X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tools

I have been going through equipment ideas for my business (see Kenetic water ram post).

The Water Ram has me worried so I will pass, I have bad enough luck without blowing apart pipes...

I just purchased a Dewalt right angle drill ( I'm not sure how I have survived without one of these ( I will also use it to spin 1 1/4 cable thanks Rick)

My next planned purchase is a small electric or gas jetter but I have a few questions...

I have myself convinced that this is a good idea for slow washer drains. Will 1/8 jetter line feed through a 1.5" trap?

I really would like an electric jetter but I'm concerned it will lack the cleaning power but the headache of a gas jetter on my truck bothers me as well...

I have $2000 to spend and will only be going after slow washer drains but will go after more if the equipment will do it.

What is the best bang for my $ in an electric and a gas jetter?

I prefer Ridgid but have not heard alot about their small electric and gas jetters.

Your thoughts?

Okie
    Last edited by OkieBill; 12-31-2008, 09:32 PM. Reason: Happy New Years!!!

Re: Tools

bill actually gene bickford turned me onto the drill idea

an electric jetter is actually not all that it's cracked up to be.

my largest electric unit is 2h.p. draws close to 20 amps and delivers 2.1gpm @1500#. this is ok for 2'' laundry and kitchen lines, but tripping breakers are always a challenge.

my 6.5 gas jetter is a decent substitute. it's 2500# @3gpm. easy to start and runs very well. i would defiantly consider the 6.5 over the electric. easy to keep it outside and run a jumper hose with foot pedal through the door or window. plus there is over 2 times the cleaning power.

rick.
    phoebe it is

Comment

Thanks Gene

Rick who makes your 6.5?

Comment

I have spent the morning going through the "Jetter" posts in the drain cleaning forum...

I have decided the easiest solution to my situation is to approach the problem like selecting sewer machines. I will need to have a machine sized to each job.

It also appeared that just like with Cable machine choices (The drum vurses sectional debate comes to mind) we all have our opinions and methods...

Here is the information I have pulled out of all of the posts I read.

-GPM greater than PSI

-Jetting can be messy so be ready to handle water possible comming back at you ( Bucket / shop vac / drop cloth / towels)

- Pulse control helps move head down the line

- Small electric jetters below 2 HP and below 3 gpm are limited use machines (1.5-2" lines)

- Pay attention to the listed amp draw on an electric jetter ( a 20 amp jetter is worthless to you in a residental application since it will almost instantly trip a residental outlet circuit)

-To clean 3" lines you need a minimum of 5 GPM for soft clogs and light roots.

-To clean 3" you need 7-12 GPM (or more) for roots and a good root head

- The best root head is the Roothawg by stoneage tools

- The root ranger is also good but is designed for use with the Ridgid KJ-4000 so it is limited in use to smaller lines due to low flow rate of KJ-4000

- Jetting above 6 GPM really requires a holding tank

- A holding tank and a bypass on your pump will greatly extend your pump life

- Nozzle orifice sizing is a key factor in effective jetting

- Proper hose material and length effect pressure drop of the pump and feedability of the head

- Gas jetters need to be derated at elevations above 5000' and only run to rated specifications under ideal conditions. ( Always slightly oversize gas motor pump combinations)

- General Cable has a better selection of jetters than Ridgid but not the quality

That is the bulk of it

Am I missing anything of importance?

Okie

Comment

A 15 minute phone call to Rick would have saved you the 6 hours of reading 50 different posts

The Ridgid KJ-1350 and KJ-1750 says they will do 4" lines but I wonder about it's effectiveness at 1.4 gpm. If you dial back the pressure with a 2 HP motor it will draw less amps, right?

Can someone pass on the specs. of the motor that comes with the KJ-1750?

I wrote down this morsel of info a few weeks ago:

PSI X GPM divided by 1100 = HP
          Last edited by plumberscrack; 01-01-2009, 04:19 PM.

