X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Old school?

I recently replaced a kitchen faucet and bedded it with good old plumber’s putty from a container purchased 25-30 years ago.

While not a plumber, I grew with several relatives who were in the trade.

My question: Is plumber’s putty passé? Are there better, more hi-tech products to use these days?

----Mike

Re: Old school?

Nope

Comment

most of the higher end faucets now come with a sealing gasket or o-ring that is used instead.

that putty of your's was still pliable after 25-30 years

rick.
      phoebe it is

Comment

Not sure if this faucet was "higher-end" or not as my wife selected it and I didn't see the receipt.

The base has a plastic gasket, but instructions indicated use plumber's putty or other "bedding material".

Can of putty was new, unopened. "Hercules" brand. It may be even older than 25-30 years.

Appreciate the replies guys.
        Happy Holidays

----Mike

Comment

After all these years putty still carries it's weight.

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
            most of the higher end faucets now come with a sealing gasket or o-ring that is used instead.

that putty of your's was still pliable after 25-30 years

rick.
            Thats what I was thinking , Must have has a good area that was dry, like the ocean
            Help With Your Pool Or Spa Pump?►WeT HeaD Pump Repair ► Watch Me On YouTube: Pool & Spa Pump Repair TV
            New: Pump Repair MagazineNew: Pool & Spa Pump Repair Forums

Comment

I have taken all my putty and pitched it. I am so tired of shower and sink strainers leaking in time that I use 100% siicone on all of it.Have never had a leak since...Only downfall....trying to get that strainer off a ss sink if there is a problem, you just about have to stand on it...Mark

Comment

The company I work for uses silicone mostly in place of Plumbers Putty. But as was said, it's a PITA to service if needed.

Comment

I never use silicone. Plumbers putty is my personal choice. Nice eagle pictures by the way.
                  sigpic

Comment

I have never had properly installed fixture leak using putty.Please stop using silicone.It has it's place on very few occasions,I use it myself.Not on every install,especially something like a basket strainer where I have never used it.When the garbage disposer goes bad in a few years it has unnecesarily made a lot of work for the next guy.

Hey...Just a thought...Lets do away with pipe dope and start using silicone there too.

Comment

would not be using silicone for anything connected to potable water, some silicones can leach into the water system.

Comment

Putty vs. silicone? How bout that. Who started this? As a service plumber there is nothing worse than dealing with a strainer or, even worse, a toilet nailed down with silicone. Not good when using a flat rate system. Speaking of flat rate, I think it's much better than hourly.

Comment

So what does Plumbers putty do to natural / cultured stone anyway?

I had a talk with a Granite countertop installer the other day but all he could say was don 't use it but not why...

Some type of chemical reaction would be my guess

I don't use it on stone only because I was taught not to...

Okie

Comment

Originally posted by bacskcah View Post
                            Putty vs. silicone? How bout that. Who started this? As a service plumber there is nothing worse than dealing with a strainer or, even worse, a toilet nailed down with silicone. Not good when using a flat rate system. Speaking of flat rate, I think it's much better than hourly.
                            Devil Spawn!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by OkieBill View Post
                              So what does Plumbers putty do to natural / cultured stone anyway?

I had a talk with a Granite countertop installer the other day but all he could say was don 't use it but not why...

Some type of chemical reaction would be my guess

I don't use it on stone only because I was taught not to...

Okie
                              I've never seen it Bill.
                              I wonder if it has a discoloration like that oily rainbow reflection,similar to oil on water.

Comment

Working...
                              X