SUBSITUTE? HOW MUCH CLEARENCE IS IN THE SUMP FROM THE SIDE WALL TO PIPE. I'VE HAD TO CUT AN24'' WRENCH AND WELD A PIPE TO EXTEND IT TO THE SURFACE. YOU COULD WELD A SOCKET TO THE WRENCH ON BOTH SIDES TO TO ALLOW FOR REMOVAL AND TIGHTENING.
      P.S I DID STUMBLE ACCROSS YOUR WRENCH ON EBAY MONTHS AGO.

Comment

http://www.ridgid.com/parts/hand/ust.pdf
        that is the ridgid parts sheet,

but could you make one by using a bolt on chain vice, to a piece of square tubing, and or having another piece of square tubing to slip over the bolted on tube,

drill or torch a couple of large holes on the slip on tube and then insert a fair sized pipe through the hole for a handle.
        Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
        attributed to Samuel Johnson
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Re: chain wrench

Originally posted by Service Station Ron View Post
          our company services gas stations, and as such we frequently have to spin a 4" riser out of a sump. Ridgid used to make a chain wrench, or chain vise that attached to the riser and a piece of 2" x 5' square stock went over a square tab on the vise and stuck out of the ground so we could put a pair of 36" wrenches. anybody know where we can get one of these. originally i believe the wrench was sold with a 6' two sided handle with a ratcheting piece in the middle for two men to use.
          thanks

ron
          i know it's a couple of years since you posted this. but i just found one and had to buy it since i don't already have one

joey asked what i'm going to do with it

i guess it will be in my collection of strange tools. if i ever need to get a nipple out from inside of a cabinet, i now have the super wrench

smorris, do you think this is of photo quality? i will post the wrench once i get it in my hands.

rick.
          Attached Files
          phoebe it is

Comment

Having done some underground gas tanks and used the udt, it was a great tool. Why doesn't Ridgid make it anymore?

The only thing close was a chain wrench with a socket attachment I owned. Don't remember the company, but I bought it through McMaster-Carr.Check their website.
            the dog

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post

smorris, do you think this is of photo quality?
              rick.
              Cool find! Kinda small photo. I'll have to find my magazine ad and scan it.
              Steve
              www.MorrisGarage.com

Comment

Can i get a better pic of the vise?

Comment

there is the vice, 2'' socket for the corporation stops and a hex socket adapter. the extension is a telescoping 2'' drive with the 6' wrench that ratchets. a monster of a tool.

rick.
                  phoebe it is

Comment

What is the large hex piece used for??

That is a different wrench for sure, never seen one.

G3

Comment

Working...
                    X