Nice website you have there

I used to work for FW Harris, Inc

Comment

Re: yet another long-winded flatrate debate

Originally posted by plumberscrack View Post
      Welcome to the forum Everett
      Nice website you have there

I used to work for FW Harris, Inc
      Thanks. Hope I can add a little to the forum. Good to hear from a local.

Comment

When I go back into business (I haven't dropped my license just in case) I promise to charge all flat rate plumbers a flat rate price of $265.00 an hour, per man, plus material fee's, to build your home. If for some reason I run into unexpected problems during the build, I'll compensate my flat rate to pick up my losses. I'll be sure to tack on my 40% extra on my sub bids, which is a fair flat rate percentage.

Now, after reading how some plumbers are making $300.00-$400.00 an hr or more, the $265.00 is a very fair pricing, wouldn't you say....

Didn't that PDF say minimum of $265.00 for the removal and reinstall of a toilet. Which can be done in about 30 minutes total, starting time is when your on the job site. Sometimes it can be a little longer in getting those rusty nuts off, or a valve that wants to keep dripping. I can maybe see the charges, if you had a lot of overhead. And this would make you a very large company to have such an overhead.

But, if people are willing to pay this, because of their lack in getting more bids or they are impatience, then I guess its alright to charge them what you feel is right. Its a good thing I learned plumbing and heating when I was somewhat starting out, its even better I have good friends that are license in this field and we trade hands on experience from time to time....
        Last edited by garager; 01-02-2009, 06:27 PM.
        Great Link for a Construction Owner/Tradesmen, and just say Garager sent you....

http://www.contractorspub.com

A good climbing rope will last you 3 to 5 years, a bad climbing rope will last you a life time !!!

Comment

Originally posted by garager View Post
          When I go back into business (I haven't dropped my license just in case) I promise to charge all flat rate plumbers a flat rate price of $265.00 an hour, per man, plus material fee's, to build your home. If for some reason I run into unexpected problems during the build, I'll compensate my flat rate to pick up my losses. I'll be sure to tack on my 40% extra on my sub bids, which is a fair flat rate percentage.

Now, after reading how some plumbers are making $300.00-$400.00 an hr or more, the $265.00 is a very fair pricing, wouldn't you say....

Didn't that PDF say minimum of $265.00 for the removal and reinstall of a toilet. Which can be done in about 30 minutes total, starting time is when your on the job site. Sometimes it can be a little longer in getting those rusty nuts off, or a valve that wants to keep dripping. I can maybe see the charges, if you had a lot of overhead. And this would make you a very large company to have such an overhead.

But, if people are willing to pay this, because of their lack in getting more bids or they are impatience, then I guess its alright to charge them what you feel is right. Its a good thing I learned plumbing and heating when I was somewhat starting out, its even better I have good friends that are license in this field and we trade hands on experience from time to time....
          Just is case I am ever in the market, what will you rate being for hard working T&M plumbers.

Mark
          "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Originally posted by ToUtahNow View Post
            Just is case I am ever in the market, what will you rate being for hard working T&M plumbers.

Mark
            The right price Mark, but I cannot divulge pricing info on a forum, I just have a hard time doing so. Giving out labor pricing in a forum only helps a hack out. Now he can bid higher, but just slightly under my pricing and win those jobs. Then the HO's are to darn broke, to hire the right guys to come back and fix it.
            Great Link for a Construction Owner/Tradesmen, and just say Garager sent you....

A good climbing rope will last you 3 to 5 years, a bad climbing rope will last you a life time !!!

Comment

Garager almost all construction is flatrate. Unless a homeowner is naive enough to pay a mysterious number figured by T&M to have a house built, which rarely ever happens anymore. You give a fixed price for a contract of work. Same thing.
              Water Heater Reviews & Water Heater Information

Comment

Flatrate = bid contracting, only for smaller jobs.

Comment

Next time you build a house and the homeowner wants a bid, tell them:
                  "We don't give a flat price. We charge (x) per hour for labor. When the house is all finished we will tally up all the labor man-hours and add in material and then we'll tell how much you owe us for the house."
                  I'd like to see how that goes over with the customer. T&M is ridiculous in this case.