Comment

We never used an electric jetter ours were always gas. They all had Honda engines as Hondas seem to have fewer problems. They were all about 3000 psi and 4 gpm. They did a decent job on 3" & 4" laterals outside and miscellaneous yard drains. For inside we had 2-50' high-pressure hoses on a hose reel and a small stainless steel braided line on a second hose reel. If the line we were cleaning was less than 50' from where we staged the machine we would use one hose. If it was greater than 50' we would use both hoses. Once we got the high-pressure hose to the drain we would connect it to the second hose reel with the smaller line. All of the quick-connect connectors were rated at 5,000 psi and did not leak. We did not use foot pedals and instead had throttling valves. We did not do as many residential sinks as we did commercial. We use to do a whole bunch of restaurants and movie theaters. I would say the majority of our jetter work was in 1 1/2" & 2" lines.

Mark
            "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Originally posted by plumberscrack View Post
              A 15 minute phone call to Rick would have saved you the 6 hours of reading 50 different posts

The Ridgid KJ-1350 and KJ-1750 says they will do 4" lines but I wonder about it's effectiveness at 1.4 gpm. If you dial back the pressure with a 2 HP motor it will draw less amps, right?

Can someone pass on the specs. of the motor that comes with the KJ-1750?

I wrote down this morsel of info a few weeks ago:

PSI X GPM divided by 1100 = HP
              I'm gonna guess that the Ridgid KJ-1750 will dial the pressure back but at the outlet through volume restriction.... I doubt the motor has Variable Frequency Capability ( to actually adjust RPM) though it may have a low and high or 3 speed capability....

Rick has never given me his phone #

This thread went dead last night so I thought I was on my own and started reading

Comment

Originally posted by OkieBill View Post
                I'm gonna guess that the Ridgid KJ-1750 will dial the pressure back but at the outlet through volume restriction.... I doubt the motor has Variable Frequency Capability ( to actually adjust RPM) though it may have a low and high or 3 speed capability....

Rick has never given me his phone #

This thread went dead last night so I thought I was on my own and started reading
                That's easy, his number is 310-843-2378.

Mark

BTW: I was kidding but I am sure that is the number Rick wishes he had (310-The-Best)

Comment

That was good I was like !!!!! for a second...

I'm sure Rick will give me his number when I'm worthy

(Did I mention what a great guy Rick is and he convinced me to get the K60 "Impressionator")

P.s. Don't call the number listed by Mark.... The person at that number does not know any Ricks and has asked me to stop calling.
                  Last edited by OkieBill; 01-01-2009, 08:50 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by OkieBill View Post
                    That was good I was like !!!!! for a second...

I'm sure Rick will give me his number when I'm worthy

(Did I mention what a great guy Rick is and he convinced me to get the K60 "Impressionator")

P.s. Don't call the number listed by Mark.... The person at that number does not know any Ricks and has asked me to stop calling.
                    I'm sure Rick has no problem giving you his number. He spends half the night calling forum members. Any similarity seen between Rick and a teenage girl is strictly coincidental.

Marl

Comment

Originally posted by ToUtahNow View Post
                      I'm sure Rick has no problem giving you his number. He spends half the night calling forum members. Any similarity seen between Rick and a teenage girl is strictly coincidental.

Marl

Comment

okibill, you'r #'s are off a little bit.

a 6.5 is a good small machine that you can easily lift into and out of a truck. less than 100#

a 13 h.p is approx 3000# @4gpm. kj-3000. but this is a lot heavier.

a foot pedal is far superior than a shut off valve. it frees up both hands and gives you the ability to pulse by tapping on the pedal. a spray wand will do the same, but you need a hand to operate.

gpm is more important than psi.2.1 x 1500 is a good # for electric.

you're right with selecting a jetter. too big and it's too much water. too small and it's a toy.

i chose between my 2 h.p electric, 6.5 gas, 18 gas or 24 gas.

rick.
                        phoebe it is

Comment

Working...
                        X