check values

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• check values

periodically I have sewer backup into my cellar from the city sewer system. I have the cap off my feed to the main, because when I didn't and I emptied my bath , the water would overflow my first floor toilet and go into my living room. The city scoped the main sewer lines and said there were roots in the system. Instead of fixing the problem they just reamed it out. They also told me I should put in a check value to prevent the backup. If I do , won't I still have the problem of "my waste" not getting to the sewer and backing up in my house. Also wouldn't it cause my neighboors to get their waste backing up into their homes when the main is clogged, while now it just flows out my feed into my cellar. I'm now getting backup due to others problems in the main, any ideas that would benefit both me and my neighboors?
    thanks Steve

Originally posted by sromes2:
    periodically I have sewer backup into my cellar from the city sewer system. I have the cap off my feed to the main, because when I didn't and I emptied my bath , the water would overflow my first floor toilet and go into my living room. The city scoped the main sewer lines and said there were roots in the system. Instead of fixing the problem they just reamed it out. They also told me I should put in a check value to prevent the backup. If I do , won't I still have the problem of "my waste" not getting to the sewer and backing up in my house. Also wouldn't it cause my neighboors to get their waste backing up into their homes when the main is clogged, while now it just flows out my feed into my cellar. I'm now getting backup due to others problems in the main, any ideas that would benefit both me and my neighboors?
    thanks Steve
    You can install a backwater-valve (which is a check valve for sewer systems), but this is not a solution. They are required under the Uniform Plumbibg Code (the code we work under in California) if your sewer tie-in is below the nearest manhole. This is designed to protect you on occasional back-ups in the city sewer.

If this is a constant problem, this won't help, because sewage back-up will prevent your sewer from draining regardless of a back-water valve.

I would suggest having a competent plumber checking out your sewer and drain system to determine that it is not your system that is the problem. If it is not, you need to bust some *** on your sewer juristiction. Make sure it is not your system.

If it is not, and you get no action from your sewer juistiction, contact the local health department.

the dog
    the dog

Comment

the dog is right on on this one.
      it's very common to have roots in both your sewer and in the city main. as long as the city stays on top of the root problem you're fine. problem is that lots of cities don't do preventative cleaning until it's too late. i've been to many city sewer issues, including a handfull in a wealty city (beverly hills). just goes to show you that even the rich have issues.
      if you put the city on notice that they have a root problem, they should be able to stay on top of it. as the dog said, a back water valve (check valve) will prevent the city main from dumping into your lower level basement. also a back water valve can only serve the fixtures that are below curb level. so to properly install a backwater valve would require to locate the lower level line and cut in a backwater valve. also you need to have an access cover to allow for servicing and cleaning. also you don't snake through a valve. you should install a cleanout in front of the back water valve.
      by rights, the city should maintain their sewer system. it's not common for the city to back up once they are made aware of the issue.

rick.

Comment

Working...
      X