X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shower arm question

I was looking at a house in a tract home development in Southern California this weekend, and came across this. I have never seen it done like this before. How do you install the shower arm? If you solder on a FIP, won't it stick out of the wall? I always use a FIP drop ear 90. I thought that was how everybody did it.
    Attached Files

Re: Shower arm question

Oh yea, thats the new and improved way to do it. Just solder on a copper 45 in the line right where you want it, and presto, copper shower arm. Some people kill me!
    Distractions are everywhere, don't lose sight of your dream.

Comment

That looks like shite.
      West Trail Mechanical Ltd
      Service. Commitment. Expertise.

www.westtrailmechanical.ca

Comment

That is so wrong. Wonder were this guy learned this technique.
        Had to be done by someone with very little knowlege of plumbing.

The correct way (in my opinion) is done by using a copper riser with a drop ear ell soldered on and then atached to the structure.

Comment

That is the rough-in for the new slip-fit shower arms.

Mark
          "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Originally posted by Nevada plumber View Post
            I was looking at a house in a tract home development in Southern California
            Well there is your answer = tract ...

I used to rough those for 12 years man, The bosses just care about how fookin fast you could get in and out, there is no time for pride.

My old boss would make me do all the domestic water lines , basement to top floor in a 2.5 bath house by myself in one day.....and thats using copper NOT pex, I used to bend my heart out to save time....

So yea, tract housing plumbing is usually like that ...and with pex so cheap these days forget it, any idiot can plumb, just dont mean its right

ALTHOUGH there are still a few craftsman that plumb those nice, just have to find one.....
            Good lUck
            Help With Your Pool Or Spa Pump?►WeT HeaD Pump Repair ► Watch Me On YouTube: Pool & Spa Pump Repair TV
            New: Pump Repair MagazineNew: Pool & Spa Pump Repair Forums

Comment

Originally posted by ToUtahNow View Post

Mark
              I've got one somewhere a friend gave me. Sioux Chief I think.

J.C.

Comment

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
                I've got one somewhere a friend gave me. Sioux Chief I think.

J.C.
                Good call I had not thought of the Sioux Chief Shower WallNut, I was thinking more of the Pegasus slip-fit arm.

Mark

Comment

I did tract homes for the first 6 years in this business, me and my 2 helpers would knock out a 2.5 or 3.5 bath house in an 8-9 hour day. slab construction, with open trusses, and all pex, the only copper in the house was the risers from the water heater, and the drop on the valve for the tub spout. even the riser for the shower arm was pex, which, as long as the backer board is nailed in securely, and you use the proper screws, isn't a bad thing. Once the sheetrock goes up no one knows it isn't copper but you, and it saves the company a little cash.
                  No, it's not rocket science, it's plumbing and unlike rocket science it requires a license.

Comment

Originally posted by MoJourneyman View Post
                    I did tract homes for the first 6 years in this business, me and my 2 helpers would knock out a 2.5 or 3.5 bath house in an 8-9 hour day. slab construction, with open trusses, and all pex, the only copper in the house was the risers from the water heater, and the drop on the valve for the tub spout. even the riser for the shower arm was pex, which, as long as the backer board is nailed in securely, and you use the proper screws, isn't a bad thing. Once the sheetrock goes up no one knows it isn't copper but you, and it saves the company a little cash.
                    I was under the impression that you arent supposed to use pex for shower arms at all. I wouldn't know, ive only ever done them in cop.
                    West Trail Mechanical Ltd
                    Service. Commitment. Expertise.

www.westtrailmechanical.ca

Comment

Originally posted by ToUtahNow View Post

Mark
                      These are new to me I have never seen nor heard of a slip-fit shower arm. Never stop learning, huh.

Comment

Originally posted by bigPipe09 View Post
                        I was under the impression that you arent supposed to use pex for shower arms at all. I wouldn't know, ive only ever done them in cop.

I think the concern with it is the way pex restricts the flow, if you're running the tub spout you will get a trickle of water out of the shower head.

those tract homes all had generic delta valves put in, the passage ways to the spout and shower head inside the valves are considerably smaller than a half inch, so it was never a problem.
                        No, it's not rocket science, it's plumbing and unlike rocket science it requires a license.

Comment

I had the bulletin from a supplier at one time. It was from Delta saying that the tub drop was not to be in PEX as that would cause the shower head backup & trickle.

PEX risers have not been a problem to my knowledge. But listening.

J.C.

Comment

Originally posted by plumbertim1975 View Post
                            These are new to me I have never seen nor heard of a slip-fit shower arm. Never stop learning, huh.
                            Here is a link to one online.

http://www.thebathroomdepot.com/bath...roductid=17729

Mark

Comment

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
                              I had the bulletin from a supplier at one time. It was from Delta saying that the tub drop was not to be in PEX as that would cause the shower head backup & trickle.

PEX risers have not been a problem to my knowledge. But listening.

J.C.
                              wait... yeah, you have the right of it.. i'll just go back to my beer.

Comment

Working...
                              X