X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nasty plumbing

The thread on kitchen sinks got me to thinking about foul plumbing situations in general. My two favorites:
    1) We were trenching (with a real trencher, as it was over thirty years ago) for a sewer line inside the foundation of a new warehouse when the machine hit a plastic bag. Inside the bag, to our disgust, was the decomposed body of a dog. Of course, the guy who owned and ran the trencher was beside himself due to the god offal stinky mess that clung to every inch of his machine. It was hilarious until I , being the junior man on the job, had to get down into the hole and clean out the trench. The stench was literally breath taking. My gag mechanism, which I didn't even know I had, worked immediately upon taking in the least whiff of odor emanating from what was left of the carcass. I was sure glad when we got that pipe in and covered.
    2) Tying into a sewer main in an alley behind a row of commercial buildings, I had to climb down into the immediately upstream manhole and put a plug into the line so we could make our cut with as little mess as possible. Unfortunately, the Chinese restaurant adjacent and a little upstream from the manhole didn't have a grease interceptor. It was like climbing into a giant jar of Crisco. By the time I climbed out of the hole I was ready for the oven and the two plumbers who witnessed the show laughing so hard it's a miracle they didn't fall into the manhole themselves. Thank god that was before cell phone cameras.

Re: Nasty plumbing

Well I cannot top that! (Thank you Jesus!) But while I was in The Air Force we were cleaning out the grease trap at one of the base mess halls and we had a guy fall in!
    No one would drive him back to the shop so we finally called him a base taxi (small pick up truck).Down side is that when we got back back to the shop it smell like greasepuke.
    This was *a* friday so we were forced to had our "friday meeting" outside.(At exactly beer thirty)
    The poor guy only was up to his neck when he fell in because the hard pack of grease on the bottom of the trap was *only* 16" thick.

Comment

Ive had sink area odor problem call from fast food restaurant. There was about 5" gap filled w/ sludge and all kinds of maggots under that slab. Dont know exactly how they got there, but the section of that 2" line was replaced once before and the floor patch was not done nicely thereafter.
      Attached Files

Comment

In my area there are a lot of houses that are on septic tanks that have to be tied to sewers before they can be sold. In this instance you have to cave in the septic tank and fill hole with gravel. I was a helper at the time i witnessed this. We had uncovered the tank and removed the lid, had gravel ready in a pile next to tank, and the plumber was on top of the pile guiding the pump truck in to get the tank pumped. I guess you know now where this is going. I couldn't hardly help the poor guy who was up to his neck in raw sewage due to gagging. To this day the mental pic makes me want to vomit. FYI - don't pile your gravel right next to tank, you can loose your footing!!!!!!

Comment

i was working at a restraunt.. pop a drop ceiling tile to turn a isolation valve off.. The drop ceiling was 2" thick of rat feces in the process of turning the gate valve a very large rat jumped on my arm using it as a path to scurry up a heating duct.. you bet i called the heath dept when i left for sure.

Comment

"i" got the work order to install a new sewage truck dump hose in a old lift station here back in the early '90's. the drivers kept breaking the female camloc fittings on the hose used for......the BIG dump.

i installed a 6" HDPE insulated pipe as a hose chase for the 3" (mostly frozen) flexable receiver hose. i had to go in the 2' high sh!t pit (3 mains dumping inches from my head) and install a angle iron bracket to support the weight of the hose chase.

in order to sercure it properly, i used a RIDGIDtm hammer drill so i could attach the angle iron with anchors into the old (no disrespect intended), hard, 1950's concrete.

back in those days the drills were pretty heavy, so there's me, using this heavy RIDGIDtm hammer drill, with raw rankin inlet sewage (in all of it's grey/brown glory) splashing away mere inches from my head. i'm working hard because i'm, Vince the Plumber and i'm starting to breath hard and i did the stupid mistake of opening my mouth to get more air.

1 drop!! right....on....my....tongue!!

i started spitting. but you all know it's too late.

I might as well have gone around and licked everybody's
            greasy a$$e$ and drink their KS waste!!

YUK!! HACK!! SPIT!! spit!!! spit!!!! you know that sound you make when you wanna hork up a big oyster? yeah,.......that one.

i pretty much got in the truck and drove to the health centre and saw a nurse. i told her what happened and she checked my health records and saw that i was up to date on my tetanus shots and didn't really look too concerned.

so i asked her what was going to happen. she calmly said, "we'll find out in 3 days won't we?

she explained to me that because of the perma-frost up here that there was a very "unlikely" chance any virus or bug could survive the trip down rankin's sewer mains. well, that made me feel a lot better.

