X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• floor drain smelling

About 6-7 years ago I was having a plumber redo the pipes in the basement (split level) and the floor drain started smelling, because of our high altitude and dryness he said it dries out and allows the smell, I can't remember if we put something in it or he did, but it hasn't smelled for 5-6 years...now it is smelling again, water works but only for a few days until it evaporates, we tried antifreeze and it is smelling again....what can I put in there that will not evaporate and keep the smell down?? Thanks for your help in advance
    \"Aarrgh, sliver me timbers\"<br /><a href=\"http://www.picturetrail.com/daviddunlap\" target=\"_blank\">www.picturetrail.com/daviddunlap</a>

Originally posted by hi ho sliver:
    About 6-7 years ago I was having a plumber redo the pipes in the basement (split level) and the floor drain started smelling, because of our high altitude and dryness he said it dries out and allows the smell, I can't remember if we put something in it or he did, but it hasn't smelled for 5-6 years...now it is smelling again, water works but only for a few days until it evaporates, we tried antifreeze and it is smelling again....what can I put in there that will not evaporate and keep the smell down?? Thanks for your help in advance

Comment

Pour a cup full of oil into the floor drain. This will prevent the water from evaporating so quickly.

Regards,

Jim Williams

Comment

Originally posted by jimw1111:
        Pour a cup full of oil into the floor drain. This will prevent the water from evaporating so quickly.

Regards,

Jim Williams
        [What kind of oil? and thanks for your response.]
        \"Aarrgh, sliver me timbers\"<br /><a href=\"http://www.picturetrail.com/daviddunlap\" target=\"_blank\">www.picturetrail.com/daviddunlap</a>

Comment

Mineral oil works very nicely

Comment

Working...
          X