Comment

Originally posted by Service Guy View Post
                    Garager almost all construction is flatrate. Unless a homeowner is naive enough to pay a mysterious number figured by T&M to have a house built, which rarely ever happens anymore. You give a fixed price for a contract of work. Same thing.
                    You just happen to be working on the wrong projects. I would say 90% of the big customs we did were T&M no questions asked. That's what happens when you are working for big designers who can't make up their minds.

Mark
                    "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Actually I charge on the guesstimate and knowledge of how long the job takes me and how many men it'll take and plus material cost, which takes experience and years to do just that. $75.00 - $100.00 sq ft, I don't bid that way, I did when I first started. I've never had a blue print that went as according to plan, every single one of them gets altered for one reason or another. Many HO's will pay me, have paid me T&M for a build or a remodeling job. Maybe this won't happen in NYC or LA, but it certainly works for HO's in the Northern part of MN.

I'll do the same with just flooring, or just hanging drywall. I would also say that I'm slightly higher in pricing than other companies, due to my experience. I think that, the more years of experience, the higher you may charge, no difference than a real paying job. Now that times are tough, its biting me in the rear. This is was one of my reasons to get out and try something different. But I will go back to building just before I retire in life, heck it could be in a year if our economy picks back up.

Comment

Originally posted by ToUtahNow View Post
                        You just happen to be working on the wrong projects. I would say 90% of the big customs we did were T&M no questions asked. That's what happens when you are working for big designers who can't make up their minds.

Mark
                        I was typing while you posted this, Sooooooo true........

Comment

hate to say it, but flat rate and a contract bid is not the same.

flat rate comes from a book of different job descriptions.

a contract bid comes from year of experiance and doing a material take off.

that's the reason why companies employ estimators.

the contract work i worked on in the 80-90's started in the 100k range and worked it's way into the 5mil range. these contract prices were derived from a very sharp estimator spending anywhere from a week to several months to bid this job. if it was as simple as looking in a magical book, we wouldn't have needed a skilled estimator.

remember that bidding on a job by contract is not the same as showing up to a homeowner that called you for repairs and isn't getting bids.

if you ever get into real bid work, you can toss your flat rate book as it would be useless, unless you run low on toilet paper

rick.
                          phoebe it is

Comment

You guys still taking flat rate

Carl wasn't kidding when he suggested this was going to be a long one!

Isn't it funny how some of us aren't happy with the low ball unlicensed guy, some don't care for the high ball flat rate licensed and insured guy, some think the T&M guy short changes themselves.... nobody is happy except, well all be darn, our customers.

Devine has happy customers, so does Rick, Carl has his share, PlumbersCrack pleases more than a few, Dunbar has one... maybe two (sorry DB, couldn't resist) and yes, I have happy customers too.

So it appears nobody is right and their is plenty of work to go around for all types of personalities, incomes and lifestyles.

IMHO, companies shape their destiny, culture and clientèle by their services, policies, procedures, people and yes... price.

There are plenty of people to go around for everyone - rich, poor, cheap, blue collar, spoiled, snotty, busy, lazy, etc...

As long as an organization is doing business in a reasonably ethical manner, people who want the type of service that you provide will find you and will be happy with your service.
                            spodelee

Until lions have their own storytellers, stories of the hunt shall always glorify the hunter

Comment

Originally posted by spodelee View Post
                              So it appears nobody is right and their is plenty of work to go around for all types of personalities, incomes and lifestyles.

IMHO, companies shape their destiny, culture and clientèle by their services, policies, procedures, people and yes... price.

There are plenty of people to go around for everyone - rich, poor, cheap, blue collar, spoiled, snotty, busy, lazy, etc...

As long as an organization is doing business in a reasonably ethical manner, people who want the type of service that you provide will find you and will be happy with your service.

I am done here too. I couldn't resist bringing the topic up after reading crack's post about the flatrate cable job. But now on to more interesting discussion.

Comment

Let's talk about sectionals and drums now!
                                "Man will do many things to get himself loved, he will do all things to get himself envied." Mark Twain

Comment

Working...
                                X