X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Toto dual flush install

I thought the same thing about the whole paper thing and the .8 gpf, but at least with the Caroma Caravelle 305 (of which I have 2) .5gpf clears liquid waste and a couple of sheets of paper every time. Havn't had to use a plunger in my house since installing the Caroma's (replacing the spec'd trac house cheapo's)
    Greg

Comment

I was considering getting that toilet for my half bath. The last thing I want to do is remove a tank to replace the fill valve. Not cool.

I have already read about people using the .9 flush for #2 and they say it works just fine.

I'll just stick to my Toto Drake.
      Last edited by Tyman; 01-01-2009, 11:19 AM.
      Anyone can tear a man down, few can build one up.

Comment

I like the Idea of getting away from wax gaskets and our current way of connecting toilets to toilet flanges. That toto system doesn't look like the best system though.

I do not like the idea of using less water to get human waste out of our houses. I think we would be better served with a flapper system less prone to leaking . I think thats the best place to work on water conservation. Not as touchy feely, feel good though.

I understand this isn't a debate about dual flushers, so I will thank Rick for an informative post and pictures.

My only question is will a toilet seat bidet fit on it????

Comment

Originally posted by saysflushable View Post

My only question is will a toilet seat bidet fit on it????

Of course!
          Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

Rick,
            What's in the bottom of that toilet bowl in your photo? Did someone try to test it dry?

Comment

I've got one question for Rich.
              Did you figure out that the flex needed to be connected prior to mounting the tank before or after you mounted it?

Comment

Originally posted by Chemeng View Post
                Rick,
                What's in the bottom of that toilet bowl in your photo? Did someone try to test it dry?
                there is a large red decal that is glued to the top of the bowl mounting pad where tank is conneted. a piece of paper just fell in.

Originally posted by Plumbus View Post
                I've got one question for Rich.
                Did you figure out that the flex needed to be connected prior to mounting the tank before or after you mounted it?
                the decal actually mentioned this.

too bad i didn't think about the toilet seat bolts prior to mounting the bowl and tank.

if it was a standard seat, then i could have used the enclosed rubber expansion bolts to attach.

whats going to be a bummer down the road is when the feed line or ballcock needs replacing. if the tank bolts get stuck, grinding them off is going to be difficult.

rick.
                phoebe it is

Comment

What really irks me about this toilet is that you spend 500+ dollars on this toilets, and the screws they send withit are cheap POS, that strip easily if you arent extremely diligent
                  West Trail Mechanical Ltd
                  Service. Commitment. Expertise.

www.westtrailmechanical.ca

Comment

Originally posted by bigPipe09 View Post
                    What really irks me about this toilet is that you spend 500+ dollars on this toilets, and the screws they send withit are cheap POS, that strip easily if you arent extremely diligent
                    actually the toilet was 249 and the screws are fine. what i don't like is the difference in mounting the toilet. the water ruff needs to be more than 6'' left. the tank to bowl connection is odd.

i do like the other toto skirted toilets, carlyle that allows for a 10,12,14'' install. this one is strictly a 12'' design.

rick.
                    phoebe it is

Comment

the water ruff needs to be more than 6'' left. the tank to bowl connection is odd.

Because of that little detail, whenever my guys are roughing in for a Toto, they call to check if it's a unifit. If they can't get an answer, they automatically rough the water in at 8".

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                        actually the toilet was 249 and the screws are fine. what i don't like is the difference in mounting the toilet. the water ruff needs to be more than 6'' left. the tank to bowl connection is odd.

i do like the other toto skirted toilets, carlyle that allows for a 10,12,14'' install. this one is strictly a 12'' design.

rick.
                        249?? Just priced one 449 + GST.....I've long suspected we are getting hosed up here on toto. What do you pay for an elongated drake, I pay 300 with seat. Geez Rick , I'm sure the screws were fine for a pro like you. But then again, what isn't easy for you?
                        West Trail Mechanical Ltd
                        Service. Commitment. Expertise.

www.westtrailmechanical.ca

Comment

Originally posted by bigPipe09 View Post
                          Geez Rick , I'm sure the screws were fine for a pro like you. But then again, what isn't easy for you?
                          Anyone can tear a man down, few can build one up.

Comment

Rick,

I am in the process of installing this toilet and I ran into a problem which you don't mention, so I am wondering what I am doing wrong. I got the bowl installed without any problems. The issue I am having is that when I place the tank on the bowl, the rubber gasket seems to keep the tank from properly seating on the bowl. I am afraid to crank on the mounting bolts to see if this brings it down as I don't want to crack the porcelin. Even if I put my weight on it, it doesn't seem to compress very much. I am thinking of buying a standard gasket from Home Depot instead of using the hard rubber gasket supplied by Toto. Do you have any advice based on your experience?

Thanks,
                            Brent

Comment

brent, this toto is from japan and is not an americanized design.

i would suggest to either return it or install the parts as they were supplied.

i don't recommend this toilet to anyone. it was my first and last install of this model.

this one was the trickiest one of the thousands of toilets i've installed.

rick.
                              phoebe it is

Comment

Rick,

My instincts were wrong. I went with your advice and used the gasket that came with the toilet and it was quite easy to attach the tank to the bowl after all. After reading your comments on attaching the seat, I enlisted my 8 year old daughter to assist in holding the nut through the small hole in the back of the toilet. What a stupid design! It's a good thing I have a young child, there's no way I could get my hand/arm in there to hold the nut. I must admit however that the seat is very solidly attached. It was a lot of work, but it's one heck of a secure toilet. My only other complaint is that the half flush is pretty weak compared to my other low flow toilets.

Thanks for your help.

Brent

Comment

Working...
                                X