Pipe Freezing (on purpose)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pipe Freezing (on purpose)

Since we have been on the subject of frozen pipes, what is your preferrred method to freeze a pipe for the pupose of pipe repair... particularly water service mains?
    spodelee

Until lions have their own storytellers, stories of the hunt shall always glorify the hunter

Re: Pipe Freezing (on purpose)

I prefer Jet Swett system to freezing, but there's plenty of guys that like it.
    sigpic

Comment

Are they available over 2"?

They are not always the answer. For instance if you need to isolate a section of pipe but you don't want to cut into the line, a Jet Swett will not work for you.

We have some systems that purposefully do not have isolation valves so that they can not be turned off accidentally or oterwise. When repairs have to be made to the equipment they service and the common header can not be shut down the only way is to freeze the line and maintain it for a few hours (maybe 8 or more) while repairs are completed.
      "When we build let us think we build forever. Let it not be for present delight nor for present use alone. Let it be such work that our descendants will thank us for, and let us think, as we lay stone upon stone, that a time is to come when these stones will be held sacred because our hands have touched them, and that men will say, as they look upon the labor and wrought substance of them, "See! This our fathers did for us."
      John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

Comment

Excavator I do locates and camera for uses gas, I think nitrogen. Works well. Saw them repair a couple of ~2" soft copper lines they had yanked all twisty when they caught them with the hoe on the way to what they were after. Really was sweet. I can get you brand/model of what they use if you like.
        This is my reminder to myself that no good will ever come from discussing politics or religion with anyone, ever.

Comment

i freeze up to 2.5'' with my ridgid super freeze 2500

up to 4'' with co2 and freeze bags.

remember that running water will not freeze.

trying to freeze a main takes a lot of cooperation with the rest of the users

freezing an end of the line is easy. no flow, no problemo

rick.
          phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post

rick.
            Yup, we have the RIDGID Super Freeze and also do the CO2 thing for larger lines.
            "When we build let us think we build forever. Let it not be for present delight nor for present use alone. Let it be such work that our descendants will thank us for, and let us think, as we lay stone upon stone, that a time is to come when these stones will be held sacred because our hands have touched them, and that men will say, as they look upon the labor and wrought substance of them, "See! This our fathers did for us."
            John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

Comment

rick.
              I figure you have three Super Freeze units and will soon sell me one for $500 cuzz your a nice guy!
              spodelee

Until lions have their own storytellers, stories of the hunt shall always glorify the hunter

Comment

Originally posted by spodelee View Post
                I figure you have three Super Freeze units and will soon sell me one for $500 cuzz your a nice guy!
                you're correct. i have 3 super freeze units 1 -2000 and 2-2500

if i sold 1 to you, that only leaves me 1 for work and 1 to freeze my chocolate milkshake

i'll run it by the boss

rick.
                phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by Ace Sewer View Post
                  Excavator I do locates and camera for uses gas, I think nitrogen. Works well. Saw them repair a couple of ~2" soft copper lines they had yanked all twisty when they caught them with the hoe on the way to what they were after. Really was sweet. I can get you brand/model of what they use if you like.
                  Specifics would be great. Always nice to know exactly what works! Thanks!
                  spodelee

Comment

rick.
                    rick,

i used to think that until i helped fight a fire at a estimated -127 below with the wind (it was the most fridgid day in my life, so far).

we were taught to leave the fire hose nozzles cracked open when not in use to prevent freezing.

we ended up having to cut all of the lines off (2 1/2") the truck and a front end loader had to dig the truck out of the glacier that formed around it.

just a thought.

Vince

Comment

Originally posted by Bob D. View Post
                      Are they available over 2"?

They are not always the answer. For instance if you need to isolate a section of pipe but you don't want to cut into the line, a Jet Swett will not work for you.

We have some systems that purposefully do not have isolation valves so that they can not be turned off accidentally or oterwise. When repairs have to be made to the equipment they service and the common header can not be shut down the only way is to freeze the line and maintain it for a few hours (maybe 8 or more) while repairs are completed.
                      They go to 4". The bigger sizes have a flow through valve which allows you to hook up a hose and bleed pressure off.
                      Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Thanks for the input guys. Bought a 2500 Ridgid yesterday... we'll see how she works and go from there
                        spodelee

Comment

Working...
                        X