Roots in new sewer saddle

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Roots in new sewer saddle

a long time customer of mine had their sewer line replaced from the sidewalk to the city connection in the middle of the street.

from what i remember from the job, the sewer contractor tapped the main and saddled a new wye.

so today i go to snake the main and find that the line is plugged in the street with roots. this line is only 3 years old and is 6'' clay. the entire line is buried in slurry and paved over in the street.

owner and i were very surprised at the findings. he's looking for the original contract. in the mean time i would think that there is a 10 year warranty.

rick.
    phoebe it is

Re: Roots in new sewer saddle

I did not even think they were still using clay pipe!! Maybe that is just around here, have never seen it being installed in the last 20-25 years anyway or just never noticed (but I am pretty nosey). Well one exception was an acid drain line in a govt. facility.

G3

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post

owner and i were very surprised at the findings. he's looking for the original contract. in the mean time i would think that there is a 10 year warranty.

rick.
      Around here most (if not all) contractors own it for a year, after that they are free and clear.
      INSIGHT PIPE is now Maine Drain Serving most of ME with no charge for travel! 207-431-6232 is nolonger a working # our NEW # is 207-355-1476
      Sewer main snaking (roto rooting). Sink clogs. Sewer backup. Pipe inspection/locating. No Dig trenchless repair. Root clog removal.We are NOT to replace your local Plumber, as we do not do plumbing. WE ARE YOUR DRAIN CLEANING EXPERTS!!! www.sewermaine.com waterville winslow bangor augusta skowhegan fairfield pittsfield oakland

Comment

a long time customer of mine had their sewer line replaced from the sidewalk to the city connection in the middle of the street.

from what i remember from the job, the sewer contractor tapped the main and saddled a new wye.

so today i go to snake the main and find that the line is plugged in the street with roots. this line is only 3 years old and is 6'' clay. the entire line is buried in slurry and paved over in the street.

rick.
        Is 10 years common in your area? was this a k-60 k.o.?
        Kenneth Collier
        Maintenance and Sewer

P.O. Box 9441
        Jackson, MS 39206
        (601) 613-2678 (Cell)
        drainman881999@yahoo.com

Comment

unless it's written into the contract differently, 10 years is pretty standard for piping that's buried in walls, floors, ground.
          more so in new construction.

i'm hoping mark will chime in.

rick.

still waiting for the owner to find the original contract.
          phoebe it is

Comment

I am under the impression that generally it's 3 years on product,10 years on workmanship.

Don't matter to me.As far as I'm concerned,if someone wants to invest the resources to screw with you they will.

Comment

unless it's written into the contract differently, 10 years is pretty standard for piping that's buried in walls, floors, ground.
              more so in new construction.

i'm hoping mark will chime in.

rick.

still waiting for the owner to find the original contract.
              You are talking about the statute of limitation which is different than a guarantee. In other words your guarantee could be long over but you could still be sued for your defective work or materials.

Mark
              "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

New home construction if CA carries a 10 year implied warranty. You are required to pursue settlement through arbitration before you are allowed to file suit.

In any event, the lawyers on both sides get new beemers out of the deal. You will be out 5 figures hiring forensic construction engineers to document your case. When the case finally settles, the lawyer gets 35% so you don't really have enough money left to pay for the repair!

Good luck. Don't expect your contractor to just roll over and say "Oh, you want me to dig up that line I put in 6 years ago? No problem, be right over" !!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by lovetheUSA View Post
                  New home construction if CA carries a 10 year implied warranty. You are required to pursue settlement through arbitration before you are allowed to file suit.

In any event, the lawyers on both sides get new beemers out of the deal. You will be out 5 figures hiring forensic construction engineers to document your case. When the case finally settles, the lawyer gets 35% so you don't really have enough money left to pay for the repair!

Good luck. Don't expect your contractor to just roll over and say "Oh, you want me to dig up that line I put in 6 years ago? No problem, be right over" !!!!!!!!!!
                  And after all that work theres a good chance you will find they "own" nothing, but their brother, sister, aunt and cousin sure seem to "own" a lot of stuff that they just let him "borrow".
                  INSIGHT PIPE is now Maine Drain Serving most of ME with no charge for travel! 207-431-6232 is nolonger a working # our NEW # is 207-355-1476
                  Sewer main snaking (roto rooting). Sink clogs. Sewer backup. Pipe inspection/locating. No Dig trenchless repair. Root clog removal.We are NOT to replace your local Plumber, as we do not do plumbing. WE ARE YOUR DRAIN CLEANING EXPERTS!!! www.sewermaine.com waterville winslow bangor augusta skowhegan fairfield pittsfield oakland

Comment

Originally posted by Gene Bickford View Post
                    And after all that work theres a good chance you will find they "own" nothing, but their brother, sister, aunt and cousin sure seem to "own" a lot of stuff that they just let him "borrow".
                    Out here if they are working in the street they are licensed and insured.

Mark
                    "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Rick
                      I'm a bit confused as to who owns the section of pipe in question. In all the sewer districts in Northern Calif. that I'm familiar with, the lateral from the main to the property line clean out belongs to the sewer district, with the district taking ownership of a new lateral upon their approval of the work done. That's why when we get a whole house stoppage call from an HO we direct them to contact the sewer district and ask to have the lateral checked. If it's clogged, the district will clear the clog or otherwise fix the problem, on their dime. Maybe things are different in Southern Calif.

Comment

In Toronto, Canada the homeowner is responsible for the sewer line up to the property line (which in most cases is on the front lawn 5 - 10 feet from the sidewalk). In any event anything under the sidewalk and certainly under the street is the city's problem.... The city owns and maintains it. Roots, cracks, block, etc...all the city's problem on their property. The home owner here has NOTHING to do with the wye in the sewer main.

Comment

unfortunately, we are responsible for the lateral into the street. typically it tends to be in the middle of the street.

technically the saddle, wye is the cities, but good luck getting them to fix it or clean it.

the sewer contractor that did this work is a very well established company here.

haven't heard from the customer yet if they found their contract yet.

rick.
                          phoebe it is

Comment

Working...
                          X