Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It just goes to show ya...

That NOTHING is a sure bet. Case in point:

Our old neighbor referred me to her parents for some plumbing. I did some legwork, on sight work, and the last I heard was...when I get back in town, we will have you back to rod the sewer line, camera, and finish the wall hung sink in the bath.

Today I get a card, $30 for gas and my time (per our deal I am told) and told that my competitor rodded the sewer, camera'd the line, and installed the new wall hung sink.

This all occurred a couple months ago without me giving it a thought as time went by. This was not a huge priority for them, and there were periods where they would be gone away. I never had a doubt that they would call someone else to do the work, after all, I was their daughters trusty neighbor.

According to my records, I am out about two hours labor, and very insulted. I think I might send the money back.

What a slap in the face....Merry Christmas.

Re: It just goes to show ya...

This is why I have a charge just to drive out to a house, and then when I arrive I quote a price before I even pick up a tool. The same rule applies to neighbors too, no exceptions.
    Also I have a C.O.D. policy, I get paid every time I go out on a job, except for a few existing clients and commercial accounts which get billed.
    Last edited by Service Guy; 12-26-2008, 04:27 PM.
    Water Heater Reviews & Water Heater Information

Comment

That's not cool. He needs punched in the sack.
      Anyone can tear a man down, few can build one up.

Comment

I try and avoid dealing with friends/neighbors on business because of this very example. Once you make friends with someone, all your negotiating/closing power goes out the window.......

I had a friend waste my time on something this summer, and sure I'm pissed off. Then again, I'm pissed off at myself more for getting involved in the first place. Sometimes, just let sleeping dogs/jobs lie.
        I'm on "The List" and I love it!!

Comment

Originally posted by Service Guy View Post
          This is why I have a charge just to drive out to a house, and then when I arrive I quote a price before I even pick up a tool. The same rule applies to neighbors too, no exceptions.
          Also I have a C.O.D. policy, I get paid every time I go out on a job, except for a few existing clients and commercial accounts which get billed.
          OR as WE say here in New Yawk

"The Nice Guy Always Finishes Last"

I just made a mistake just like this and agreed to help a neighbor remove Abestos, " We will take care of you"......Guess what././////////
          Help With Your Pool Or Spa Pump?►WeT HeaD Pump Repair ► Watch Me On YouTube: Pool & Spa Pump Repair TV
          New: Pump Repair MagazineNew: Pool & Spa Pump Repair Forums

Comment

Send it back, with an extra fin, with a note " Thanks for the lesson". If they don't try to rectify the problem, then they knew what they were doing.
            Mike

Comment

Ahhhhhh, take the money and run. The world is filled with schmucks, let it go grasshopper......
              sigpic

Comment

People suck

Comment

Chat with your old neighbor, keep it nice, there is little that can be done at this time but if you present this in just the right way you may just be surprised.

Comment

Originally posted by Service Guy View Post
                    Good advice!

Another option is to apply the diagnostic fee to the repair if they approve your recommended repair. In any case, always go home with the diagnostic fee either in the form of a diagnosis without approval or in the form of a deposit for repair to be scheduled. It's amazing how the price shopping stops when they have committed in writing and also committed even a small amount of money.

One more tactic - if there is more than one in the company, play good cop bad cop by having the person that doesn't have the connection respond to the call.
                    spodelee

Until lions have their own storytellers, stories of the hunt shall always glorify the hunter

Comment

ahhh just keep the 30 bucks, buy a case of beer with it, keep your mouth shut, and DON'T EVER DO THAT AGAIN!

Comment

Originally posted by Chemeng View Post
                        DON'T EVER DO THAT AGAIN!
                        Agreed
                        Help With Your Pool Or Spa Pump?►WeT HeaD Pump Repair ► Watch Me On YouTube: Pool & Spa Pump Repair TV
                        New: Pump Repair MagazineNew: Pool & Spa Pump Repair Forums

Comment

Hold their Guinea pig hostage, demand ransom.

I've had this happen before and you never get that customer back.

I would send the money to the daughter that referred you, tell her to find another plumber.

I knocked out an entire chain of paying customers because the daughter they referred me to was a complete idiot, was wasting my time and making me do double work. She went over my head one time and that was enough to throw the brakes on the situation.

