Gas leak

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gas leak

Yesterday I got a call from one of my plumbers who was setting trim at a building which houses an appliance manufacturer's showroom. He said that he could hear a noise in the wall behind a gas oven which he'd hooked up last week. No smell, just a hissing noise. Today he investigated. After removing some tile and sheetrock from the room that shares the wall with the oven at approx. the location of the noise, he discovered a hole in a steel gas line. It seems one of the brilliant employees of the GC was setting anchors in the tile and....I guess he didn't notice how hard the pipe was.
    Somehow the building (and the people in it) didn't go up in smoke. I'd say it qualifies for a stupidity award.

Re: Gas leak

I'd say it qualifies for a "OMG, I'm so lucky' award.

Comment

Stainless steel tubing? or Black iron pipe?

Comment

your guy has a good ear

Comment

Originally posted by chemeng View Post
          stainless steel tubing? Or black iron pipe?
          steel

Comment

I'm just disappointed he waited overnight to decide if he should investigate the hissing sound coming from within the wall, and the fact that he called you to tell you about it, but you did not make him immediately investigate it further. I might not have the proper certifications, but there is no way in hell I'm leaving a job hearing a hissing noise coming from behind a wall without determining the problem.
            Last edited by Devine Plumbing; 12-31-2008, 12:26 AM.
            Distractions are everywhere, don't lose sight of your dream.

Comment

Originally posted by Devine Plumbing View Post
              I'm just disappointed he waited overnight to decide if he should investigate the hissing sound coming from within the wall, and the fact that he called you to tell you about it, but you did not make him immediately investigate it further. I might not have the proper certifications, but there is no way in hell I'm leaving a job hearing a hissing noise coming from behind a wall without determining the problem.
              Geeez Devine, you have ba**s, that's for sure. There was no odor to accompany the noise, proper chain of command was followed and no harm was done. Avoidance of panic and attention to order in an organization is preferable to rash judgment and emotion.

Who are you to judge? A little arrogant don't you think?
              spodelee

Until lions have their own storytellers, stories of the hunt shall always glorify the hunter

Comment

Originally posted by spodelee View Post
                Geeez Devine, you have ba**s, that's for sure. There was no odor to accompany the noise, proper chain of command was followed and no harm was done. Avoidance of panic and attention to order in an organization is preferable to rash judgment and emotion.

Who are you to judge? A little arrogant don't you think?
                I am not judging anyone, just calling attention to the fact that it may have not been handled in the most effective manner. However, I guess you tend to think a little differently when you don't have a 10 million dollar liability policy. I commend the employee on calling his boss, just kind of disappointed by all parties that the job was left without determining the cause. I guess hindsight is 20/20 though. It would have taken about 15 minutes or less to determine the cause of the leak. I hiss is usually one of two things, a leak in a compressed line or some type of snake. Just stating that I wouldn't have left it or told an employee not to worry about it until tomorrow, and I don't think you would have either. You want to see rash judgement and panic. Wait until you see the owner of the appliance showroom after he realizes the contractors he hired to do the job burned his building to the ground. Again, no disrespect to Plumbus or anyone else on the board.
                Last edited by Devine Plumbing; 12-31-2008, 02:13 AM.
                Distractions are everywhere, don't lose sight of your dream.

Comment

Originally posted by Devine Plumbing View Post
                  I am not judging anyone
                  Yes, you are.
                  Anyone can tear a man down, few can build one up.

Comment

Sorry guys but I have to agree with Devine here. Letting that go, chain of command or not wasn't cool. What could have been, fortunatly was not.
                    sigpic

Comment

Quote: "A little arrogant don't you think?"

You can never have enough arrogance when dealing with natural gas.

Comment

It does sound like to me it would have well worth the time to drill a hole and put a sniffer in the cavity and do a check that way,
                        Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
                        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                        "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
                        attributed to Samuel Johnson
                        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                        PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

For the sake of editing, when I said he contacted me, I should have said he contacted his supervisor. I'm unaware of the circumstances of this contact, whether it was during the day or after work. Nor due I know the text of the contact, whether he expressed alarm or mentioned it in passing. I was informed of the situation on the day the leak was discovered. As for lack of immediate response, you have a good point. However, the plumber on the job is experienced. He did investigate, though not with a sniffer. Perhaps the thought of a damaged steel line in an otherwise unharmed wall did not even occur to him or his supervisor (who wasn't at the jobsite). I wasn't there, so I don't know what he heard. I'm awaiting his full report of the incident, which I won't get until next week. It should be interesting.

Comment

i agree that some thing should have bin done right away ,if you hear a hissing noise ina wall where you know there is a gas line then checking it out would be the first thing i would have done . now devines choice of words could have bin a little different .
                            im glad nothing did happen and your man was able to fined the problem
                            Charlie

My seek the peek fundraiser page
                            http://observatory.mountwashington.o...nal&fr_id=1040

http://www.mountwashington.org/weather/conditions.php

new work pictures 12/09
                            http://public.fotki.com/hvachawk/

Comment

Originally posted by HVAC HAWK View Post
                              i agree that some thing should have bin done right away ,if you hear a hissing noise ina wall where you know there is a gas line then checking it out would be the first thing i would have done . now devines choice of words could have bin a little different .
                              im glad nothing did happen and your man was able to fined the problem
                              I was probably a little hard on good ol' Devine, but I think sometimes it's too easy to pass judgement on this board. I guess that one got under my skin. It's always easy to quarterback after the fact.
                              spodelee

Until lions have their own storytellers, stories of the hunt shall always glorify the hunter

Comment

Working...
                              X