Vince

i've learnt many things in life, and the most important lesson i've ever learned (i'm sure many of you will agree), is sometimes you just got to keep your big mouth shut

(not even tongue sticking out)

i spit for a week after that one

i wonder if that's why my breath always stinks like a seal's bum
            Last edited by Vince the Plumber; 12-16-2008, 08:55 AM.

Comment

vince, i wasn't so lucky when i had a drop or 2 when i was jetting years ago
              phoebe it is

Comment

Rick, That got me thinking about what exactly is the sick that is caused by that?

How is the body affected... I keep my HEP A and B shots current.

What did the Doc say was wrong with you when tht happened Rick and what was the treatment?

It may be to gross to say but I will....

Sometimes after a bad sewer job I have noticed that I smell (when I go...) like the sewer I cleaned a few days before? Anyone else notice this or am I just nuts...lol

The health part of our job has always concerned me...

Okie
                Last edited by OkieBill; 12-16-2008, 12:12 PM. Reason: may be nuts but I gotta ask:-)

Comment

bill this happened about 7 years ago. before i had the hep a and b shots.

fortunatly one of my best friends is a g.i. doctor.

unfortunatly he now knows me a hole lot better than before i got sick.

i was on 2 different medicines and lost about 20# in the 3 weeks i was sick.

i wear gloves and keep my mouth shut now

i'm still paying him back. i'm picking up his son from the airport tonight.

has nothing to do with the fact that home depot and in-n-out burger is on the way while i wait for his plane

rick.
                  phoebe it is

Comment

Thanks Rick,

It has been 20 years since I have had an In-n-out Burger! Double Double with cheese for the win!!!

The sick part has always made me wonder, I have been lucky so far (knock wood) and not had a big sick yet...

Okie

Comment

The rat droppings reminded me of another experience. I was working in a poorly lit (drop light) 3' chase between floors of the press box at the local football stadium roughing in a wc when I noticed a strange looking pile about 6" to my left. After redirecting the light, I immediately scooted back with a knee jerk reaction. There in front of me lay aprox. 1 cu ft of sh*t. Recovering, I noticed it's dryness, like it had been there for some time. Immediate thoughts of some weirdo crawling down here to do his business raced across my mind. After a little pondering, I realized I was off base and that I'd stumbled onto a raccoon latrine. In a matter of 20 seconds I went from disgust to (as it turned out, an unfounded) concern that I might soon have a yellow eyed visitor.

Comment

Originally posted by OkieBill View Post
                        Rick, That got me thinking about what exactly is the sick that is caused by that?

How is the body affected... I keep my HEP A and B shots current.

What did the Doc say was wrong with you when tht happened Rick and what was the treatment?

It may be to gross to say but I will....

Sometimes after a bad sewer job I have noticed that I smell (when I go...) like the sewer I cleaned a few days before? Anyone else notice this or am I just nuts...lol

The health part of our job has always concerned me...

Okie

I have noticed that. I've always wondered if it's some kind of Post traumatic stress thing or it actually smells similar.
                        INSIGHT PIPE is now Maine Drain Serving most of ME with no charge for travel! 207-431-6232 is nolonger a working # our NEW # is 207-355-1476
                        Sewer main snaking (roto rooting). Sink clogs. Sewer backup. Pipe inspection/locating. No Dig trenchless repair. Root clog removal.We are NOT to replace your local Plumber, as we do not do plumbing. WE ARE YOUR DRAIN CLEANING EXPERTS!!! www.sewermaine.com waterville winslow bangor augusta skowhegan fairfield pittsfield oakland

Comment

Watch out! 80% of Raccon in the USA carry a worm in their feces that is deadly if ingested, even from the air... check it out on the internet! Just the other week I read a story about a 2 year old kid dying of this.

Comment

Reading this thread has me wanting to see a doctor soon. In the day-to-day grind, sometimes we forget how dangerously unsanitary our job really is.
                            Water Heater Reviews & Water Heater Information

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                              vince, i wasn't so lucky when i had a drop or 2 when i was jetting years ago
                              rick,

i for one am happy that you survived the nasty.

this forum would not be what it is inpart due to you.

Vince

Comment

Working...
                              X