X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Toilet Repair-American Standard lift valve

For the newbies. Toilet runs, need to replace the donut at the bottom of the lift valve.

Carefully move the fill tube,
    carefully pull off the rubber guard

Unscrew the top stop

Pull the valve straight up and off the spindle
    (I can't imagine why this one leaked)

Replace with new rubber gasket

Put it all back in reverse. Do not put grease on the top stop as it will cause the tower to stick up. Put a new washer and seat and cup in the Wolverine ballcock if necessary.
    "Man will do many things to get himself loved, he will do all things to get himself envied." Mark Twain

Re: Toilet Repair-American Standard lift valve

that flush valve is 50+ years old. i still have the parts for them, but haven't needed them for at least 5 years.

out here, all toilets need to be low flow upon the sale of a property or on remodels, construction.

even much more modern toilets are fading away and parts are becoming antiquated.

we haven't had anything but 1.6gpf since 1990.

now i'm seeing dual flush toto's .9 and 1.6 or 1.25

rick.
    phoebe it is

Comment

Thank-You Tim.I'm sure someone,maybe myself(I've made a hard copy) will use this information and it will be a great help,

Comment

Now thats a true service plumber! It would have been easy to say I can't get parts you need a new toilet. Sheesh that is easy to say, I must have a lot pf practice

Comment

Originally posted by saysflushable View Post
          Now thats a true service plumber! It would have been easy to say I can't get parts you need a new toilet. Sheesh that is easy to say, I must have a lot pf practice

Me three!

I'd tell them upfront you're paying for my trip to the plumbing supply house which in turn with my charges add up for half the price of the toilet.

If it's special colored toilet to match the tub and lavatory, they'll spend it to keep it.
          Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

I have never seen one like that before, and I felt I saw it all. Mark

Comment

For awhile we used to carry the seal for that flush valve as a commonly stocked item on our trucks but after seeing so few of them being used we moved it to our warehouse so they would not get so banged up. The reason this particular flush valve was discontinued was because it was made too well. It would go 20 years or more sometimes before you would have your first problem. American Standard did not like that so out the door it went. Some of you might remember that Sloan diaphragms also used to last 10 times longer than they now do.

Comment

Working...
              X