Old school?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Old school?

The original "old school" putty's have oils in them that can leach into or stain some stone products. There are new "no stain" stone safe putty's.

Corian recommends using silicone saying that all puttys could cause fissures in their product. Just reporting what's reported to me.

I've hit a rash of basket strainers that seem to loosen after a while no matter how much you crank it when using putty. And some others that the mounting nut can't take the pressure anyway and will pop out of the threads if you put much pressure on it. More than one brand too.

Starting to steer a putty man towards silicone.

No problem removing on a kitchen sink. Just put the torch on it first with a little common sense.

J.C.
    Last edited by BobsPlumbing; 12-22-2008, 09:20 PM.

Comment

This is what I use on sensitive surfaces:

Comment

Originally posted by Plumbus View Post
        This is what I use on sensitive surfaces:

Many thanks!

Comment

I always use putty on strainers.

But faucets? I was trained to use putty on faucets, but that was back when we had to shoo the dinosaurs out of the kitchen so we could work. I long ago abandoned putty for silicone.

For one thing, those plastic plates under many faucets tend to dissolve from the oil in putty. Of course, you wouldn't use it on marble sinks.

I stay away from Hudee rims these days, too!

Comment

Silicone is the best, especially the expensive type. Don't buy the cheap type, for a buck more a tube it's worth it.

Comment

Yes silicon is the greatest thing since sliced bread for sealing faucets and plug and washers, for guttering angles and all those roof leaks, it even holds ones overalls together and when you get it on hands and all over your tools it gives you that warm inner feeling yes silicone I could ramble on forever God bless the person or persons who invented it.

Tony

Comment

Working...
              X