Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mayor approves 1.9 billion Hetch hetchy project

I'm guessing some of our members will work on this Bay area project
    I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Re: Mayor approves 1.9 billion Hetch hetchy project

I have a friend who is a small wholesaler in SF. He's gone through the paperwork to qualify as a LBE (local business enterprise) so that he can bid on projects like Hetch Hetchy. All SF city projects have to have a certain minimum participation by registered LBE's, whether as contractors or suppliers, so a non LBE contractor's purchases from his firm qualify against the minimum. Also, on any project he bids directly to the city, he's allowed a 10% cushion over non LBEs. Sounds fishy on the surface, but it's actually a way to guarantee that at least a portion of city expenditures stay in the local economy.

Comment

Thats' great info! I'm leaving with My back hoe Fri,over the road lites flashin
      I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

There is no reason why a local company should need a 10% cushion in order to win a bid or supply material. If they can't win the bid fair and square they don't deserve any special treatment. These types of rules many times can cause unqualified contractors and suppliers to be awarded bids that they end up not being able to complete and eventually costing the taxpayer even more money in the long run. I've never understood the logic behind giving a minority owned or locally owned business an extra 10% advantage simply because they happen to be local or a minority.
        ================================================== ====
        ~~Don't worry about old age; it doesn't last that long.

Comment

Originally posted by BadgerDave View Post
          I've never understood the logic behind giving a minority owned or locally owned business an extra 10% advantage simply because they happen to be local or a minority.
          It makes everyone "feel" good.

Comment

BadgerDave
            The Fergusons, Walmarts and mega construction firms of the world may agree with you. But, it the public sector, under the scrutiny of the local Fourth Estate, wishes to spend locally, I say, "more power to them".

Comment

Originally posted by Plumbus View Post
              BadgerDave
              The Fergusons, Walmarts and mega construction firms of the world may agree with you. But, it the public sector, under the scrutiny of the local Fourth Estate, wishes to spend locally, I say, "more power to them".
              Then I suppose I can assume with that "more power to them" attitude you'll have no complaints when the local Forth Estate starts mandating exactly how much per hour you must pay your employees and how many paid sick days you also must provide them. After all, as NorthernIllinoisPlumber stated, that would also make everyone "feel" good.
              ================================================== ====
              ~~Don't worry about old age; it doesn't last that long.

Comment

Originally posted by BadgerDave View Post
                Then I suppose I can assume with that "more power to them" attitude you'll have no complaints when the local Forth Estate starts mandating exactly how much per hour you must pay your employees and how many paid sick days you also must provide them. After all, as NorthernIllinoisPlumber stated, that would also make everyone "feel" good.
                Can you give me a domestic example of the media "mandating" wages and/or work conditions, public or private?
                Journalists serve the commonwealth best when they keep us informed of things like public works set asides, so that the electorate can express it's pleasure at the voting booth.
                Plus, in San Francisco's case, there have been a number of public meetings geared to stir up local interest in participating in public works projects, Hetch-Hetchy included.
                The only group trying to dictate wages, etc. to me is my local Fifth Estate (eg. plumbers union). And, I don't think they have interest, nor (from my point of view) need, in outside help to further their cause.
                Last edited by Plumbus; 12-25-2008, 02:30 PM.

Comment

Working...
                X