Here it is:

She had 2 Grohe Ladylux faucets, told her I could fix them, even though she had 2 POS Moens in a box waiting to be installed. I told her the Grohe faucets are by far a better product and they'll have those simple parts to fix the problem. She says okay and I go through the routine of contacting the only supplier of parts, go online and spend 20 minutes locating these parts and start the cycle.

I call her and tell her that they've been located, and when I come over at my appointed time I'll give the name and number, the information you need to make this purchase and have the parts there for the next time I come over to rework them.

This woman after I told her I located parts, goes to that same supply house and talks to somebody with not a clue, spent a half hour there and comes back angry at me that she went there and told her parts are not available. ????

I call that guy back, explain the situation and said nobody talked to him specifically about it, but said everything I discussed with him hasn't changed and he can still get the parts.

This, pissed me off royal, and the day I was supposed to arrive, I called and told her I was running late and she had the nerve, the effing nerve to give me **** that I was taking up part of her day? After the time wasted to save her over $580 between 2 faucets and the labor time?

I made it half way there, said to hell with this, went and dropped off a letter at her mom's house stating her daughter needs to find another plumber.

Well this kicked off the hail mary pass to save the day with me, the mother first sided with me, the second time she called crying on the answering machine asking for me to change my mind.

IM A PLUMBER FFS! NOT YOUR LONG LOST LOVER!!! Crying over a plumber? Please.

These people loved me as a plumber, I was johnny on the spot for everything I did for them and a few times didn't charge overtime/emergency charges *idiot me*.

Their daughter trying to walk all over me drove the nail in the coffin that IF you screw with a good thing, you'll lose it for good and that's just what I did.

Probably 6 groups of people involved, they were all a good distance from my shop and I felt good about doing this, understanding that in the average of all the calls I've done, I was cutting my throat for what? No reason and these people were known for pacifying me and my talent. When I would give them rates for additional work to be done before it came about, they always shyed away from those instances, just praised me every time I was there when the unexpected calls came about.

Absolutely no regrets and I promise there was no one to replace me that cared that much. Toodles to your mistake thinking your daughter had half a brain.

I love my repeat customers, but I like the random experiences, not numerous problems all at once because they spend a great deal and start to expect discounts. Not my problem your plumbing is falling apart.

It feels good to say no, especially if there's any indication that they expect the world for your time.

One guy in particular, started sending me all kinds of calls including his family members just so he could get back in kahootz with me. I fell for it, but I've been doing quite well with his referrals.

And since I'm already rambling in print,

Watch out for the elderly in condos.

I did work for one fellow on an emergency call, 6 others followed with water heater replacements and a slew of other jobs.

Well, the last job I did was for the president of the association and I had to charge her signficantly higher for the water heater replacement than everyone elses. It just happened that way, couldn't control it.

Haven't stepped back in that building since, I guess I should work cheaper because she's the president? Absolutely not.

Once again, by the time I got to her, I was getting chopped at for "by the way" calls that would take 10 minutes in one unit, half hour in another and IF I did instant 1 hour charges, that gets everyone mad. But guess what? I still ended up in the same boat, not working for them.

My intentions are to say no if they ever call for plumbing services again; just going to tell them that I'm always booked 4 days in advance.

One of them called this year trying to whittle me down on a garbage disposal replacement, trying to get me to do it for $70 12 miles away.

Sometimes it's just best to walk away, say no. I take the positive as I made a few thousand dollars in the time I worked for them and there's always going to be customers fo me.

I often catch myself being the same type of person they are, being unloyal.

I don't purposely go to the same place, time after time after time and again. I don't know why, but it seems like it's just a habit of mine. I shouldn't let my customers affect me in this way as well, even though it will from time to time.

But when I realize the circumstance, it seems like the ones I treated better on the pricing are the first that betray, find someone else.

Maybe somebody up above is trying to teach an important lesson,

Stay on course and don't give some better pricing than others. That's where I get my *** in a ringer every time.

Off I ride into the sunset.........
                          Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

Dunbar,
                            you are a diamond in the rough. Just don't get your pecker stuck in a empty bottle as you're pissing in your truck. I have a travel urinal and can actually piss while driving.

Comment

Originally posted by Bogart View Post
                              Dunbar,
                              you are a diamond in the rough. Just don't get your pecker stuck in a empty bottle as you're pissing in your truck. I have a travel urinal and can actually piss while driving.

Ssssshhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. Nobody knows that about me on this site.

I gotta reputation to keep up! Quick! Thank my thread as I'm low on reputation points.

(requests name change immediately)
                              Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

Working...
                              X